PDA

View Full Version : Information about the different bombs/rockets

WildeSau
10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Can anyone explain the difference between the different bombs and rockets used in PF (or also FB).

When to use which rocket or bomb? i.e. the parabomb - what is it for?

I think the Corsair can carry up to three different types of rockets - which one is used against which targets.

Thanks and good hunting. Michael the WildeSau

WildeSau
10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Can anyone explain the difference between the different bombs and rockets used in PF (or also FB).

When to use which rocket or bomb? i.e. the parabomb - what is it for?

I think the Corsair can carry up to three different types of rockets - which one is used against which targets.

Thanks and good hunting. Michael the WildeSau

TC_Stele
10-28-2004, 09:48 AM
I have a question about the parafrags too. Dont have the game yet but do you have to release them at a certain height or do they explode on ground impact?

Tater-SW-
10-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Parafrags were used for attacking airfields (to knock out parked planes). They were also effective vs AAA, dunno about in PF.

They should be dropped LOW. 20-30m was typical (what's the point of parachutes of you drop them high? Remember they were only 23lb bombs, and parachutes were to avoid damage to yuor plane from a 23lb bomb. That should tell you how low to drop. If the AI hasn't massively changed, I'm afraid there will be no way to use them effectively with AI planes. I can barley get them to skip bomb at 200ft alt in AEP, and we need them lower by 10X to parafrag.

tater

WildeSau
10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
where can I get a list from all the bombs and rockets used in FB/PF with information about what they are used for? I somewhere read that such a list exists. Can someone tell me where.

In the readme file, nothing is mentioned.

Thanks.

Moog42
10-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Set up a QMB on the Okinawa map, attack armour, start at 500m (or higher if you need more time to spot vehicles), and take the B-25 for a spin with the 40xparafrag loadout. Targets are ahead of you on the other side of the first bridge, at a kink in the road just before the large town.

Obviously in real life these things could be dropped from lower altitudes but in PF they have a nasty kickback so you need to eithter experiment with altitudes or else set a longer fuse delay.

Watching the B-25 streak over the convoy at 60 or 70m, raining all those tiny parachutes down, and checking out the resulting explosions, is very gratifying indeed!

Tater-SW-
10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
They should do nothing at all to armor, they are 23 pound anti-personel bombs.

tater

Moog42
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Setting the target to ARMOUR doesn't mean that you'll be attacking just tanks and other AFVs... there are plenty of light-skinned vehicles in the convoy. Take these out with the parafrags to cause some chaos on the roadway, then manouver for a second pass with the B-25's mighty meaty guns and attack the armoured vehicles from the rear where their armour is weakest.

Besides, I've seen things happen in this game that couldn't possibly happen in real life. But if my mission is to destroy a target with the armament I'm given, then that's what I'm gonna do. Adapt your tactics to the game, not the other way around, otherwise you'll just end up angry.

Tater-SW-
10-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I think any MG in il-2 kills a tank at some point, which an infinite number of rounds wouldn't even damage. So it goes. There wasn't much armor in the PTO anyway.

tater