PDA

View Full Version : 190 engine damage.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Does the 190 now suffer from weak engine armor?

I flew some quick missions in the 190 the other day and 3 missions in a row my engine was made inoperable from ground fire.

I havn't tested this extensively so it could be a freak thing.

Any one else have this prob?

Also I always thought the 3d model of the the 190 looked a bit wrong but I couldnt put my finger on it.
Now I know why, in all pictures I have seen of the 190 there is an armour ring around the cowling that makes the space between the spinner and the cowling much less.
It looks like it has one in FB but it is not rearly wide enough.

It also makes the 190 look more streamlined instead of blunt nosed like it is in FB.

Did pilots have these removed to save weight or is it a flaw in the external 190 3d model?

"Do unto others before they do unto you"

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Does the 190 now suffer from weak engine armor?

I flew some quick missions in the 190 the other day and 3 missions in a row my engine was made inoperable from ground fire.

I havn't tested this extensively so it could be a freak thing.

Any one else have this prob?

Also I always thought the 3d model of the the 190 looked a bit wrong but I couldnt put my finger on it.
Now I know why, in all pictures I have seen of the 190 there is an armour ring around the cowling that makes the space between the spinner and the cowling much less.
It looks like it has one in FB but it is not rearly wide enough.

It also makes the 190 look more streamlined instead of blunt nosed like it is in FB.

Did pilots have these removed to save weight or is it a flaw in the external 190 3d model?

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 05:54 PM
S!

What i can tell you for sure is the engine of the 190 its the weak spot of this plane.

<O_

HAUPTMANN LBR=Rommel 1º Technischer Offizier TOS I/JG52 - Erst Staffel - Nr.7
http://www.luftwaffebrasil.hpg.com.br

Message Edited on 09/17/0304:56PM by LBR_Rommel

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Planes with historically tough radial engines like the 190 and P-47 have relatively fragile engines while inline planes like the Yak and Lagg have extremely durable engines. Go figure. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 05:15 PM
yup that is one thing FB still has upside down /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Official Sig:

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/shots/Vipez4.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 03:55 AM
The engine should be really tough in the 190.
Not only did the 190 have an armour ring around the cowling but also had a fan made of armour atached to the spinner. With both of these there was no gap between the edge of the fan and the armour ring.

Anyone know about the armour ring issue?

The 3d model in the game is way out compared to pictures.

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 03:59 AM
Salute

Last night had my P-47 engine destroyed by a few pops from a He-111 LMG. At nearly 5.0 range.

Completely wrong.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 04:04 AM
I have seen on here where people have tested it extensively, and the results seem to indicate, 2 to 3 mg rounds cause major damage to the engine. Radials should be much stronger. I compare radials to that of the P-47. That bird has lots of documentation about the durability of a radial engine. Not to mention the 190 has the extra armour around it.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci