PDA

View Full Version : Yes AOB ????????? again

Gouldjg
04-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi all

I have patched to 1.2 and like the no weapon officer option as well as the protractor tool.

With the map update and the protractor tool I am able to get a quick AOB without any maths work.

Just in case others are a numb as me, all I do is put the protractor on my ship nose then to the targets nose then to the targets bearing. Fine this seems to work fine while i get map contact data.

I now want to try no map contact data and understand that more more work needs to be done i.e. getting target bearings etc.

How do others do (i.e. what do i need to do) and has there been any decent tutorials out yet so as I can now print and learn. Search is useless on this forum.

I do think (on realistic settings) we should be given an option of a mark button once he have taken the range. This would at least simulate someone listening to your inputs and marking on map as what would have happened in a real sub. Even if there was a time limit or conditions as to the marked target.

Also I think we should be able to ask the sound man to track either warships or merchants. That way we can at least get the feeling we are involved in a hare and hound chase when being dicovered. I dont like hearing merchant contacts when under dc run by dds. I just want DD contacts. Can this be modded or patched into the game I wonder.

Ideally I would love a drawing tool on the map screen that draws a contact where you can input speed range AOB and then continually update it.
Much more realist than the current situation me thinks.

Gouldjg
04-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi all

I have patched to 1.2 and like the no weapon officer option as well as the protractor tool.

With the map update and the protractor tool I am able to get a quick AOB without any maths work.

Just in case others are a numb as me, all I do is put the protractor on my ship nose then to the targets nose then to the targets bearing. Fine this seems to work fine while i get map contact data.

I now want to try no map contact data and understand that more more work needs to be done i.e. getting target bearings etc.

How do others do (i.e. what do i need to do) and has there been any decent tutorials out yet so as I can now print and learn. Search is useless on this forum.

I do think (on realistic settings) we should be given an option of a mark button once he have taken the range. This would at least simulate someone listening to your inputs and marking on map as what would have happened in a real sub. Even if there was a time limit or conditions as to the marked target.

Also I think we should be able to ask the sound man to track either warships or merchants. That way we can at least get the feeling we are involved in a hare and hound chase when being dicovered. I dont like hearing merchant contacts when under dc run by dds. I just want DD contacts. Can this be modded or patched into the game I wonder.

Ideally I would love a drawing tool on the map screen that draws a contact where you can input speed range AOB and then continually update it.
Much more realist than the current situation me thinks.

iso8859-1
04-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I didn't try it so far - but you could do some triangulation using the circle.

First, you determine the range using you periscope. Then you draw a circle around your position with the determined range as radius.

2nd, you use the direction of the contact using the hydrophone or the bearing of your contact from the periscope and draw a line from your sub in the direction of the contact.

Where the line and the circle hit, there ist the estimated position of the ship.

You redo steps 1 and 2 some time later. The connection between the two positions is the course of the enemy ship (with some error due to bad distances and miscalculations in angle)

If you repeat it several times (more than 2 positions) the course will be clearer.

now you can do what you want without the automatic map.