PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft drifting....

InCiSiOn89
10-25-2005, 05:40 PM
This has also been bothering me lately and just now i am getting annoied ia m not sure if its some game setting or wat.....but my aircraft either drifts to the left or to the right when i am not dooing anything and i have to fight it while i am flying and that throws me off big time........for example the yak always drifts to the right and i have to fight it the entire flight........wtf it is annyoing me :-( and other planes do the same thing to the left... it isnt just a little bit its like A LOT if i leave it alone it makes me go inverted.....anyone know wats going on!!!

:-(

FritzGryphon
10-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Torque (propellor drag) causes the aircraft to roll opposite the turning of the propellor.

Slipstream (air vortex from the propellor) makes airflow different over each wing, making roll too. This airflow also strikes one side of the vertical stabilizer, causing yaw.

In cruising, these effects can be eliminated or reduced with trim (in planes that have rudder or aileron trim). In combat, manual compensation is required, something that will get better with practice.

InCiSiOn89
10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
ooo thanks!

FritzGryphon
10-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Or you can just turn it off in the difficulty options.

danjama
10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah that would only ruin the whole point of a flight simulation! LOL

Sorry just adding to post count!

Xiolablu3
10-25-2005, 07:52 PM
I think this is the best way to explain it. (its torque btw)

Think of a very well oiled tube in side another tube spinning very fast.

However much you oil/lubricate the 2 tubes, there will be slight friction between the 2, causing the outer tube to turn.

The faster the inner tube turns, the faster the out tube will turn....

This is the effect you get when you rev the engine high, the plane rolls slightly as the power increases.

Depending on which way the engine turns, the plane will roll when its revved.

You can trim this out a bit using rudder trim to an extent in fighters, and using airelon trim in bombers.