PDA

View Full Version : Something you may not know.

relcox
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
According to one book I have, because of the build up of waste in the Uboat(they worried about tipping waste overboard in enemy waters) things started would start to get unbearable so in when the Bold device came into service some crew members took to using it to dispose of trash as well as its original function.

Would quote the paragraph, but don't know if I would infringe on copyright, anyone know?

Foehammer-1
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Didn't they just shoot it out of the tubes along with the "rescue packages" consisting of newspaper, bilge and food?

relcox
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
never heard of that being done, only know of it through Hollywood movies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You would have to be shallow for that would you not, if this sim is accurate in only letting you open your tubes above 20m, then if you tried that lower wouldn't you risk flooding the boat because the inner doors would not hold the pressure?

DarkOmen13
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
More interesting is the several different decoys they used, bold was one of several devices.
Can't remember all of them but there was a small battery powered torpedo thingie that sounded like u-boat propellers and was meant to distract enemy hydrophones while the real u-boat slipped away silently. However a half decent hydrophone operator would see right through it if the sea was calm enough.

They did use the bold canister because after a while it sinks and takes the rubbish to the bottom leaving nothing for the enemy to find.

I can possibly look up the others if anyone's interested. I actually have many books but the other decoys are only in one of them strangely...

D.

Realjambo
05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Would quote the paragraph, but don't know if I would infringe on copyright, anyone know?

I wouldn't worry too much, relcox - Which book is it you refer to?

relcox
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Wolf Pack by Gordon Williamson, published by a company called Osprey

VikingGrandad
05-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by DarkOmen13:
More interesting is the several different decoys they used, bold was one of several devices.
Can't remember all of them but there was a small battery powered torpedo thingie that sounded like u-boat propellers and was meant to distract enemy hydrophones while the real u-boat slipped away silently. However a half decent hydrophone operator would see right through it if the sea was calm enough.

They did use the bold canister because after a while it sinks and takes the rubbish to the bottom leaving nothing for the enemy to find.

I can possibly look up the others if anyone's interested. I actually have many books but the other decoys are only in one of them strangely...

D.

There's some brief details of other decoys here:

http://www.uboataces.com/sonar-decoys.shtml