PDA

View Full Version : New G940 firmware released!

Engadin
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi all! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

It looks like a Christmas present from the Logitech crew. Hope it is the right and definite driver for all us to enjoy it as promised:

'The gift' (http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming/G940-firmware-1-42-is-now-available/td-p/542496)

Enjoy!

Engadin

kimosabi79
12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Schwing!

Bearcat99
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
So how is that G90... I was thinking of getting one for a bit but I am so happy with my current setup..

binky9
12-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I've had mine only for a week,

What I have found out is that you ignore the Logitech assignment guide, and just use the Controls menu in IL2.

I'm still having trouble getting the throttles to work at anything but 0% and 110% thrust.

Having not used the G940 except for trying to sort it out, I think I still like my old CH pedals and MS FFB2 stick. But, that may change with use.

binky9

Sokol__1
12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
BC,

Before buy, read this: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthre..._In.html#Post2973351 (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2973351/My_G940_Throttle_Has_Turned_In.html#Post2973351)

Sokol1

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I have had my G940 since last xmas (or was it before that, the xmas after it was released anyway) and they are like new. As for the throttle trims I believe this has been fixed with a firmware update, the posts linked were from march, there have been two firmware updates since then. The Reversal Bug is now gone for the X,Y axis and is being worked on for all other axis. The stick is SO much smoother and more accurate with the latest firmware update, I installed it last night and the difference was immediately noticeable! I've seen some posts from people having units go bad but the numbers are relatively low, people just see a bad report and automatically assume "Oh, it's the same Logitech quality control issues as with all their sticks", but I don't think it is, I see FAR less incidents of bad or failing units of the G940 than with their older wingman sticks.

If you like your current setup then I can't justify buying a G940, but if something dies or for those wanting to upgrade to HOTAS or FFB, go for it! Logitech is working really hard at improving the software and firmware on this stick, this is their flagship controller and they are not just putting it out there and letting it stand, it's getting better and better.

FishCookie
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
The Reversal Bug is now gone for the X,Y axis and is being worked on for all other axis. The stick is SO much smoother and more accurate with the latest firmware update, I installed it last night and the difference was immediately noticeable! I've seen some posts from people having units go bad but the numbers are relatively low, people just see a bad report and automatically assume "Oh, it's the same Logitech quality control issues as with all their sticks", but I don't think it is, I see FAR less incidents of bad or failing units of the G940 than with their older wingman sticks.

If you like your current setup then I can't justify buying a G940, but if something dies or for those wanting to upgrade to HOTAS or FFB, go for it! Logitech is working really hard at improving the software and firmware on this stick, this is their flagship controller and they are not just putting it out there and letting it stand, it's getting better and better.

I take no pleasure in disagreeing with you Urufu as a long time lurker I have great respect for your opinion, but the G940 reversal bug is not fixed for throttle&trims and as much as CharlesB at the Logitech forums is pushing for improvement his most recent statement on the non-ffb axis is that this is still in the proposal draft stage so claiming any further improvement will be made is optimistic but none-the-less false. The reversal bug in the throttles has ended my exploration of early jets as they flame-out constantly from rough throttle adjustment from the reversal bug, 4% change =flameout!
Couple that with the fact that the FFB trim in the DCS series doesn't work well, response curve doesn't follow trimmed position. I doubt that if trim is modelled correctly for FFB in SOW it'll work well with a short throw stick so the G940 is truly a waste of money.
I doubt though that Oleg will have invested any dev time to the FFB in SOW as it is so niche and the SDK's for the Logitech FFB API seem more racing sim orientated and short on guidance for Devs. So to provide anything over what we have in IL2 would require serious interaction with logitech meaning the 10 year old Microsoft solution is still probably the best for IL2 and I'd bet for SOW aswell. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

PS. My Warthog hotas arrives tomorrow, my G940 will be availble on Ebay starting for 100 mid January 2011.

Chivas
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I reinstalled my G940 last night and found a great improvement with the new firmware. The stick is much more accurate and the trim works well in IL-2. I'm not concerned about the throttle being alittle off as I don't do performance formation flying.

I could now easily recommend this Hotas.

Pudfark
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I much agree with Chivas and Urufu....it did make a big difference, though, after installing the firmware, I had to recalibrate the stick, no big deal...Well worth the trouble and much appreciate Logitech making a fix available...

A little more might need to be done...this is a very positive step in the right direction...

Chivas
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I just received the Warthog this afternoon.

First impressions flying IL-2.

The joystick is very very smooth. UNTIL you travel thru center. There is such a change in movement pressure that snap shots may be very difficult. Otherwise the Warthog is a joy to fly with.

Ground pounding is very good, Boom and Zoom very good, Turn and Burn good, except for the abrupt pressure changes thru center. The MSFF2 is better, and now with the new G940 firmware its better, for turn and burn combat.

The throttle is great with one major flaw for my flying is there is no rotary on the Throttle handle.

The programming software is very easy to use, and intuitive. With this software and all the buttons, switches, etc you have the options you'll ever need.