PDA

View Full Version : Just what constitutes an arcade server...?

Bearcat99
10-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I was reading a thread in here today about having fun on arcade servers.. That got me to thinking... I know for some people anything other than full settings ins arcade.. but for me... if it doesn't have map icons and/or open pit with icons then it isn't arcade. That is my definition of what an arcade sever is.. but what are some of yours'? Just what exactly makes a server an arcade server in your book. I have found that flying in a server with open pit and no icons or padlock can be just as challenging and as fun as flying in one with different settings.. for me the things that turns a server arcade are the arrows and the blue/red plane radar screen.. I am definitely not in the anything but full=arcade mentality... how about you folks..

waffen-79
10-14-2007, 03:28 PM
For me the servers I'm visiting lately are VMF-214 and Skies of VALOR apart from the mandatory squad coops

all of them have these in common, ckpit ON + Externals ON, everything else, set to real

and I have lots of fun

I don't own TIR nor have large amounts of time to spare flying +20 min sorties on "full real" servers

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Full real is every difficulty option to ON

speedbar on or off doesn't really influence reality I think. Because in real life it should be easier to check your speed, alt and heading then it is in a flightsim.

Any other difficulty option unchecked is less real to me. Altough I am currently unsatisfied with how the map works right now. Pilots should have their own airfields and an aproximate frontline available on their maps, even without icons set to ON. I refuse to believe that WWII pilots must have guessed where their own airfields where.

LEBillfish
10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
"Just what constitutes an arcade server"?

Well, usually simply the settings that another doesn't want to fly at using the word "arcade" to try and boost their own lacking ego via insulting another persons choices.

Point Blank.....

All settings here have their severe flaws....First off at full switch, waypoints are missing from the map which makes some routes impossible to follow and we know how easily AI gets confused when bombing if not. Take offs are rediculous in that you would know what the field looks like and be guided through hazards like other planes and such. Additionally you would be better informed in flight by both other planes in the group and ground. Naturally in cockpit views are no where near as good as the real thing. Speedbar is an immersion killer YET many compasses and even gauges are too difficult to read if at least not quickly as you'd be able real life, in kind "feel" like for speed is lost, so your touch with reality lost as well. Lastly your tracking of planes though very similar to our padlock would allow for better SA and reacqisition of the other plane you were tracking.

Compromised switching is just as flawed....Icons on a killer for immersion yet at times a required evil due to the poor view a PC gives toward recognition....Add waypoints to the map, and suddenly you have your own plane icon showing you your location. External views though helping ease some of the flaws of the above no external, also have built in abuses being F2/F6/F7.

On and on as you gradually switch things off though gaining better realism over a flaw of the above, you also lose another aspect THOUGH most often simply due to others abusing flaws in the reduced settings.

In the end some items (unlimited fuel/ammo/no damage, on and on simply clearly arcade like in their use....YET....That is exactly the experience some want, so fine by me yet doesn't mean I have to fly it OR hammer on them for their choices.

na85
10-14-2007, 04:06 PM
The server I was talking about in my thread has:

Icons on
map icons on
padlock on

limited ammo
limited fuel

all physics settings on

I don't play unlimited ammo b/c it makes me get into bad habits (spray and pray, etc)

and I find that when most people are taking 25% fuel, it's a valid tactic to run someone's engine dry if they're persistent in chasing you.

JG52Uther
10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

speedbar on or off doesn't really influence reality I think. Because in real life it should be easier to check your speed, alt and heading then it is in a flightsim.

Any other difficulty option unchecked is less real to me. Altough I am currently unsatisfied with how the map works right now. Pilots should have their own airfields and an aproximate frontline available on their maps, even without icons set to ON. I refuse to believe that WWII pilots must have guessed where their own airfields where.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

DKoor
10-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Just what constitutes an arcade server...? Basic requirement: Externals and pit off. Together or only one of those.

Originally posted by LEBillfish:

Well, usually simply the settings that another doesn't want to fly at using the word "arcade" to try and boost their own lacking ego via insulting another persons choices. +1

"Newcomer settings" would fit better.

Freelancer-1
10-14-2007, 05:01 PM
If I feel like I should pump a couple of quarters into my computer every time I spawn, then I know I'm on an arcade server.

Billy_DeLyon
10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Cockpit always on, and no external views, otherwise it's arcade.

Billfish makes many good points about the flaws of "full switch," but to me there's just no immersion if you're not stuck in the pit.

Having said that, "arcade" should not be taken as an insult, it's just a different way of having fun. It's nice to have the choice.

LEXX_Luthor
10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Yough Bear, the attitude of the players determine arcade or hardcore. Nothing else. The most hardcore players know how to have fun with their sim, free-for-all shooter+racing to the finish line, or Online War. Never forget, Online play is a social activity. Treat it as *exactly* that and you will be rewarded.

LW_lcarp
10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
If you find your a$$ strapped to the seat of a real airplane that is my definition of non arcade.

If you are sitting in a chair in a house that would be an arcade server.

JG52MadAdler
10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I host coops with Cockpit on and
very limited icons. I leave externals on because if you get KIA you can use static cameras and follow your buds plane instead of hitting the escape key.
All other switches to real.
Most of the players fly FR most of the time.
Its nice to be able to bring along some noobs once in a while too. Based on the team work and tactical objectives involved you can hardly call it arcade.

LEXX_Luthor
10-14-2007, 07:35 PM
LW_carp::
If you find your a$$ strapped to the seat of a real airplane that is my definition of non arcade.

That doesn't help, as nobody here is talking about flying real aircraft while playing the sim anyways.

...that's another mistake often made on the forums. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Bear, I was talking gameplay goals above. As for game settings, well...whatever works best. You used to fly WW cockpit but now fly cockpit, but you don't seem any more or less "hardcore" to me.

I was the opposite, chewing you out for WW cockpit, but now I use the WW cockpit setting in the StrikeFighters as that's how we use a level bombsight method as the game does not have any level bombsight features.

buzzsaw1939
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by LW_lcarp:

Now thats a bottom line nobody can argue with! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LW_lcarp
10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
LW_carp:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you find your a$$ strapped to the seat of a real airplane that is my definition of non arcade.

That doesn't help, as nobody here is talking about flying real aircraft while playing the sim anyways.

...that's another mistake often made on the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well its true cause it doesnt really matter what switches are on or off the only thing that matters is the person that purchaced the game is having fun with there investment.

When I first bought IL2 i played off line first 2 months and didnt even know there was a WW veiw. Went online and found that hey With my offline flying I can fly any server I want and I do still fly what ever I feel like flying.

Bearcat99
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

Yeah but thats not what I asked... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

and mind you.. there is nothing wrong with arcade servers... they just arent for me... and like I said... for me... an arcade server is either one that is either open pit w icons (arrows) or arrows and red & blue planes, or some combination of the two on the map.

IMO even having your own plane on the map is not arcade... it isn't full either.. but it isnt arcade.. and externals... well the graphics are so d@mn good in this sim.. and if you are flying anything but a DF server where you can immediately respawn... it is a waste IMO.. Padlock? IMO it is a great equalizer... everyone doesnt have TIR... Icons? I cant speak for others.. but I loose targets easily in the weeds... and IMO it is partly because of the design of the sim... so I have my icons set tight.... e@ .7... f@ .9..

Oh... and I am not trying to start a chest thumping ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif K... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) contest.... to each his own.. I just hear (see) the term bandied about so much.. I was just curious as to what some of you thought an arcade server was.... I personally find the full settings only fun depending on the circumstances...

ImMoreBetter
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I personally don't classify externals or speedbar on "arcade". Mostly because I've found them useful for finding things a real pilot would know already.

I draw the line at padlocks and unlimited ammo/fuel.

Bearcat99
10-14-2007, 09:11 PM
One thing o=I would really like to see would e being able to split your padlock.... or disable certain keys from the server side so they no longer work... You could disable enemy padlock air.. but enable ground.. because I gotta tell ya.. sometimes i cant see targets if they aren't shooting at me... and IRL it wasn't as hard as it is in this sim.

Cajun76
10-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Yough Bear, the attitude of the players determine arcade or hardcore. Nothing else. The most hardcore players know how to have fun with their sim, free-for-all shooter+racing to the finish line, or Online War. Never forget, Online play is a social activity. Treat it as *exactly* that and you will be rewarded.

On pit off servers I've been asked if I have my pit enabled. I had pit off and for me that's a compliment, because no matter the settings, I strive to fly the a/c as a pilot, not a game.

Between my eyesight, monitor res, monitor problems and such, I just can't spot the little dots or recognize the a/c from far enough away. But I payed my money, and I'm going to enjoy myself.

View for me has little to do with realism, as Billfish said, there's trade offs for every view.

"arcade" and "WW" are so derogatory, but they're part of the LEXXicon.

Disregarding pit and icons, most switches should be on except maybe speedbar and flightpath. IMO they're needed. I don't use padlock myself, except groundpouding.

"Arcade" territory for me is when you have unrealitic damage, unlimited ammo, and the map set to full icons and objects. Turning off the physics, torque and such means your driving, not flying anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

fabianfred
10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
looking at the settings ...

seperate engine start/complex engine management/Torque & giro/flutter/wind & turbulence/stalls & spins/blackouts & redouts/cockpit always on/headshake/clouds/take-off & landing/realistic landings

these are all ON for a realistic feel...but rank beginners will need them off at first whilst getting used to flying and how the sim works

padlock and icons help with our lack of 3D vision/depth perception and generally better eyesight IRL
not forgetting that you can set a key to 'toggle icons' so you can switch them to off/range/type/name yourself if you dont want them on
speedbar is useful to those with poor eyesight...and some guages are just plain hard to read anyway
map icons are useful to beginners and also mission builders trying to test their missions
minimap path is useful to show your position on the map....especially useful if the external views are off...some like to practice their navigation with this off too....AI know their waypoints anyway, whether they are showing on the map or not
external views are best left unused during flight...but without them you cannot watch the action if you are down....you alone know whether you are using them in a cheating manner or not...up to you
engine overheat....sometimes this need to be off...just to be on a par with the AI....the mission builder will know best about this one
also the mission builder may make a mission which is very hard/outnumbered and just for the fun give unlimited ammo.....I have always suspected that the AI get more than us
realistic gunnery is useful to be off for a beginner....who wants to start making kills in QMB or off-line....
In a mission where the odds are great on one side the mission builder may decide it is better to have realistic gunnery OFF and limited ammo....rather than unlimited ammo with realistic gunnery....you are still prone to be sparing with your ammo and not spray & pray...but it has more effect
actually unrealistic gunnery has about three times the hitting power of normal...not the huge difference many think

I agree with Billfish's post about the ego thing too

Xiolablu3
10-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

Yeah but thats not what I asked... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

and mind you.. there is nothing wrong with arcade servers... they just arent for me... and like I said... for me... an arcade server is either one that is either open pit w icons (arrows) or arrows and red & blue planes, or some combination of the two on the map.

IMO even having your own plane on the map is not arcade... it isn't full either.. but it isnt arcade.. and externals... well the graphics are so d@mn good in this sim.. and if you are flying anything but a DF server where you can immediately respawn... it is a waste IMO.. Padlock? IMO it is a great equalizer... everyone doesnt have TIR... Icons? I cant speak for others.. but I loose targets easily in the weeds... and IMO it is partly because of the design of the sim... so I have my icons set tight.... e@ .7... f@ .9..

Oh... and I am not trying to start a chest thumping ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif K... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) contest.... to each his own.. I just hear (see) the term bandied about so much.. I was just curious as to what some of you thought an arcade server was.... I personally find the full settings only fun depending on the circumstances... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whirlin_merlin
10-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Well, usually simply the settings that another doesn't want to fly at using the word "arcade" to try and boost their own lacking ego via insulting another persons choices.

Spot on that.
I also agree with others who say it's about attitude.
What I find amazing is people 'whining' that others are ruining the game but not playing it they way they want them to.
For me there are two kinds of servers: those that attempt some kind of historical accuracy and those that don't. Settings are of less relevence, if I was to use the 'arcade' word then I would use it for the anyplane, anymarkings servers, whatever the settings. However I wont because everyone has the right to enjoy the thing as they see fit.

WOLFMondo
10-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Arcade = externals on etc. When a server allows F6 aces its arcade. FACT.

All settings here have their severe flaws....First off at full switch, waypoints are missing from the map which makes some routes impossible to follow and we know how easily AI gets confused when bombing if not.

A full switch DF server has no AI so its a non issue but the rest is down the map maker and there descriptions. Take Zeke VS Wildcat for instance, its full switch but I've only got lost before with maps which are 100% sea and I've got side tracked when someones called me on the phone or something. The way points are there when the mission designer puts them in because the direction indicator points to them.

Whirlin_merlin
10-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

People who make subjective statments and put FACT on the end should get out more. FACT.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WOLFMondo
10-15-2007, 03:26 AM
I've been out all weekend. Got a hangover and an empty wallet for the privilege.

Servers that allow F6 aces are arcade. It obviously hits a nerve.

Whirlin_merlin
10-15-2007, 03:44 AM
My tongue was in my cheek. If there was a switch in the dif settings that said arcade and it turned on externals you would be right, as it is this arcade word is one that has been applied to certain server settings it is not fact it's opinion. However I do understand what you mean.

I'm help fund/admin 3 servers 2 with externals 1 without, I play varing amounts on all 3 so no nerve hitting I'm afraid.
I just don't like it when people get on their high moral horses about how people choose to play a computer game after all whatever settings a server uses they are the same for everyone. It's a level playing field.

Viper2005_
10-15-2007, 04:27 AM
For me, the term "arcade server" simply implies that the gameplay is more like a coin-operated arcade game than a simulation of a realistic battle.

So you'll see things like WW view, or planesets which are identical for both sides, no ground targets and more often than not some kind of rule against vulching.

This generally results in the majority of the action taking place at 1000 m or below, and being based upon turning fights between Spitfires & La-7s. Typical sortie durations are around 5 minutes, and landings are rare.

There's nothing "wrong" with this at all, and I don't see why it's such a fraught issue.

The difference between "arcade" and er... "not arcade" is similar to the difference between say NASCAR and F1. They're related, yet different, sports. Some people are better at one, some people are better at the other, and a few are equally good at both.

Personally I have found that "arcade" servers place much more emphasis upon BFM, and are indeed a much better place to learn about it than the "not arcade" servers, wherein most kills don't involve a lot of fighting. Since I'm not very good at BFM, I don't do very well in arcade servers. Which is why I fly on them from time to time - No Pain, No Gain!

LEBillfish
10-15-2007, 05:40 AM

A full switch DF server has no AI so its a non issue but the rest is down the map maker and there descriptions. Take Zeke VS Wildcat for instance, its full switch but I've only got lost before with maps which are 100% sea and I've got side tracked when someones called me on the phone or something. The way points are there when the mission designer puts them in because the direction indicator points to them.

WOW!...*blush, swoon*...You must be "leet"! Who are you trying to impress?.......First off, not all planes have a repeater compass. In kind "fact" be known, an unending wave after wave of enemy planes coming to your base as you life after life, spawning and respawning as you count your points IS arcade....Yet to each their own.

Frankly, coops or online wars with no respawn (and better still unable to fly because of a loss) is closer to "un-arcade".....Yet in the end you'll find it the attitude of the players.

Do they follow the mission to a tee?....Do they RUN when a fight is not 110% in their favor?....Do they RTB when they should?....etc..Most of all, are folks following the rules....

Now I can tell you for a FACT....want FACTS, well here it is....That some play this game not using cheats when they could, and do quite well........One cheat F2/F6/F7....By far a valid and the ONLY!...are you reading this, ONLY justification for no externals. Yet I fly nightly with folks that follow the rules of no externals till out of action, this clearly seen as they follow the routes to a tee, and when in combat are clearly having to manuever the plane to see the enemy from an internal pit (not using F2/6/7).

Quite frankly if you're getting more then 1 air kill in 5 missions without a loss, 10:1 something is not exactly "non-arcade"......It's ALL arcade here or none of us would be typing this past our first death. So....

We are not impressed nor amused....*lofts nose high and snorts*

WOLFMondo
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Thats nice for you and your friends in your private co-ops or online wars where people will spend the time watching tracks but your average HL externals on server is packed full of unbouncable F6 aces whether you or I like it or not.

Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:

I just don't like it when people get on their high moral horses about how people choose to play a computer game after all whatever settings a server uses they are the same for everyone. It's a level playing field.

Im not on a moral horse or dictating how or where people should play. I answered the original question. Externals allowed = arcade servers. I don't like them, I don't play on them but I'm not telling anyone to not play on them.

Whirlin_merlin
10-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Im not on a moral horse or dictating how or where people should play. I answered the original question. Externals allowed = arcade servers. I don't like them, I don't play on them but I'm not telling anyone to not play on them.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough but some others do get very snooty.

I still think that there is really no such thing as 'arcade' or atleast its different to different people.
To you 'arcade' means external (F6etc) views enablled. And you don't like 'em.
To me 'arcade' means non-historic planesets (i.e same planes on both sides) no objectives etc. And I don't much like 'em.
To someone else it might be something different however we all tend to use it for servers that arn't our cup of tea.
Until the OED defines what an 'arcade' means in terms of IL2 servers when some of us will have to find a new word, it's no big deal.

LEBillfish
10-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo: Externals allowed = arcade servers. I don't like them, I don't play on them but I'm not telling anyone to not play on them.

Dogfight servers even full switch = arcade servers. I don't like them, I don't play on them but I'm not telling anyone to not play on them.

However, I can say that being "Leet".... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SlickStick
10-15-2007, 09:05 AM
My personal favorite Air Quake™ style server is all switches left, except "No Externals" and "Map". Of course, dots need to be set correctly via mp_dotrange to realistic distances. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

- Pit-on negates "invisible plane" deflection shooting, thus making gunnery skills imperative.

- No icons helps to improve situational awareness and increases the need to identify bogeys quicker.

- Externals keep things honest and on the same level, as technology is a big factor in All Switches Left™ servers.

SeaFireLIV
10-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I would answer this, but i`m wondering if it`s worth it, since it would be a long and detailed answer.

WOLFMondo
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM

However, I can say that being "Leet".... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

At least you could spell it correctly then :P

Worf101
10-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by JG52MadAdler:
I host coops with Cockpit on and
very limited icons. I leave externals on because if you get KIA you can use static cameras and follow your buds plane instead of hitting the escape key.
All other switches to real.
Most of the players fly FR most of the time.
Its nice to be able to bring along some noobs once in a while too. Based on the team work and tactical objectives involved you can hardly call it arcade.

+1 We in the 99th generally use these settings. It allows those of us with "less than optimal" eyesight to play and have fun. We turn off the speed bar now and then, but other than that, this is exactly how we run our Coops. Don't seem to have problems finding folks to join.

Da Worfster

msalama
10-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I leave externals on because if you get KIA you can use static cameras and follow your buds plane instead of hitting the escape key.

+1

Me too, unless it's the AFW or something like that I'm hosting. Friday evening and you're flying coops w/ you mates and get killed? No probs - just crack a beer, watch the action and relax http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

SlickStick
10-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by msalama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I leave externals on because if you get KIA you can use static cameras and follow your buds plane instead of hitting the escape key.

+1

Me too, unless it's the AFW or something like that I'm hosting. Friday evening and you're flying coops w/ you mates and get killed? No probs - just crack a beer, watch the action and relax http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+2

Much can be learned watching others and it's fun to watch others dogfight and finish the mission. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

99th Co-ops are usually very well structured.

Monty_Thrud
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Y'all n0obs anyway.

Shirley it should be 37!t3, not 733t, or im ar dift.

BrotherVoodoo
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
for me... an arcade server is either one that is either open pit w icons (arrows) or arrows and red & blue planes, or some combination of the two on the map.

My thoughts as well. I do prefer limited icons over no icons. And since I tend to suck at full real navigation I prefer the minimap path. All other toggles for me are on. I do not use padlock personally even though it may be allowed on a server. For me padlock "lock on" falls more in the arcade catagory.

Worf101
10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SlickStick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by msalama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I leave externals on because if you get KIA you can use static cameras and follow your buds plane instead of hitting the escape key.

+1

Me too, unless it's the AFW or something like that I'm hosting. Friday evening and you're flying coops w/ you mates and get killed? No probs - just crack a beer, watch the action and relax http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+2

Much can be learned watching others and it's fun to watch others dogfight and finish the mission. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

99th Co-ops are usually very well structured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the love Slick, next time you're in a coop ask for Teamspeak digits, we'd love to have ya, long as you fly Red. Can't have dem pesky waffles knowin' our trade secrets. LOL, didn't help last night though, we flew one coop and "Blue Wins" and not a single red survived. embarrasing to say the least.

Da Worfster

SlickStick
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by msalama:

+1

+2

Thanks for the love Slick, next time you're in a coop ask for Teamspeak digits, we'd love to have ya, long as you fly Red. Can't have dem pesky waffles knowin' our trade secrets. LOL, didn't help last night though, we flew one coop and "Blue Wins" and not a single red survived. embarrasing to say the least.

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the invite and funny you should mention this. I've been groovin' on some online co-ops lately, as I've been flying a few more than usual. I forgot how much fun that part of the game could be.

Especially, when the mission maker knows what he/she is doing and the historical match-ups are present. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bearcat99
10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SlickStick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:

+1

+2

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the invite and funny you should mention this. I've been groovin' on some online co-ops lately, as I've been flying a few more than usual. I forgot how much fun that part of the game could be.

Especially, when the mission maker knows what he/she is doing and the historical match-ups are present. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VMF-214_Pappy
10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I enjoy flying open pit from time to time but prefer flying full difficulty switched on, problem is most heavly populated servers run cockpit off there are a few that run full diff these days with any amout of people in it.

I have been enjoying Skies of Valor latey its pit on with externals, this allows new pilots to transition from pit off to the cockpit and still have externals to hone there skills. It also allows those with out track ir to compete.

Problem is externals you can never sneak up on someone and get a shot like what was true to life.

Its a compromise always. I never call a server full real to me that would be my life on the line in a real ww2 aircraft I choose to call it full difficulty and that is best we can get at the moment.

Xiolablu3
10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I've been out all weekend. Got a hangover and an empty wallet for the privilege.

Servers that allow F6 aces are arcade. It obviously hits a nerve.

Au contraire.

Its actually that you get shot down a lot on servers which allow externals and THATS what hits a nerve...

Unbouncable means you have to actually use skill to defeat someone, not just a random encounter where you happen upon someones six.

Then again, I forgive you, it IS much harder to be succesful in a FW190 when you cannot rely on sneaking up behind someone and shooting them in the back. A real skillful FW190 pilot can do it on all settings.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

VMF-214_Pappy
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
What does that have to do with realism, which we are talking about.

Xiolablu3
10-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_Pappy:
What does that have to do with realism, which we are talking about.

Ermm, this thread is 'what constitutes an arcade server'...

'WE' are talking about all server settings.

I'm only pulling his plonker anyhow...

Airmail109
10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
The whole sneaking up bit and hunting your prey is the most fun part of the game.....really.

You can actually go out and HUNT on externals off servers, you learn the routes the enemy flies to and from the hot zones and then learn to navigate between them without being seen. Just as a sniper would, you change your routine regualy to keep the enemy on their toes not knowing where your most likely to make an attack from. Skirting airfields then attacking from the rear and screaming back home is another good one.