PDA

View Full Version : spitfire engine overheat

harold x
04-20-2006, 08:25 AM
just started flying spit. i find the engine overheats alot very often in the heat of battle. when i reduce the throttle and open the radiator i lose speed and the E/A escapes. compared to the german daimler benz engine the rolls royce (if it is the case) is poor in comparision. spit is a nice plane to fly but the engine overheats lets it down. any suggetions of how to overcome the problem.

Jumoschwanz
04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I think you can overcome the problem by trying to use your head for a change, something you are definitely not doing if you think you should be able to fly around in furballs with the throttle pinned to the firewall indefinitely.

Attack with an altitude advantage, use this altitude advantage to gain speed with the throttle set at cruise, make a firing pass on the enemy and use full throttle to climb back up and out of the way of danger. Once up and away turn the throttle back to cruise and think about your next move while looking over the situation.

That is how it worked in WWII with a smart pilot flying. Any real pilot who flew around in turn fights with the throttle pinned would end up exactly like you, an overheated and dead engine and then shot to pieces.

So the sim is right on the money, the Spit does not overheat any easier than any other plane and is better than many, and as usual the problem is with a lack of pilot brains.

Try flying on a full real server where you can try using your head to employ historical tactics more easily and even at all, or go to an even more arcade server than you obviously are flying on now, that has engine overheating disabled.

S!

Jumoschwanz

FI-Skipper
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Quite a harsh post there Jumoschwanz...you could have just given him advice rather than trying to act all high and mighty....That sort of behaviour just makes you look childish so why post if you are going to be an idiot?

My advice you would be to use full power only in short bursts....drop it back down to cruise as often and as much as you can allow.

Skipper

96th_Nightshifter
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I think you can overcome the problem by trying to use your head for a change, something you are definitely not doing if you think you should be able to fly around in furballs with the throttle pinned to the firewall indefinitely.

Attack with an altitude advantage, use this altitude advantage to gain speed with the throttle set at cruise, make a firing pass on the enemy and use full throttle to climb back up and out of the way of danger. Once up and away turn the throttle back to cruise and think about your next move while looking over the situation.

That is how it worked in WWII with a smart pilot flying. Any real pilot who flew around in turn fights with the throttle pinned would end up exactly like you, an overheated and dead engine and then shot to pieces.

So the sim is right on the money, the Spit does not overheat any easier than any other plane and is better than many, and as usual the problem is with a lack of pilot brains.

Try flying on a full real server where you can try using your head to employ historical tactics more easily and even at all, or go to an even more arcade server than you obviously are flying on now, that has engine overheating disabled.

S!

Jumoschwanz

Simply no need for that kind of reply whatsoever.

Haigotron
04-20-2006, 10:17 AM
hmmmm could be his time of the month, but most of what he says in terms of spit tactic is true...slashing attacks is the key

ploughman
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Try an VIII or a IX, they hardly overheat at all.

harold x
04-20-2006, 02:32 PM

S!

Jumoschwanz
forget to take your tablets today

BaronUnderpants
04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I for one allways fly with radiators fully open at all times ( no matter what kind of ac it is ), sounds silly i know, but if u use speed and alt correctly the only time u need to close rads and get thoose extra few mph is when u get someone on your tail and need to get away REAL fast. I found that 10-20 mph extra usally means squat in a DF, especially when u fry your engine as a result.

WTE_Galway
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by BaronUnderpants:
I for one allways fly with radiators fully open at all times ( no matter what kind of ac it is ), sounds silly i know, but if u use speed and alt correctly the only time u need to close rads and get thoose extra few mph is when u get someone on your tail and need to get away REAL fast. I found that 10-20 mph extra usally means squat in a DF, especially when u fry your engine as a result.

The low speed handling of the LAGG is somewhat akin to an elephant crossed with a truck with the radiator open.

I am also reasonably certian you take more engine damage from shooting with cowls open.

BaronUnderpants
04-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaronUnderpants:

The low speed handling of the LAGG is somewhat akin to an elephant crossed with a truck with the radiator open.

I am also reasonably certian you take more engine damage from shooting with cowls open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first part i wouldnt know much about. The second part i never ever heard before? More damage when shooting?

Anyways, everyone flies to his own taste. I personally found that im a hell of alot more successfull the less i have to worrie about in the middle of a DF, opening rads, colling engine right when i need the power the most is a couple of things that comes to mind.

Xiolablu3
04-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Spit 8 and 9 actually have a pretty bugged overheat which stops overheating when you pull G's or turn.

Speed should cool the engine not G's

In the Spit V you must use the radiator and slow the engine to cool it.

Try not to go full throttle unless you are in combat, and also lower revs as you dive for a chance to cool it down a little. I am constantly overheating in combat and often knacker the engine, you must try and be more careful and managae things better during a fight. (and so must I http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

HellToupee
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Spit 8 and 9 actually have a pretty bugged overheat which stops overheating when you pull G's or turn.

Try not to go full throttle unless you are in combat, and also lower revs as you dive for a chance to cool it down a little. I am constantly overheating in combat and often knacker the engine, you must try and be more careful and managae things better during a fight. (and so must I http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Gs dont cool spitfire engine, its not the turn its the loss of speed, flying slower cools the spit engine where flying fast makes it overheat, eg fly at like 7k at 90% throttle it will overheat, hell even at 85% if u fly fast.

WWMaxGunz
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Leave the power good (okay not maxed out) but cut the RPM's (prop pitch) esp at 500+kph.
It is engine overrevs that make extreme heat, just as with real piston engines. You all
know what friction is? More revs, more times per minute the clyinders fire, more heat.

Radiators on the Spit do have an auto setting don't they?

Baron, when the shutters are open they are less in the way of bullets. Real.

Top_Gun_1_0_1
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I think the engine overheat on this game is under modelled specially on the tempest

WTE_Galway
04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
you will also get the overheat message if you blow the engine from over-revving, the game doesnt distinguish the two

over-reving can occur from misuse of manual pitch .. or commonly on the spit .. taking battle damage to the prop pitch governor

Top_Gun_1_0_1
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
the fire extiguisher button is rubbish!it only works on TB3?

stathem
04-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Top_Gun_1_0_1:
the fire extiguisher button is rubbish!it only works on TB3?

No, there's a few others, Mosquito for example. But not many, ie, only those planes that had it fitted.

WWMaxGunz
04-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Fire extinguishers are only on multi-engined planes that I know of. Once the fire gets going
the insulation on the wiring is bye-byes. If I have another engine to keep me up then the
weight of extinguishers may pay off else it is time to bail, the plane is going down.

P-38, at least one we have should have working extinguishers.

ploughman
04-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Really, hadn't noticed that. Thanks. Someone once explained the VIII's and IX's radiators, one's for the the glycol and t'other's for oil and the interaction was such that a Spit of those types could climb all day but would only over-heat on high revs, ie if it was going in a straight line flat out. Not sure if this relates to the overheat bug and I may well be remembering it wrong.

***edit*** I see some one's already posted somethiing along these lines.

Hawgdog
04-21-2006, 09:35 AM
blah blah blah blah...
more blah blah blah blah
blah blah jibberish jibberish
insult insult
blah blah

Jumoschwanz

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Another fine post there jumo
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jumoschwanzing&defid=0

Hawgdog
04-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
Fire extinguishers are only on multi-engined planes that I know of. Once the fire gets going
the insulation on the wiring is bye-byes. If I have another engine to keep me up then the
weight of extinguishers may pay off else it is time to bail, the plane is going down.

P-38, at least one we have should have working extinguishers.

coupla the macci's have fire extinguishers, and someother plane, forget which.

Banger2004
04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Hawgdog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
blah blah blah blah...
more blah blah blah blah
blah blah jibberish jibberish
insult insult
blah blah

Jumoschwanz

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Another fine post there jumo
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jumoschwanzing&defid=0 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love It!!!

With reference to the overheating Spit problem, I tend to fly with my own setting for prop pitch, varying from around 85% for fast climb, some dogfighting/maneauvering, and sometimes for escape if needed, all the way to 100%. Keeps the revs down, delivers plenty of power, and I very rarely seem to overheat.