PDA

View Full Version : anyway to make GWX2 loadtimes better?

Liddabit
01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I finaly got finished downloading GWX2 and so far I love it..but...the loadtimes are even worse!

Do any of you know a way to make this speed up?

Besides buying two 10k raptors set to raid :P?

Danlisa
01-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Hmm, I found GWX 2.0 loading times shorter than 1.03.

What specs are you using?

During testing, I ran this spec:

P4 3.4ghz
1GB RAM

(all else is irrelevant in relation to loading speeds, except maybe a 10000rpm HDD, but it's not much)

My loading times were clocked to 5-7 mins (MAX).

There are a few things that you can do to improve loading speeds. Defrag your HDD but do it by Name or Access and don't use windows defrag, it sucks. I use O&O defrag.

Load times are greatly increased of you enable any mods with textures as these are preloaded at each load.

Anyway, if you're anything near what I have listed as specs, you should experience that same load times, if your system is optimised.

tuddley3
01-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Danlisa, your the greatest!!! Thanks for bringing up O&O. Earlier this week, I did a Defrag for after reinstalling FSX, and after 10 hours, I decided that was enough. I finally tried it again a day later and it finished somewhere within an 8 hour period. Your right, Windows Defrag sucks, even after running all of my Tuneup Utilities disk cleaners and Registry Cleaners & Defrags.

I find it hilarious that you bring this up, because just yesterday, I asked my brother Capzap if he knew of any better defrag programs.

Backdraft57
01-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by danlisa:
Defrag your HDD but do it by Name or Access and don't use windows defrag, it sucks. I use O&O defrag.

THANKS for the defrag info! I never can do it because it just runs for hours and hours and hours and never gets done. Had no idea there was another option. Appreciate the info.

Danlisa
01-09-2008, 06:20 AM
LOL.

Depending on the level of fragmentation on your HDD, O&O will still take awhile, certainly on the first run. I run it over night and it can defrag all 4 of my HDD's (running together) in about 5 hours. That's a total of 2 TB.

My advice with O&O is choose either NAME or ACCESSED and stay with it. AS O&O will physically move items on your HDD and if you swap between the defrag options regularly, you will always have long wait times.

Also, as a matter of system optimisation always make sure there is more than 15% free space on any HDD. Most (if not all) fragmentation will occur if you have less than this, esp on your OS HDD.

Also, ideally, you want to defrag your swap space/virtual memory too. However, that is another issue and I don't want to derail this gentleman's thread anymore.

Disk Keeper is also another good option, however I prefer not having another background process running.

@ Backdraft57 - Those options are only available in O&O. BTW, windows defrag will not work when you have less than (IIRC) 20% free space.

danurve
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
If you don't mind spending about 50$ then O&O is top shelf. Diskeeper is not free either and I think costs about the same. Windows defrag is actually a severly watered down version of it.

geoffwessex
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I just downloaded a freeware version of O&O De*** Lite - anybody have experience with it (before I run it?)

Also, Danurve, I just tried DLing the "RadioLog Expanded" from your link above but just get "Access denied. Invalid Username or Password". I didn't know I needed a password - am I suppose to set up an account or something?

bunkerratt
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
1 minute 10 seconds from desktop to gwx main load screen ..2 minutes 15 seconds from saved career to dockside http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Liddabit
01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Thats impressive bunker. Its about 12 minutes from desktop to in the boat for me overall.

Is O&O comparable to perfect disk? we bought that awhile back and use that to keep fragmentation monsters at bay! Should we get O&O instead?

bunkerratt
01-09-2008, 11:22 PM
if you haven't allready ..increase your page file ...you can also shut down services that you don't use in windows ..."ie"..things like print spooler if you don't uase a printer on the system..and quite a few more ..it all adds up in the end ..i'll post a few of them tommrow ..i'm watching some old james cagney movies at the moment ...

VikingGrandad
01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by danlisa:
Hmm, I found GWX 2.0 loading times shorter than 1.03.

I've not timed it, but GWX 2.0 seems a bit quicker to load than 1.03 for me too. I'm using a lot less mods on top of the new GWX, so perhaps that helps.

I de-frag my disk using Norton every 3-4 weeks, which means fragmentation is never more than 10%. The amount of data, free space and number of files usually all affect how long de-fragging takes. It usually takes 2-3 hours to defrag around 60GB of data on my 80GB 7200rpm IDE disk.

bunkerratt
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
after many trials and errors .imho diskeeper is the best bang for the buck..i dumped norton "aka" symantac products long ago ..more "bloatware" than uses...later tonight i'll post a way to disable some of windows services that you may not need on the gameing pc ..

danurve
01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
geoffwessex; RadioLog_Expanded d/l link working fine from here on different machines. It's a filefront page you don't need to logon for the d/l.

geoffwessex
01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Danurve - I did the "Save Target as..." method, should have thought of that before, although I still don't see why it didn't (and doesn't) work in the usual way for me, using Download Manager.