PDA

View Full Version : 1.1b to 1.1 is identical to 1.0 to 1.1Full

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
You will get the complete 1.1 patch if you install patch11.exe on top of version 1.1b OR patch11_full.exe on top of version 1.0. The results will be identical in either case. In fact, you can install patch11_full.exe on top of version 1.1b and get the same results.

The reason: these executables are not "patching" the FB files in the strictest sense. Instead, they are REPLACING original files with completely new ones. You can confirm this for yourself by extracting any of the downloaded patch executables into a temporary folder, instead of the original program folder. You'll find a collection of files with the same names, comparable sizes, but newer dates than the originals. If you do this for ALL the patches, you'll see that patch11_full has all the same files as patch11b (though some are newer for version 1.1), plus a few new ones not in version 1.1b. Patch11.exe has ONLY those files which are new or modified since version 1.1b.

The upshot: don't bother installing the new patch twice; you'll get the same result either way. On the positive side, you can "archive" an older version of the game simply by saving the files that will be copied over, not re-installing the program (too bad I didn't figure this out BEFORE I installed patch11b!)

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
You will get the complete 1.1 patch if you install patch11.exe on top of version 1.1b OR patch11_full.exe on top of version 1.0. The results will be identical in either case. In fact, you can install patch11_full.exe on top of version 1.1b and get the same results.

The reason: these executables are not "patching" the FB files in the strictest sense. Instead, they are REPLACING original files with completely new ones. You can confirm this for yourself by extracting any of the downloaded patch executables into a temporary folder, instead of the original program folder. You'll find a collection of files with the same names, comparable sizes, but newer dates than the originals. If you do this for ALL the patches, you'll see that patch11_full has all the same files as patch11b (though some are newer for version 1.1), plus a few new ones not in version 1.1b. Patch11.exe has ONLY those files which are new or modified since version 1.1b.

The upshot: don't bother installing the new patch twice; you'll get the same result either way. On the positive side, you can "archive" an older version of the game simply by saving the files that will be copied over, not re-installing the program (too bad I didn't figure this out BEFORE I installed patch11b!)

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 10:23 PM
How many of the files are Patched? Just wondering if you could mix files between Patches, configure FB the way you want, given whats in the various Patches. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 11:06 PM
The 11b patch contains 9 replacement files (plus a Readme) for the main FB folder, plus a DGen subdirectory with 102 files (for new/modified campaigns, I guess).

The 11-from-11b patch contains 9 top-folder files (plus readmes). Some of these are replacements for 11b files, but 3 have DIFFERENT but similar names (e.g., fb_sound02.SFS instead of fb_sound01.SFS). DGen subfolder contains 12 modified files. There is also a new La-73xB20 skin ("void.bmp").

Patch 11_full has 14 files in main folder (plus readmes), 102 files in DGen, and the new skin.

I seriously doubt you can mix and match files from different generations. On the plus side, as long as you keep the patch11_full file handy, you can bring the whole shebang up to date at once, so you probably won't do any damage by experimenting.

Good luck!

Message Edited on 09/04/0303:17PM by SliderMark

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the effort you made there!

I don't think I'll be downloading this one if another replacement "Final" Patch is coming.

(?)

I wonder if the server people are upgrading to "K4 Final" (/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ) or will they delay.