PDA

View Full Version : How to fly a Yak 1B (original IL2)

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any hints and tips for the sort of tactics I should be using with Yak 1Bs?

I'm playing the Soviet fighter campaign and have just got to the point where you move to the Stalingrad area and start flying Yaks but have found them to be extremely slow, prone to stalling and the wings fall off the moment a 109 gets a shot on target. So far apart from getting lucky shots in head on passes, the only kills I can get in a Yak are by crashing into 109s.

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any hints and tips for the sort of tactics I should be using with Yak 1Bs?

I'm playing the Soviet fighter campaign and have just got to the point where you move to the Stalingrad area and start flying Yaks but have found them to be extremely slow, prone to stalling and the wings fall off the moment a 109 gets a shot on target. So far apart from getting lucky shots in head on passes, the only kills I can get in a Yak are by crashing into 109s.

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 01:37 PM
If you keep your speed relatively high (between 325 and 500 kph) and use your superior agility you can get him.

Simply keep cool enough to wait for an opportunity by not losing your speed or altitude (that's to say : no tight turns nor dives until they are really needed to avoid an attack or to close in for the kill) and you'll be able to use the agility of the plane to set your sight on the 109 : don't shoot until you're sure to hit him, a short burst should be enough.

Originally, when flying this one , I had similar problems because, as an easy to fly plane, one can be tempted to turn tighter and tighter from the start, lose energy and allow his engine heat to rise without need by using WEP to recover the speed he has lost.

You'll see, when you have mastered this one, you'll find it's a real killer.

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 01:40 PM
yes these little birds are very agile but they're not as bad as the previsous Migs you flew some mission back. i find the Yaks to be good BnZ planes, since like you pointed out, they're not very fast, but they climb OK. dive and climb sir.

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_01.jpg