PDA

View Full Version : Using the K-14 gunsigth correctly

Wildnoob
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I know how this gunsigth work, but I can't use it in pratical terms.

I use default configurations, and it's really very difficult to track a target turning for 3 seconds, the necessary time to maintein a correct lead for fire. I are not asking help, rather then that I wish to know other pilot's opinion on the effective use of this gunsigth.

not so long ago someone posted real pilot's reports on the use of this device, and most of then found it was far superior to the reflector ones.

Bearcat99
06-19-2008, 11:36 AM
The K-14 sight as modeled in the sim works great. Like everything else in here it just takes practice.

Brain32
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Don't think of it as a modern LCOS, just think of it as an aim assist tool rather than apsolute pointer to bullet impact, otherwise you will go mad as we make much more erratic moves in-game than the guys did IRL so 3sec on target is a bit rare to see. The best time to use it and even get those darn 3secs is in a tail chase(loop or turn) situation. I suggest to turn it off when you go for a dead astern attack or so to say mentally eliminate it as small corrections might create clutter on the gunsight and confuse you...

Oh and also in case you didn't know, don't try to adjust sight distance and I personally do not vary wing span setting either, just leave it at default...

Airmail109
06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Without a big HUD and good view over the nose I find it annoying and useless. Just turn the gyro sight off and use it as normal.

Jaggy.
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I never really figured it out. This would make for a great uTube video on how to use it effectively, or I guess an IL2 video would work fine too.

WOLFMondo
06-20-2008, 03:09 AM
The only problem I have with it is remembering to set zoom in line with my convergence.

Wildnoob
06-30-2008, 12:28 PM
again, please, anyone can give me some tips (now I'm asking help) on how to use it ?

I just attack the enemy with the P-51 in high speed firing passes. in most times I get to the enemy and he is making turns. as far as I know this is exactly the strong point of this gunsigth, not requring the pilot make the deflection to shoot.

but I can't track a target for 2 or 3 seconds, the necessary time to maintein the correct lead of fire. I already lost many kills that way.

I are far better with the FW-190's fixed gunsigth then with the P-51's gyro one.

for those who are well trained with the use of this device, can give me some tips on how to learn to use it in effective form ?

if I not learn how to use it, I gonna have to use just the fixed one, but I know I gonna be loosing a great advantage that the gyro gunsigth is. I know how it works, but don't know how to do it work correctly.

Metatron_123
06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
It's not completely necessary to track the target for 3 seconds.

Wildnoob
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I know.

I was watching some guncam footage com IAF Mirage III's during the 6 day war. most times the pilot just manage to put the piper on target for 1 or 2 seconds, and it's very clear he was pulling the stick with strength to manage this few seconds line of fire.

Bearcat told me to training, guess it's wat I gonna have to do. but I thougth it would have immediate good results.