PDA

View Full Version : Turning radar off

DrJonez
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
How do I turn my radar off? I just got my first radar set in my career, and I can't turn the **** thing off :[

I even tried removing the radio and sonar officers and turning it off manually, and still no luck.

I'm not exactly happy with having a big fat homing beacon on my ship for all the enemy planes and ships to find me with >:[

DrJonez
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
How do I turn my radar off? I just got my first radar set in my career, and I can't turn the **** thing off :[

I even tried removing the radio and sonar officers and turning it off manually, and still no luck.

I'm not exactly happy with having a big fat homing beacon on my ship for all the enemy planes and ships to find me with >:[

DrJonez
04-24-2005, 06:54 PM
I also can't seem to ever get anythign to show up on the radar scope when I try to run it manually. I focus it at the bearing the crew tells me we've got a contact at, and I never see any spikes on the screen.

Also, how can I determine the max range for the various sets?

Does the switch range button just change the display somehow, or does it actually make the radar seek shorter/farther?

quillan
04-24-2005, 07:24 PM
The numbers on the display are ranges, in hundreds of meters. The left side is the short range (switch to left) range band, and the right side is the long range band. The numbers on the wheel are reversed, though, so you'll have to compensate for that. Turning the wheel clockwise should - starting from zero - begin counting up, where the dial is actually numbered to count down from 360. Your radioman will call out the correct bearing. As to turning it off, here's what I have found to be reliable. When you load a save, the radar is on. If you man the station, the radar will be on. If you turn it off manually, and don't man the station again, it will stay off until you either man the station again, load a save, or tell him to do a sweep.

alanschu
04-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't understand the radar at all.

Where's a bearing measurement?

Longshot1970
04-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi all,

I got radar on my last patrol too. But I dont really know how to operate it, what's it's maximum range?

How easy can my radar be detected and what were the u-boot real methods on how to use it effectively?

UncleReiben
04-25-2005, 02:01 AM
the first radar that comes along (FuMO 29?) only has a +/-10 degree coverage area because it transmits and receives Radio waves from the antenna array mounted along the front of the bridge... meaning if yuo're sailing Due North you only have a radar coverage from 350 to 10 degrees (to what range I am not sure)

that being said I'm not sure the Wheel in the Radio room functions as it appears... the radioman rotates it constantly making it seem likes he's doing a 360 degree sweep when thats impossible... the only way to do a 360 degree sweep with the first Radar set is to turn the sub in a complete circle. because the radar array is fixed, the radar should only pick up contacts when the wheel reads between 350 and 010 degrees with the first radar set

when you do have a radar return the sqwiggly lines ruining down the center of the scope will spike outwards... where they spike on the scope determines the range. because the radar scope cant represent the full range of the radar with one scope the range band selector basically cycles between short and long range scanning.

its late 1942 and I've got the radar set in question and personally have never SEEN it work but I did get a Radar signal reported once by the radioman... so I guess it's not entirely useless... mostly I keep it off to avoid being a sportty target for the RAF.

ruf9ii
04-25-2005, 09:26 AM
i just got my radar set the other day, used all my renown to buy a IXc with all the trimmings. (1942)

i used my radar quite effectively today, i got a contact from my hyrdophone guy, so i took up a course that was pointing in the ships direction, surfaced at flank speed and told the radar guy to do a continuous sweep. everynow couple of seconds he would report the contact and bearing.