PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction PC Brutally Honest Review - Alternative Magazine Online

MartyMcFly1988
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey guys!

I just wanted to say thank you all for being such good sports during the recent problems we have all had with the PC version of Conviction. My frustration was frequently offset by some of the hillarious replies and helpful solutions from my fellow gamers posted in here.

I have just reviewed the PC version of the game on my site here: Splinter Cell Conviction PC Review (http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/05/07/game-review-splinter-cell-conviction-pc-version/)

I would love to hear all of your thoughts and whether you agreed with my final score. Cheers!

BAWB.BAGET
05-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Brutally honest indeed, as is every other good and thorough review. You nailed the fine points.

Though I think I had fun with the interrogations even though you stated the mechanic as "smoke and mirrors."

I would always wonder how the interrogation would be executed on different parts of the "boxed-interrogation area" But I can understand why you would render this mechanic as "smoke and mirrors."

Great review.

darkzero7
05-07-2010, 12:56 AM
pretty solid review. I disagree with the score, simply because I have managed to play with friends and that adds life and even more fun. Hopefully you get a chance too.

LCGuardian
05-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Reasonably fair. I disagree about the story - I found it plausable (expecting disagreement on this) and engrossing, especially compared to the forgettable storylines of the previous games (my opinion of course). I like the way the review gives credit or criticism where due.

However, despite being a departure from the previous games of the serious, ultimately I think its a fun game. The single player is intense and hard hitting (although the greatest departure from previous titles) - although too easy even on realistic. The coop storyline is interesting and cooperative gameplay is excellent. Hunter (especially when using hand to hand combat only) is very good. Infiltration on Realistic is superb - loyal to the traditions of the previous games, and enormously intense. Face off is brilliant, when matched against an opponent of similar skill (meaning not rubbish).

Of course it has its faults. The stealth is simplistic, no carrying bodies was a case of incredible stupidity, providing options to avoid combat entirely would have been appreciated. The DRM sucks if you have issues (I haven't for this or AC2), and the bugs suck (which I also haven't suffered from). Not being able to find opponents online also hurts.

Which brings me to a weird conclusion. Although I thought the review was well done, I'd personally give SCC about an 8 out of 10. Maybe I'm just more forgiving, I don't know.

MartyMcFly1988
05-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Hey guys thanks for such great feedback!

BAWBEH117: I am glad you enjoyed the review! I agree the interrogations were pretty cool, but imagine using them whenever you wanted! Even cooler :P

darkzero7: Thanks for the feedback! Of course, being able to play the multiplayer aspect would have probably dragged this up to an 8 OUT OF 10. Sadly, I have no PC gaming friends with this game, so I was relying on Ubisoft's matchmaking system, which is sadly rather broken. Lack of voice chat would have hurt further had I been able to actually play.

LCGuardian: Thanks for the feedback! I have to disagree again about the story though... since when does killing the President make you the new President?! Stuff like that is a little hard to swallow.

"The coop storyline is interesting and cooperative gameplay is excellent. Hunter (especially when using hand to hand combat only) is very good."

I wish I could have experienced this mode online! This is the first newly released game I have ever had these sorts of difficulties with on my new PC. The fact I had to install drivers from 2007 shocked me as a reviewer... Sam & Max and Braid work but Conviction doesn't? Oh dear.

"Which brings me to a weird conclusion. Although I thought the review was well done, I'd personally give SCC about an 8 out of 10. Maybe I'm just more forgiving, I don't know."

Well, that kinda matches what I said at the end of my review: "Perhaps as a whole, the game could have been worth a solid 8 OUT OF 10 if the multiplayer had worked, making up for a short single player campaign in the process. As it stands, the PC version of this game is a tragic letdown, hardly earning its final score. "

I think that the single player is good fun, but its length and departure from past installments makes it an 8 tops. Even then, this would only be with a strong multiplayer aspect, which I know this game has but I couldn't even access.

I feel 6 OUT OF 10 is actually pretty generous for the PC version of Conviction. I am sure that the Xbox 360 version would deserve a solid 8 though.

MartyMcFly1988
05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I have just realised as well that Ubisoft have effectively sold half a game, and nobody can do a damn thing about it... the multiplayer not working is essentially false advertising. Yet you couldn't get a refund even if you wanted to, because the game's serial ties itself to your account via the DRM! I am surprised more people aren't feeling ripped off here...

LCGuardian
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by MartyMcFly1988:

LCGuardian: Thanks for the feedback! I have to disagree again about the story though... since when does killing the President make you the new President?! Stuff like that is a little hard to swallow.

"The coop storyline is interesting and cooperative gameplay is excellent. Hunter (especially when using hand to hand combat only) is very good."

I wish I could have experienced this mode online! This is the first newly released game I have ever had these sorts of difficulties with on my new PC. The fact I had to install drivers from 2007 shocked me as a reviewer... Sam & Max and Braid work but Conviction doesn't? Oh dear.

"Which brings me to a weird conclusion. Although I thought the review was well done, I'd personally give SCC about an 8 out of 10. Maybe I'm just more forgiving, I don't know."

Well, that kinda matches what I said at the end of my review: "Perhaps as a whole, the game could have been worth a solid 8 OUT OF 10 if the multiplayer had worked, making up for a short single player campaign in the process. As it stands, the PC version of this game is a tragic letdown, hardly earning its final score. "

I think that the single player is good fun, but its length and departure from past installments makes it an 8 tops. Even then, this would only be with a strong multiplayer aspect, which I know this game has but I couldn't even access.

I feel 6 OUT OF 10 is actually pretty generous for the PC version of Conviction. I am sure that the Xbox 360 version would deserve a solid 8 though.

Presumably with the assassination of the President, the VP, Meggido and Tom Reed had collaborated to keep the VP's hands clean so they could have a Meggido controlled and Third Echelon sympathetic President installed, without having him implied in the Fisher assassination/Black Arrow assassination that Coste infers were the plans late in the game.

I've gotta say, I can sympathise with your difficulties with online play. Since those first couple of days when online worked reasonably well, I haven't been able to get into a match either through matchmaker or through private invitation (so anyone who has invited me and is reading this, I wasn't ignoring you). So my rating would probably now be a 7, because of inconsistent multiplayer - and I can see how a 6 would be justified for nonexistent multiplayer.

MartyMcFly1988
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
It is a shame that I haven't yet played online as I heard it is even better than the single player from my friend with the Xbox 360 version.

I am glad you can agree with 6 being justified btw LCGuardian. All I ever wanted to do was offer a fair review of the PC version, warts and all. I am rather disappointed that I only got half a game to review.

MartyMcFly1988
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
UPDATE: I decided to give up with matchmaking as it is obviously broken, but thought I would give the in-game advertised Splinter Cell Conviction: Find Your Perfect Match website a try.

I answered 15 questions, submitted my answers... then was taken back to the beginning. Tried again... same result.

I now officially give up for good. Ubisoft, this is a broken product and you should be downright ashamed. What good is a two week delay if the game is still broken a week after release even with a patch?!

Compassghost
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't trust matchmaking because of the lack of VOIP. Playing with my friend works just fine, though. You should join teh official vent and try to direct-connect and see if it works.

MartyMcFly1988
05-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Compassghost:
I don't trust matchmaking because of the lack of VOIP. Playing with my friend works just fine, though. You should join teh official vent and try to direct-connect and see if it works.

Tbh I've given up now. I'm sure I could find people willing to play via the forums, add them as friends and then invite them to a private match, but it just seems stupid to be doing all that with a brand new game that doesn't even have basic multiplayer connectivity.

I guess I just feel really annoyed as a reviewer... I didn't even pay for this game but I know many will have and I feel infuriated when I think how much Ubisoft have ripped paying customers off.

I don't regret my review one bit, I actually hope it makes anybody buying the game to play online stop and think twice before getting the PC version.

Compassghost
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Have you tried Deniable Ops solo yet, out of curiousity?

MartyMcFly1988
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Compassghost:
Have you tried Deniable Ops solo yet, out of curiousity?

Yeah I have had a little go of it, mostly in Hunter mode. Fun I guess, although I would prefer to be playing the co-op story with a friend online now that I have finished the main game. I already found the mechanics kinda boring near the end of the single player campaign so Deniable Ops alone just seems like more of the same to me?

MartyMcFly1988
05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Somebody just posted on my site that the multiplayer works if you enable the DMZ mode on your router.

I would highly recommend not not doing this as it exposes your entire computer to the internet! Your firewall will no longer offer any protection either: this is very dangerous and not worth chancing just to play Conviction online.

I guess players now have to either wait for another patch, play private matches only or do what I ended up doing: give up entirely.

UPDATE: Just noticed Ubisoft have said matchmaking should be fixed now. Fingers crossed...

sam2000_290
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I play games b/c they're fun. I don't play games b/c of reviews. Reviews are just one man opinion. As long as the game is fun I play them. I play the conflict series, like Conflict: Global Terror even though it has an average rating of 6/10. SC:C is fun and I play it, regardless of rating and/or problems with the game. Besides, the problems are not that big. It's minor.

MartyMcFly1988
05-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by sam2000_290:
I play games b/c they're fun. I don't play games b/c of reviews. Reviews are just one man opinion. As long as the game is fun I play them. I play the conflict series, like Conflict: Global Terror even though it has an average rating of 6/10. SC:C is fun and I play it, regardless of rating and/or problems with the game. Besides, the problems are not that big. It's minor.

Erm... okay? I agree a review is only an opinion, but the problems with the game are concrete facts, whether people chose to deny it or not. Furthermore, people deserve to know the facts before paying out for a nonrefundable game... that is what I see as my duty as a game reviewer. I am not here to stroke Ubisoft's ego! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Matchmaking is still broken. I would not call that minor at all. It amazes me how many people simply seem to accept the severe problems this game has had since release, whilst at the same time berating the people who have voiced their dissatisfation at paying for a broken product.

I have reviewed plenty of games over the last few years. This has been, in my experience, the worst PC game on a technical level that I have ever dealt with. I already disagreed strongly with the intrusive DRM. The plethora of other issues post-release have served only to further the bad taste in my mouth caused by Ubisoft's recent failed attempts at quality PC game publishing.

sam2000_290
05-11-2010, 08:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sam2000_290:

Erm... okay? I agree a review is only an opinion, but the problems with the game are concrete facts, whether people chose to deny it or not. Furthermore, people deserve to know the facts before paying out for a nonrefundable game... that is what I see as my duty as a game reviewer. I am not here to stroke Ubisoft's ego! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Matchmaking is still broken. I would not call that minor at all. It amazes me how many people simply seem to accept the severe problems this game has had since release, whilst at the same time berating the people who have voiced their dissatisfation at paying for a broken product.

I have reviewed plenty of games over the last few years. This has been, in my experience, the worst PC game on a technical level that I have ever dealt with. I already disagreed strongly with the intrusive DRM. The plethora of other issues post-release have served only to further the bad taste in my mouth caused by Ubisoft's recent failed attempts at quality PC game publishing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Erm...okay?"
What's that supposed to mean?

Well, maybe the dev doesn't know about the problem. Maybe when they were testing there was no problem. And it seems like the server-side problem. Even though it is, I guess they can still play since it's UBI and the server is UBI. Kinda hard to explain but I guess u understand.

Yes, matchmaking is still broken but I use the private match instead. So it seems minor to me.

DRM is ok. Not bad, no problems for me.

Those being said, UBISOFT really needs to fix the problems b/4 release. It's ok if they delayed another month or so. No hurry. Or better yet, keep the old stuff they had. What I mean is like in the trailers, some of the stuff has been changed, like the Kobin mansion, hud, no b&W. Those could have stayed and just polished these up. I actually liked the old Kobin Mansion level. Where you see stands in the middle of the road and more than one path to get in the mansion. They changed these, how dare they!

Oh well, you can't blame UBI. 2 years in the making and they need to release it. Can't take too long. I actually like the old build. It looked nice. Oh well. What's done is done. Just continue to fix the problems. It's only been like 3 weeks or so. Give it time. It's still young.

BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10.

MartyMcFly1988
05-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by sam2000_290:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MartyMcFly1988:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sam2000_290:

I have reviewed plenty of games over the last few years. This has been, in my experience, the worst PC game on a technical level that I have ever dealt with. I already disagreed strongly with the intrusive DRM. The plethora of other issues post-release have served only to further the bad taste in my mouth caused by Ubisoft's recent failed attempts at quality PC game publishing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Erm...okay?"

Well, maybe the dev doesn't know about the problem. Maybe when they were testing there was no problem. And it seems like the server-side problem. Even though it is, I guess they can still play since it's UBI and the server is UBI. Kinda hard to explain but I guess u understand.

Yes, matchmaking is still broken but I use the private match instead. So it seems minor to me.

Those being said, UBISOFT really needs to fix the problems b/4 release. It's ok if they delayed another month or so. No hurry. Or better yet, keep the old stuff they had. What I mean is like in the trailers, some of the stuff has been changed, like the Kobin mansion, hud, no b&W. Those could have stayed and just polished these up. I actually liked the old Kobin Mansion level. Where you see stands in the middle of the road and more than one path to get in the mansion. They changed these, how dare they!

Oh well, you can't blame UBI. 2 years in the making and they need to release it. Can't take too long. I actually like the old build. It looked nice. Oh well. What's done is done. Just continue to fix the problems. It's only been like 3 weeks or so. Give it time. It's still young.

BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it kinda hard to read your replies. The fact that you have no problems doesn't mean that nobody else does.. matchmaking is a feature I want, and it is broken.

As for saying oh well, you can't blame Ubi... yes I can! This is all their fault.

"BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10." This kinda proves my point. You are going to love whatever Ubisoft gives you regardless of quality. If this game is a 10 for you (especially the PC version), then you have very low standards when it comes to games.

FM Big Gunner
05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I feel kinda bitten by this too. I've purchased the collector's edition and standard edition for xbox, and now the deluxe edition digital download for the PC, only to find the game has a choppy framerate, and the xbox controls are too sensitive. I also had to fix the xbox controller controls by using an old driver.

The xbox 360 version is much better in my opinion.

MartyMcFly1988
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Rick_Ratayczak:
I feel kinda bitten by this too. I've purchased the collector's edition and standard edition for xbox, and now the deluxe edition digital download for the PC, only to find the game has a choppy framerate, and the xbox controls are too sensitive. I also had to fix the xbox controller controls by using an old driver.

The xbox 360 version is much better in my opinion.

This is what I had feared. Splinter Cell Conviction is by no means a bad game, yet it seems to have been made with the Xbox 360 firmly in mind. The PC port is almost like an afterthought.

sam2000_290
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MartyMcFly1988:

"Erm...okay?"

BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it kinda hard to read your replies. The fact that you have no problems doesn't mean that nobody else does.. matchmaking is a feature I want, and it is broken.

As for saying oh well, you can't blame Ubi... yes I can! This is all their fault.

"BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10." This kinda proves my point. You are going to love whatever Ubisoft gives you regardless of quality. If this game is a 10 for you (especially the PC version), then you have very low standards when it comes to games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said others have no problems.

I said they can't keep delaying. They need to release.

Yes, I vote 10/10 b/c I love SC. Yes, I have no standards when it come to games. I play b/c they're fun. SC:C is fun! Besides, they just games. Just a game!

MartyMcFly1988
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
You are right, it is just a game. Meant to be played for fun.

So... what part of paying for a game with online multiplayer that you can't play is fun?

JasonFMTX
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
You hit the nail on the head on most of the things I don't like. The black and white, the Iraq mission, no chat, etc.

WTF was UBI thinking? ... unbelievable.

MartyMcFly1988
05-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by JasonFMTX:
You hit the nail on the head on most of the things I don't like. The black and white, the Iraq mission, no chat, etc.

WTF was UBI thinking? ... unbelievable.

Thanks JasonFMTX. I think Ubi should just stick to consoles now tbh.

looqqq
06-05-2010, 11:11 AM
The story gets really boring after a while so I went to try multiplayer. I got one game out of it the nothing. So I looked it up and found people had similair problems.
Ubisoft! Make something for us to add or download to fix this disgraceful multiplayer!

mouthfullofhhh
06-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Great review. I'm surprised you gave it a 6/10 tbh. At the moment I've managed to connect to two multiplayer games since owning from release. No matter what I do friend invite/matchmaking endlessly, I just can't play now. The two games I mentioned didn't last long with lag and an eventual disconnect. I have numerous multiplayer games on my pc from Call of duty/bioshock2/bad company 2, with none of these titles have I had to change my security/router setting, I shouldn't have to.

pigtail202
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Your review was good except for one mistake, (and I've seen it before in other reviews) is that the "mouse smoothing" is actually Vsync. Turn that off and you get great accuracy.

MC Davies 2K9
06-05-2010, 01:08 PM
You are right, it is just a game. Meant to be played for fun.

So... what part of paying for a game with online multiplayer that you can't play is fun?

Im sure Ubi are working on fixing the MP.

In the meantime, use Tunngle.

SCAgent95
06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
i agree with sam2000_290 opinion

the only thing thats not working for me is when i patched the game to 1.3 i have a terrible lag

Molekulix
06-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Hey guys!

I just wanted to say thank you all for being such good sports during the recent problems we have all had with the PC version of Conviction. My frustration was frequently offset by some of the hillarious replies and helpful solutions from my fellow gamers posted in here.

I have just reviewed the PC version of the game on my site here: Splinter Cell Conviction PC Review (http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/05/07/game-review-splinter-cell-conviction-pc-version/)

I would love to hear all of your thoughts and whether you agreed with my final score. Cheers!

Great review mate, I'll finish reading it later. For now I'd like to say that there was really funny issue with a gamepad and how come? Do those who test it among developers have these 2007 beta drivers? We'll surely, probably not, simply must depend on computer config, operating system and your other drivers, but still, game is full of probles which appear on different system. I guess, you can add tis to your review: I couldn't connect to Ubi's servers and support team couldn't help me continuing claiming something about proxy servers which I dont use and about changing config.ini in gamelaunchedr folder which appeared to be useless and only after several hours on the 2nd or 3rd day of googling, I found out that only this fix could save me. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 Amazing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 02:06 AM

"Erm...okay?"

"BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10." This kinda proves my point. You are going to love whatever Ubisoft gives you regardless of quality. If this game is a 10 for you (especially the PC version), then you have very low standards when it comes to games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHAH, what a joke review, typical game spot style. Thats like saying crysis is rubbish because my computer isn't good enough, just like many reviews at the time.

You said the single player never reaches full potential, what full potential?
The single player was great fun, i really don't see how they could have drawn it out more.
The game deserves a 8/10 just on the single player imo.
The multilayer adds another game on top of it, almost like the entire left for dead ( i think its longer LOL).

If we have low standards as you suggest, then 90% of reviewers who reviewed the game also have low standards?

Meta critic gave it an average of 84.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 06:29 AM
HAHAHAH, what a joke review, typical game spot style. Thats like saying crysis is rubbish because my computer isn't good enough, just like many reviews at the time.

You said the single player never reaches full potential, what full potential?
The single player was great fun, i really don't see how they could have drawn it out more.
The game deserves a 8/10 just on the single player imo.
The multilayer adds another game on top of it, almost like the entire left for dead ( i think its longer LOL).

If we have low standards as you suggest, then 90% of reviewers who reviewed the game also have low standards?

Meta critic gave it an average of 84.

Are you for real? A six hour single player game deserves 8 out of 10 just because you say so? Then you factor in the broken multiplayer? I also have a brand new PC so I don't really see what you mean about it being good enough either.

As well, I don't think you can read mate. I was talking about low standards with regards to comments made by Sam2000_290, not everyone who enjoyed the game.

Here is what I actually said: ""BTW, I rate all SC games 10/10. No questions asked. Just 10/10." This kinda proves my point. You are going to love whatever Ubisoft gives you regardless of quality. If this game is a 10 for you (especially the PC version), then you have very low standards when it comes to games."

Furthermore, most people have agreed with my review of the PC version so next time get your facts right. Perhaps I should have just lied and said that the game was amazing, ported well to the PC and that the multiplayer worked great, even though it didn't, just to make you happy? If me being honest results in a joke review in your opinion, then I don't really care what you think anyway.

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
most people have agreed with my review of the PC version so next time get your facts right. Perhaps I should have just lied and said that the game was amazing, ported well to the PC and that the multiplayer worked great, even though it didn't, just to make you happy? If me being honest results in a joke review in your opinion, then I don't really care what you think anyway.

1)I meant that your system is having problems with multilayer which is similar to the crysis situation in 2007. Obviously not everybody is having connection issues! YOU STILL Did NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION, on what "full potential", but you gave a generic response.

2)I just told you that THE META (average for all the popular reviewers) SCORE FOR SPLINTER CELL CONVICTION PC IS 84!!!!! YOU GAVE IT 60. SO HOW ON EARTH DO MOST PEOPLE AGREE WITH YOU?....ITS THE OPPOSITE. Common maths (if you know any) would suggest that 84 is closer to 100 (10/10) than 60 is to 84.

3)I can read perfectly well, but I hardly read your review because it is another "this games.
not good because blah blah blah doesn't work for me"

4) Saying that you dont care what I think is a big fat fail, as this is forum, where people discuss and SHARE OPINIONS, heck the entire internet is based on peoples opinions. Even the fact that you wrote a review which, by definition, is to ALTER PEOPLE OPINIONS!

Whatever, enjoy yourself.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by andy1992uk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">most people have agreed with my review of the PC version so next time get your facts right. Perhaps I should have just lied and said that the game was amazing, ported well to the PC and that the multiplayer worked great, even though it didn't, just to make you happy? If me being honest results in a joke review in your opinion, then I don't really care what you think anyway.

1)I meant that your system is having problems with multilayer which is similar to the crysis situation in 2007. Obviously not everybody is having connection issues! YOU STILL Did NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION, on what "full potential", but you gave a generic response.

2)I just told you that THE META (average for all the popular reviewers) SCORE FOR SPLINTER CELL CONVICTION PC IS 84!!!!! YOU GAVE IT 60. SO HOW ON EARTH DO MOST PEOPLE AGREE WITH YOU?....ITS THE OPPOSITE. Common maths (if you know any) would suggest that 84 is closer to 100 (10/10) than 60 is to 84.

3)I can read perfectly well, but I hardly read your review because it is another "this games.
not good because blah blah blah doesn't work for me"

4) Saying that you dont care what I think is a big fat fail, as this is forum, where people discuss and SHARE OPINIONS, heck the entire internet is based on peoples opinions. Even the fact that you wrote a review which, by definition, is to ALTER PEOPLE OPINIONS!

Whatever, enjoy yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think the caps lock is a good way of getting across your points? I find you quite aggressive and rude, as well as nonsensical.

My review explained, in detail, the reasons why I personally didn't think the game reached its full potential. My actual statement regarding this was: "Splinter Cell Conviction’s single player campaign is a short, fun blast with some cool new ideas, that sadly never quite reaches its full potential." The fact that you admit yourself that you hardly read my review is hillarious... so my review is a joke but you never even read it properly? How can you even comment?

"Even the fact that you wrote a review which, by definition, is to ALTER PEOPLE OPINIONS!" Actually, the review was written to share my honest opinion with people, so that they could then make up their own minds. I'm not trying to brainwash people here: the issues I mentioned are well known for christ's sake, just take a look within this forum!

Also, you keep going on about Metacritic. So, because most other reviews of the PC version ignored the various problems that plagued this release, my review is a 'joke' because I told the truth of my own time with the game? I don't care about the other critics, this is my review and I couldn't play the online multiplayer. I can play online in every other game I own, so this isn't a problem with my PC at all. I am sure it works if you do private matches. I wasn't talking about this, I was talking about the matchmaker, which should have worked and didn't.

Finally, you keep mentioning Crysis. Yet that was a completely different situation? That game was so ahead of its time that many modern systems still struggle to play it even today. My PC can handle most modern games great: it is only just under 4 months old. The fact that Conviction was such a bad port sadly factored into my score. Again, what exactally do you want me to do, rewrite the review and give it a 10 and say it was the best thing I'd ever played? Please. Perhaps you should write your own review mate?

Bahger1960
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Well, allow me to wade in with my review on SimHQ for compare-and-contrast purposes:

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_151a.html

I liked your review, McFly, but rate the game more highly than you do in spite of experiencing many of the difficulties you have. Here's why:

- FRAPS runs the game at a constant 45 - 60 FPS on my PC, it's smooth as silk.

- Adter horrendous difficulties getting coop games going, I did the port-opening dance in both my router and software firewall, got a static IP address, opened my DRM port and, finally, discovered that temporarily disabling my AV software makes both Private Match and the goofy matchmaker work. I am not too concerned about the security implications; I just run full security scans on all drives more often.

- Coop, once you can play it, is very impressive, especially Infiltration Mode, which is much closer to "classic" SC.

- Level design, controls (especially, as you say, cover) movement and weapons are all really well designed and harmonized. The game can be a blast to play.

- Gameplay is less linear than in previous SCC games. Every roomful of bad guys offers different angles of approach and execution, including, often the option to bypass. I like this.

Anyway, just my 10c. I have found the connectivity, DRM and general corporate greed on Ubi's part galling, as you have, but to me this is an example of a game where genuinely great design/gameplay is let down by greedy, misguided, broken and/or needlessly restrictive publisher's policies.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bahger1960:
Well, allow me to wade in with my review on SimHQ for compare-and-contrast purposes:

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_151a.html

I liked your review, McFly, but rate the game more highly than you do in spite of experiencing many of the difficulties you have. Here's why:

- FRAPS runs the game at a constant 45 - 60 FPS on my PC, it's smooth as silk.

- Adter horrendous difficulties getting coop games going, I did the port-opening dance in both my router and software firewall, got a static IP address, opened my DRM port and, finally, discovered that temporarily disabling my AV software makes both Private Match and the goofy matchmaker work. I am not too concerned about the security implications; I just run full security scans on all drives more often.

- Coop, once you can play it, is very impressive, especially Infiltration Mode, which is much closer to "classic" SC.

- Level design, controls (especially, as you say, cover) movement and weapons are all really well designed and harmonized. The game can be a blast to play.

- Gameplay is less linear than in previous SCC games. Every roomful of bad guys offers different angles of approach and execution, including, often the option to bypass. I like this.

Anyway, just my 10c. I have found the connectivity, DRM and general corporate greed on Ubi's part galling, as you have, but to me this is an example of a game where genuinely great design/gameplay is let down by greedy, misguided, broken and/or needlessly restrictive publisher's policies.

Thank you for a much more well thought out post Bahger!

Sadly, I somewhat disagree with altering my PC to get a game working (but kudos to you for doing so mate). I know for a fact online works if you tinker, but turning off my AV software is something I will never do for a game! I would have given this an 8 if I hadn't had any problems, but as it stands I still felt 6 was rather generous (as mentioned in my review).

I liked your review too btw! People need to remember that a review is an opinion and, as long as it is backed up, why should that ever be a problem?

UPDATE: Also, I am sure the FRAPS report was wrong. The game ran smooth at all times (just not super fast), I was just surprised that the framerate seemed to record as 15FPS no matter what settings I used! I do think this game is a bit too demanding considering it is only an Xbox 360 port, but meh!

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Guess what!!
The multi-player works for me!!!!, it is something down your end whether you choose to deny it or not, live with it.

Therefore you have-not experienced the full product as the multilayer is part of the product, how can you review a game which you have not fully experienced?

That is like buying a Ferrari and test driving around a race track at 20mph and then reviewing its racing capabilities.

Your review (as i said before and shall say it again) is a typical: "this games not good because blah blah blah doesn't work for me" which makes it a dreadful review.

First you say "most people agree with me", then you say "because most other reviews of the PC version ignored the various problems that plagued this release"
Contradiction much?

You are failing again by saying that you are finding me rude. You have run out of points to argue with and now you are trying to claim being the victim. I used caps because you failed to read what i said in my previous post but still came up with some dribble.

I can also say that what you said here "I don't think you can read mate." and here " I don't really care what you think" are both intending malice and painfully rude but I am not near your low level of sympathy searching.

Grow up.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Guess what!!
The multi-player works for me!!!!, it is something down your end whether you choose to deny it or not, live with it.

Therefore you have-not experienced the full product as the multilayer is part of the product, how can you review a game which you have not fully experienced?

That is like buying a Ferrari and test driving around a race track at 20mph and then reviewing its racing capabilities.

Your review (as i said before and shall say it again) is a typical: "this games not good because blah blah blah doesn't work for me" which makes it a dreadful review.

First you say "most people agree with me", then you say "because most other reviews of the PC version ignored the various problems that plagued this release"
Contradiction much?

You are failing again by saying that you are finding me rude. You have run out of points to argue with and now you are trying to claim being the victim. I used caps because you failed to read what i said in my previous post but still came up with some dribble.

I can also say that what you said here "I don't think you can read mate." and here " I don't really care what you think" are both intending malice and painfully rude but I am not near your low level of sympathy searching.

Grow up.

Wow, and now you decide to actually type properly and take the higher ground. How can I review the full game when it didn't work for me? How can my review have plenty of comments underneath with people agreeing if everything I said was incorrect? Are the people who have had problems with this game (there are plenty) all liars? How can so many people in the forums agree that it doesn't work? I know, I was here for three weeks reading people's complaints.

Again, you admitted that you never even really read my review, so yes, I don't really care about your opinion, sorry. It was an honest review and seemed to get a good response. I even said it would have been a solid 8 if not for the problems I had faced.

Again, you ignore my questions:

Should I re-write the review and say it worked for me when it didn't?

Should I say I love the game 100% when I don't?

What point are you trying to make exactally?

You sign up to the forum to insult me about my review, which is my OPINION let's remember, and now I need to grow up? You really need to take a step back.

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
You are basing your reviews accuracy by the amount of people who complain about it on the forums and your site?

News flash, people who dont have problems and who play the game and enjoy it are the vast majority who do not go on forums as they do not need to, since most games forums are 90% technical problems from the minority of people.

Go ahead and compare the number of people who have purchased the game vs the amount of posts on the forums.

I do not have to read bad reviews.

In response to your questions, I suggest that you do not write a review in the first place if you have not experienced the entire product. Try reviewing L4d with no on-line connection. Are the reviews who gave crysis a 7/10 because they couldn't get the game to run smooth fair?

Who said that I am insulting you?, aiming for some more sympathy? I am insulting your review and your comments, i do not know you nor am I insulting a person. I do not get insulted on the internet, its the internet which is full of insults. Is your review not insulting to ubisoft?

My posts on the thread are my OPINIONS.

I did not sign up, I signed in. The DRM on S:s gives you an UBI account. The member since date, counts from your first sign in on the forums. Don't take everything so personally.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
You are basing your reviews accuracy by the amount of people who complain about it on the forums and your site?

News flash, people who dont have problems and who play the game and enjoy it are the vast majority who do not go on forums as they do not need to, since most games forums are 90% technical problems from the minority of people.

Go ahead and compare the number of people who have purchased the game vs the amount of posts on the forums.

I do not have to read bad reviews.

In response to your questions, I suggest that you do not write a review in the first place if you have not experienced the entire product. Try reviewing L4d with no on-line connection. Are the reviews who gave crysis a 7/10 because they couldn't get the game to run smooth fair?

Who said that I am insulting you?, aiming for some more sympathy? I am insulting your review and your comments, i do not know you nor am I insulting a person. I do not get insulted on the internet, its the internet which is full of insults. Is your review not insulting to ubisoft?

My posts on the thread are my OPINIONS.

I did not sign up, I signed in. The DRM on S:s gives you an UBI account. The member since date, counts from your first sign in on the forums. Don't take everything so personally.

Fine, I admit it is a bad review. You are right, for most people the game worked amazingly well. Only myself and a handful of others had issues. I am a liar and a poor writer. Congrats, you were 100% right with everything you said. You should re-write my review and I will post it so people are no longer misinformed. It is the least I can do.

PS: It is funny you mentioned Left 4 Dead. That works great on my PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I wonder why every other game does and not Conviction? I should deffo upgrade again, obviously 4 months has already made my PC incapable of playing an Xbox port.

PPS: I can play Crysis as well. Again, is there some sort of pattern here?

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
d. You should re-write my review and I will post it so people are no longer misinformed. It is the least I can do.

Typical sarcastic response, so artificial.
When the sympathy fails, the sarcastic response is sure to work?
I have been on hundreds of forums and all of which usually the same direction until I or the other party do not reply.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">d. You should re-write my review and I will post it so people are no longer misinformed. It is the least I can do.

I have been on hundreds of forums and all of which usually the same direction until I or the other party do not reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, the multiplayer didn't work for me. It was not an isolated incident. What did you want me to do? Lie in my review? I am being sarcastic because I don't understand you!

andy1992uk
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andy1992uk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">d. You should re-write my review and I will post it so people are no longer misinformed. It is the least I can do.

I have been on hundreds of forums and all of which usually the same direction until I or the other party do not reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, the multiplayer didn't work for me. It was not an isolated incident. What did you want me to do? Lie in my review? I am being sarcastic because I don't understand you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, as I said above. If you cannot review the entire game,because of something down your end, refrain from reviewing it. As you are not reviewing part of the game and giving in a low score as you do not have the full picture. Or do what Bahger1960 did and got the other core components of the game to work so he could give a accurate review.

I for one was sceptical when buying conviction as I read those review like yours which heavily underrated the game, played it and its fantastic. The core game-play is fantastic gives you ample options and freedom. What makes and brakes a game is the core gameplay and this game just flows. 6/10 is very low for a game of its class, in my opinion.
Keep your review but I just think its just plain bad but that my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with your writing skills, you type well and the review is written to a high standard.

This will be my last response as i do not wish for the discussion which will end up going round in circles to continue.

MartyMcFly1988
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andy1992uk:

Again, the multiplayer didn't work for me. It was not an isolated incident. What did you want me to do? Lie in my review? I am being sarcastic because I don't understand you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, as I said above. If you cannot review the entire game,because of something down your end, refrain from reviewing it. As you are not reviewing part of the game and giving in a low score as you do not have the full picture. Or do what Bahger1960 did and got the other core components of the game to work so he could give a accurate review.

I for one was sceptical when buying conviction as I read those review like yours which heavily underrated the game, played it and its fantastic. The core game-play is fantastic gives you ample options and freedom. What makes and brakes a game is the core gameplay and this game just flows. 6/10 is very low for a game of its class, in my opinion.
Keep your review but I just think its just plain bad but that my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with your writing skills, you type well and the review is written to a high standard.

This will be my last response as i do not wish for the discussion which will end up going round in circles to continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bahger1960 had to disable his antivirus so he could play online. This is not something that I am willing to do (and at the time of review, the workarounds were not yet posted). Why should I risk the safety of my PC to play a game online?

You keep saying it was something on my end. I just told you: no other game has these problems! So it is my fault that my antivirus is on and my router (that works with every other game) isn't working with Ubisoft's ports?
Even Bahger1960 says in his review:

"It is particularly sad that no review of this product can be complete without drawing the attention of the consumer to what is probably the most cynical implementation of Digital Rights Management and the most half-assed Internet multiplayer infrastructure I have ever experienced in 20 years of PC gaming." Oh right, so I guess he has something wrong on his end as well?

A game with broken matchmaking and botched controller support upon launch was lucky to even get a score of 6: it had already delayed my review by a full week. It is amazing to me that you cannot accept my opinion. The score was backed up by my review, and I stand by it.

MartyMcFly1988
08-18-2010, 07:55 AM
A quick glance at the forums two months later shows that many users STILL can't play online with the built-in matchmaker.

I am glad I didn't change my review, it was lucky to get 6 out of 10! It may have upset some people but at least I was honest.

Looking back, I also love how andy1992uk said: "If you cannot review the entire game,because of something down your end, refrain from reviewing it."

Still think this is because of something down my end? People are starting petitions because they feel so ripped off for crying out loud!

Can anyone honestly say this is a good port, worth the full RRP? I think Ubisoft should stick to consoles.

FM Big Gunner
08-28-2010, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with MartyMcFly1988 that the game is lacking severely on the PC version. The xbox version is more immersive. Spotlights move and work, there is ambient audio, and more.

Not to mention that the PC version hardly ever loads the server, so even if you are playing deniable ops, you can't load your DRM'd new maps you also purchased.