PDA

View Full Version : I can't fly

Das_Aucklander
12-21-2004, 03:47 AM
i can't fly a plane at all, everytime i tried to do a right or left turn i stall, and everytime i try to do a loop i stall. can anyone teach me how to turn left/right and do a loop?

Das_Aucklander
12-21-2004, 03:47 AM
i can't fly a plane at all, everytime i tried to do a right or left turn i stall, and everytime i try to do a loop i stall. can anyone teach me how to turn left/right and do a loop?

Fehler
12-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Sure, I can help!

First, I assume you are using a joystick. Playing a flight sim without one is like driving a car without a steering wheel.

OK, now that you have a joystick, go into your "Controls" section of the main menu. I recommend changing the input values in "Pitch" "Roll", and "Yaw" from 100 across the board to something like 10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90-100. That will give you a good start and a better feel for the plane. You can re-tweak at a later date.

Now, when in the plane, dont be very ham-fisted with the controls. When I first started flight sims, I thought I have to move the stick all the way to it's stops to make a maneuver. Use smaller gentle inputs and you will discover that you are flying!

Next, really listen to your plane. If you dont have a force feedback stick, you will still be able to hear your plane beginning to stall. You may or may not even see some wing-tip vapor when you are nearing departure. When you see/feel this, ease your stick to the center to avoid the stall.

Practice this a bunch, and really learn the stall in the plane(s) you are going to fly the most.

Since you are obviously just starting off, I would recommend NOT flying the FW-190. It stalls rather easily and is not very forgiving. Try something a little easier like a Yak or even an IL2.

Let us know how this turned out for you.

Welcome to the addiction that is worse than Crack Cocaine! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fehler
12-21-2004, 04:03 AM
Oh, loops.. sorry forgot that one:

Make sure your airspeed is adequate. It's different for different planes. A Spitfire is pretty easy to loop, for example.

Dont yank the stick back to start the loop, go into it gently. If you are stalling at the top of the loop, you are either bleeding off your energy too fast, or not entering the loop at a high enough speed.

If you do stall, remember that you have to get your control surfaces to bite the air. You need to get the nose down and stop any spins for this to happen. Here is how I get out of a spin:

I cut throttle all the way, and feather prop to 0% if in manual. I wait for the nose to point down. I push the rudder to the opposite direction of the spin. I lower the flaps all the way, and even the gear if the flaps dont stop the spin. (The whole idea here is to stop the spin and give the controls surfaces a chance to bite) When I "Feel" the plane start to get under control from spinning, I slowly apply power and retract gear and flaps. I gently pull out of the dive that I have just created and pray I had enough altitude to miss the ground! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Again, spins in a 190 are tough, so try "Controlled" stalls in an easier plane like the Spitfire or the La series planes.

carguy_
12-21-2004, 04:07 AM
I think you should just turn down difficulty settings ie stalls&spins and try to perform slightest maneuvers first,then those more complicated.When you get confident enough enable stalls&spins and keep training what Fehler told you.

Das_Aucklander
12-21-2004, 04:42 AM
thanks guys for the detailed reply, i'll bookmark this thread for future refernece. i don't have a joystick, i'm using the keyboard to fly my plane, and i see this might be where the problem is. i used to play WWII Fighters, and stalling in that game is very hard to achieve. I can fly diabolically and get the slightest stall but i can recover quickly. i guess i'm too used to no stalling.

this game is pretty money demanding, first there is no standalone PF server in HL and you need to buy IL2/FB/AEP (i don't have them), now i need a joystick, i guess i better save my lunch money for a few months and buy them.