PDA

View Full Version : New Weapon : Hooks = Worry

XJoker3697D
05-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm actually kind of worried about the hook. I don't want anything like Bionic Commando or anyting. Can anyone please explain what this new weapon the "Hook" in Revelations is? I don't want Ubisoft to lose touch with the original AC.

freeze131
05-21-2011, 09:28 PM
The essence of it is to use it as a zipline to speed up transportation by up to 30% apparently.

XJoker3697D
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Eh, that's not so bad. Thank you though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

iN3krO
05-21-2011, 10:09 PM
freeze u are not full right...

The hook is used to use at ziplines... you can also shot when in ziplines... it will also be a new weapon (let's see what they do for his combat system, maybe another fuc\<ed up system like ac2/b's hidden blade)... it's also used to scale so ezio will be able to scale walls about 30% faster...

glenneey
05-22-2011, 12:49 AM
And the hook is used to hang onto higher walls you normally can't climb, good addition if you ask me.

LxLAS3RzZz
05-22-2011, 06:20 AM
I think its pretty logical, Ezio is getting on with his age and he can't do a semi-leap and grab his enemies all of the time. He likely may not be as fast aswell to grab them without perhaps having his arm cut off or the likes.

So using a weapon that will allow him to grab his enemies and draw them closer quickly.

ChaosxNetwork
05-22-2011, 07:09 AM
It is not like a grappling hook, it is just used for zip lines and you can stretch your arm out hook the guard and pull him into you.

sfin1994
05-22-2011, 07:37 AM
hopefully its not like a gun zipline or something, id prefer it to be a rope and a hook or something, dont want to end up with some Batman Arkham Asylem in my Assassins Creed

Inorganic9_2
05-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I have also read Ezio can use to climb huge buildings at lightning speed, flip over guards during a chase and use hanging pots to trapeze over streets.....yea, I'm worried.

Mr_Shade
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by xHITx_Chaos:
It is not like a grappling hook, it is just used for zip lines and you can stretch your arm out hook the guard and pull him into you.

I think you are correct from what I have read about it - it's not some hook on a wire.. shot out to grab things or people [like a spear] it's just a hook on your blade..

So Ezio uses it to 'latch' onto zip lines / ropes and hook clothing on guards..

Guess time will tell just what you can and can't do with it though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have asked for some official clarification on it - since I know it's one of the new features causing the most confusion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Loganizer25
05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
You can zipline with it (and assassinate off the zipline). The ziplines are on rooftops, so it's easier to freerun. You can also use it in combat, and I think you can disarm with it. You can also escape a fight with it, by grabbing the enemies collar and flipping over him. I think you can throw people with it, too.

You can also fling yourself off of hanging pots and grab enemies. I'm pretty sure you can climb up buildings super fast.

Inorganic9_2
05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
^ that's the worrying thing.

iN3krO
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Mr_Shade could you ask to how will altair gameplay be? if he will be as overpowered like ezio or if will be improved but still balanced? :P

PhiIs1618033
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
My greatest worry is the flipping over enemies. That **** just isn't going to happen. With all armour on, Ezio is way heavier than the average guard, so he won't achieve lift. Even if the guard has enough armour on, the guard will sooner be pulled down to the ground than Ezio will fly over him.
It's worse than the whole beam-backflip in Brotherhood.

iBoba
05-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
I have also read Ezio can use to climb huge buildings at lightning speed, flip over guards during a chase and use hanging pots to trapeze over streets.....yea, I'm worried.

WHY THE FACK IS EVERYONE WORRIED?CAN U DO FACKING BETTER THAN ALL THESE 10 COMPANIES COMBINE TOGETHER TO CREATE THIS AMAZING GAME? IT HAS BEEN AMAZING SO NOW SHUT THE FACK UP AND LET THEM DEVELOP SOMETHING MARVELOUS.

PhiIs1618033
05-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by iBoba:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

WHY THE FACK IS EVERYONE WORRIED?CAN U DO FACKING BETTER THAN ALL THESE 10 COMPANIES COMBINE TOGETHER TO CREATE THIS AMAZING GAME? IT HAS BEEN AMAZING SO NOW SHUT THE FACK UP AND LET THEM DEVELOP SOMETHING MARVELOUS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because big companies have ****ed up games before. We don't want that.

Also, caps lock is not cruise control for cool.

the_atm
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
this worried me at first because i thought that this would be like Just cause 2 but then i read about it and discoverd that it is attached to his blade i guess so he cant like grapple far away, and given that he is in his 50's this would be nice for him to have to get around, that old timer

Steelers nati0n
05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I just want some info on how it's going to work, are we still going to be able to fight with the double blades? Or are we be going to be stuck fighting with the hook the whole time?

Plus it just feels like they're trying to add too many things to the blade.

Ass4ssin8me
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Agreed. Is it just me, or are they adding too much features? I'm sure alot of us would be fine with a long campaign, good story and fun gameplay?

They are running out of ideas and are adding useless and uneeded things.

gamertam
05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by iBoba:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

WHY THE FACK IS EVERYONE WORRIED?CAN U DO FACKING BETTER THAN ALL THESE 10 COMPANIES COMBINE TOGETHER TO CREATE THIS AMAZING GAME? IT HAS BEEN AMAZING SO NOW SHUT THE FACK UP AND LET THEM DEVELOP SOMETHING MARVELOUS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt this game will be amazing. However i'm can't help if my nature is a bit skeptisim. Can someone at Ubisoft confirm whether it is similar to what Irrational Games doing with their game Bioshock Infinite?

CFord664
05-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree that they are adding too many things to the hidden blade. A single hidden blade, short blade, throwing knives, and a sword were the core. The double hidden blade is possible, but I liked the single better, because it was more iconic.

I can understand poison a little, and the poison darts have been really useful for

The hidden gun was neat, but better when capped at six shots since it made things more challenging. I see no need to use the hidden gun during execution streaks.

Execution streaks are also a bit over-the-top.

The smoke bombs were a reasonable and useful addition.

The crossbow was nice as an addition, but it should have been like heavy weapons -- a replacement for the default medium-weight weapon. This would have brought a little more strategy into the loadout.

Medicine is also unnecessary. It makes the game way too easy. Doctors, on the other hand, or a timed return of synchronization like AC1 are all reasonable.

Climb-leap is a reasonable addition since rock climbers have a similar move. Most of the free-running enviromental additions have been fun and not a problem.

Recruits have been a great addition, as have war machines to the story.

What is really excessive is armor, which is antithetical to the Assassin's second tenet. It's really obvious (even more so than Altair's original loadout), and it should be loud and clanky. We should be able to wear it during heavy fight sequences, like ACB's fight alongside Bartolomeo, but for stealth operations we need the option to remove it.

My thoughts, if you want them.

masterfenix2009
05-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Lets get this straight here people. Video games are meant to be FUN. That means Assassin's Creed is meant to be FUN. Ubisoft is adding the hookblade to:
1: To make free roaming faster. which holds the attention of the gamer.
2: To make combat more diverse, and stylish.
3: To be FUN.
I have no problem with fun. Fun is good. What games are meant to be. So give the guys a brake.

knightshad0w
05-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by glenneey:
And the hook is used to hang onto higher walls you normally can't climb, good addition if you ask me.

Can't see anything wrong with that, since it would prevent having to swim around giant walls all the time.

SaltShakerz93
05-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Seriously guys the worrying part is not the hook. What worries me is the 200 bombs. Its obvious that there would be just around 50 kinds and rest would be upgrades to them. But still 50 kinds of bombs?? Smoke bomb was alright.

PhiIs1618033
05-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by assassino151:
Lets get this straight here people. Video games are meant to be FUN. That means Assassin's Creed is meant to be FUN. Ubisoft is adding the hookblade to:
I have no problem with fun. Fun is good. What games are meant to be. So give the guys a brake.
Easy things aren't fun to me. As such, making everything easier (which is what the hookblade seems to do) is less fun.

shobhit7777777
05-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Seriously guys the worrying part is not the hook. What worries me is the 200 bombs. Its obvious that there would be just around 50 kinds and rest would be upgrades to them. But still 50 kinds of bombs?? Smoke bomb was alright.

I guess the Bombs would help you play the game in your own style:

Stealth: Flash bombs, Smoke bombs, firerackers for distraction, Time delayed bombs to set traps and ambushes. A poison smoke bomb which works like a smoke bomb but releases a deadly poison which kills some people in the area,
I mean Imagine Ezio walking towards a group of guards and stealthily drops the poison bomb at their feet..and moves on. After 2 seconds the bomb starts releasing the poisoned gas and the guards keep over dead/unconscious.

Action: Frag grenades with spikes, Caltrops as chase breakers, Using explosives to break down doors and other things to get somewhere, rigging items with bombs and then using the item to assassinate a target. The possibilities are a lot and could be really fun IMO

As for the Hookblade. It seems like a pretty good idea. It looks cool but also is very functional from what I have read. Dont really see a downside to it

Inorganic9_2
05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
@ the person who said they're making too many hidden blade additions: greed. I thought poison was unnecessary to have as a hidden blade addition. Two blades is fine. The hidden gun just about fits. The rest, I don't think really fit. Plus, how heavy are Ezio's arms getting now!?

@ the person who said faster and easier movement makes games more fun: I don't think AC should be made to appeal those inattentive people who need explosions and flashy killing to make something fun. That's te problem with so many things nowadays...people are brought up n "no explosions, no technology, having to think = no fun"

Also

Agreed. Is it just me, or are they adding too much features? I'm sure alot of us would be fine with a long campaign, good story and fun gameplay?

^ this.

PhiIs1618033
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Definitely. Even though AC1 came out four years ago, it is currently the most developing game over at thehiddenblade.com. We went from just assassinating the main targets to escaping elegantly (Jack posts videos on these forums as well), setting up races and hidden blade challenges, informant challenges (kill all targets in high profile) and whatnot. Al-Assas figured out the hit point/damage point system, we've explored several architectural structures (most notably roof dents, which display no-edge behaviour). We've got shock and awe combat (no locking, rapidly dominating the battlefield), special freerunning moves (ignoring edges, vaulting). You can even go mountain climbing! (That was found out by a guy on YouTube, not someone from the community).
AC1 is such a vast and deep game. Every situation has so many ways of resolving. Even something simple as a pickpocket mission is interesting. How fast can I pull it off? Do I mind them noticing me to obtain more speed, or do I hang back? AC1 has a richness that isn't matched in any way by AC2 or AC:B, due to the unique sandbox gameplay.

masterfenix2009
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassino151:
Easy things aren't fun to me. As such, making everything easier (which is what the hookblade seems to do) is less fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I understand that some people like challenge in their game. I don't like challenge because I don't like being angry at my game. I never said easier fighting I meant easier free-roam. And for combat I meant diverse for more choice. While I don't want the difficulty harder, Ubisoft should add a difficulty selector.

masterfenix2009
05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
@ the person who said they're making too many hidden blade additions: greed. I thought poison was unnecessary to have as a hidden blade addition. Two blades is fine. The hidden gun just about fits. The rest, I don't think really fit. Plus, how heavy are Ezio's arms getting now!?

@ the person who said faster and easier movement makes games more fun: I don't think AC should be made to appeal those inattentive people who need explosions and flashy killing to make something fun. That's te problem with so many things nowadays...people are brought up n "no explosions, no technology, having to think = no fun"

Also
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Agreed. Is it just me, or are they adding too much features? I'm sure alot of us would be fine with a long campaign, good story and fun gameplay?

^ this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know about you, but I think Constantinople is a large place. I dont want to take really long journey from one side to the other. The hookblade is making it faster to go around. That is better at holding the attention of the gamer.Thats one of the few things that I didn't like about AC1. The climbing was slow. It lowered the replay value. The second one increased the replay value with faster climbing. The hookblade makes getting to places faster and easier.

SaltShakerz93
05-24-2011, 05:46 AM
One More thing that worries me. Would the gaurds be able to follow you on ziplines?? if not then this makes it essentially a chase breaker making the game easier than it already is. I don't want that to happen!!!

endless_vigil
05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by LxLAS3RzZz:
I think its pretty logical, Ezio is getting on with his age and he can't do a semi-leap and grab his enemies all of the time. He likely may not be as fast aswell to grab them without perhaps having his arm cut off or the likes.

So using a weapon that will allow him to grab his enemies and draw them closer quickly.

I agree with LxLAS3RzZz.

Although I've not seen any pictures I imagine it will be like a small scyth perhaps?

My only concern is that it will replace the hidden blade. ludicrous thought I know but its a hook BLADE and not just a hook. My thoughts are Hidden Blade > Hook Blade? I hope not.

RzaRecta357
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
They wouldn't get rid of a feature. Obviously it'll be selectible.

knightshad0w
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SaltShakerz93:
One More thing that worries me. Would the gaurds be able to follow you on ziplines?? if not then this makes it essentially a chase breaker making the game easier than it already is. I don't want that to happen!!!

Maybe they can cut the rope while you're using it, that would be cool.

masterfenix2009
05-25-2011, 10:47 PM
That would be cool. Once they cut it you grab the rope as it falls towards the building. Than you climb up the building using the rope.

GallopRider
05-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by assassino151:
That would be cool. Once they cut it you grab the rope as it falls towards the building. Than you climb up the building using the rope.

I really like that idea. That would add some depth and variety to chases. Where's the thumbs-up button when you need it?!

JonnyQuickShot
05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I would like to point out that, while Ezio is getting on in his years, he also possessed the apple for a while. The apple could have made him stronger, or kept him from aging as much.

sassinscreed
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
that hook weapon is used in mobile phone assassins creed games