PDA

View Full Version : How to use combat flaps?

BigClaw
01-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm only an occassional user of IL2 (never have enough time). I've seen refences to combat flaps, but I'm not sure how to use them - keep them down throughout a fight? or use them just now and again at low speeds? or does it depend which plane your in?

BigClaw
01-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm only an occassional user of IL2 (never have enough time). I've seen refences to combat flaps, but I'm not sure how to use them - keep them down throughout a fight? or use them just now and again at low speeds? or does it depend which plane your in?

Athosd
01-07-2005, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigClaw:
I'm only an occassional user of IL2 (never have enough time). I've seen refences to combat flaps, but I'm not sure how to use them - keep them down throughout a fight? or use them just now and again at low speeds? or does it depend which plane your in? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely do not leave your flaps in this position all the time.

Combat flaps is minor flap setting that can be applied safely (won't result in jammed flaps) at quite high speed.
In game its generally used for short periods - when a faster turn rate is desirable, and the additional loss of speed is not a problem.

In my experience they can serve well when applied during a tight turn (bearing in mind you will lose quite a lot more energy) - and when pulling out of a power dive.

Cheers

Athos

BigClaw
01-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks - I'll give it a try - might also be a useful counter to my standard 'bomber-overshoot' manoevre

;-)

BigClaw

Athosd
01-07-2005, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigClaw:
Thanks - I'll give it a try - might also be a useful counter to my standard 'bomber-overshoot' manoevre

;-)

BigClaw <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay - just be careful about saddling up on a bombers six, the AI gunners are very handy at giving the old 'third eye' treatment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Also note that combat flaps may negatively effect your gunfire accuracy (tend to push the nose up as well as causing some buffet) - best to use them only to help get into position and retract before firing.

Tully__
01-07-2005, 09:36 AM
If you're going fast enough to black out in a tight turn without using flaps they're a waste of speed. At speeds below the lowest speed you're capable of blacking out they can give you a short period of tighter turn, but at the expense of losing speed more quickly. Experiment a bit and you'll see when they're useful and when not.

SeaFireLIV
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I love using combat flaps all the time, in fact I get really annoyed when I come across a plane that doesn`t have it (like the Hurricane or I16).

I use flaps to slow in dives, tight turns, etc. Interestingly I never jam my combat flaps, but I have if I go into landing or take off during combat. I remember telling one squad guy to use his combats flaps cos they never jam, but his did!

Maybe it`s the way I fly, but my combat flaps just never jam on me.

But even on a plane without combat flaps you can actually use the landing flaps as combat flaps if you`re careful.

Chuck_Older
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
How and why you use any degree of flaps ("combat" "landing and "takeoff" shouldn't even be used in-game, it confuses hell out of people! Degrees should be used instead- 5*, 10*, 15*, max flaps) is simple, if you understand why the flap works

What you are essentially doing is changing how the wing makes lift. You don't really need to know why or how air on one side goes faster than the other, all you need to do is know that if you are in a plane that stalls at 100 mph during level flight with no flaps, if you go to 105 mph, deploy some amount of flap, and then go slower, you can now go to say, 85 mph before you stall. And if you add more flap, maybe to 80 mph before you stall

reisen52
01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
"Maybe it`s the way I fly, but my combat flaps just never jam on me."

Flaps have deployment speed limits by extension range in degrees, exceed them and flaps should sustain damage..not sure how you fly has much to do with it, but the speed you fly at does.

These speed limits vary greatly among planes and some are very low. Some planes have a number of positions available to them & some like many Spitfire marks are either full up or full down (85 degrees).

Zeke

JG53Frankyboy
01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
in game:
combat flaps have no speed limit at all !

i dodnt know the max setting for having no damaged flaps ever when you have the flaps on a slider ( so Spits, Hurries.... have more than only landingflap setting)

reisen52
01-07-2005, 12:27 PM
"in game:
combat flaps have no speed limit at all !"

Something else to fix in BOB?

Zeke

noshens
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
what are you guys talking about? try deploying full flaps and diving at full speed... at around 400km/h you'll get message "Flaps: jammed"

lronSight
01-07-2005, 04:13 PM
They're talking about deploying flaps to the combat setting (around 5 - 8*); not nearly as much strain placed on the control surface compared to full flaps.

x__CRASH__x
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
How and why you use any degree of flaps ("combat" "landing and "takeoff" shouldn't even be used in-game, it confuses hell out of people! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But some real life planes actually list flaps in this manner. I know mine does. Manuver, Take-off/Approach, and Land

Chuck_Older
01-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, yes, but my point is: the exception is the rule in this sim, and it's confusing

If the flaps were named by degree, the term 'combat flaps' wouldn't make any confusion

reisen52
01-07-2005, 08:20 PM
"If the flaps were named by degree, the term 'combat flaps' wouldn't make any confusion"

What about the planes that don't have combat flaps?

Generally the first position out is the "Combat Flap" setting, however a large number of planes did not have this capability at the first position.

Zeke

han freak solo
01-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I love using combat flaps all the time, in fact I get really annoyed when I come across a plane that doesn`t have it (like the Hurricane or I16).

The I-16 flies like it has combat flaps extended all the time!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

x__CRASH__x
01-08-2005, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Well, yes, but my point is: the exception is the rule in this sim, and it's confusing

If the flaps were named by degree, the term 'combat flaps' wouldn't make any confusion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand your point, but I have to think that a player would have to be pretty dense not to undertand the difference between the three positions as far as where it puts the flap. And I don't think the specific degrees matters. It's how and when you use them.