PDA

View Full Version : How's the DRM treating you?

SilencedScream0
05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not looking for anyone knocking the game or Ubi, but I'm a 360 owner and one of the people who was advocating against the DRM inclusion on PC (I think the entire concept is stupid and unfair to legit consumers, even if I'm not one of those consumers).

My question is simple - who's had troubles with the constant online connection and Ubi servers, if anyone has?

ForceReconNeo
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm a legit customer and i just want to say: given that i have broadband everything works like it should.

but if i choose to download something while playing single player it keeps reconnecting.

im not bashing or flaming but single player games really used to save alot of us who want to download something big like a mod for a game, or use steam downloads while we play. that cant happen with this title.

but since i installed Windows 7 and got all my games before release i really have no problems.

in regards to the weapons, you only got 2 in past games, i think this "freedom" is sort of like "fifth freedom", why not let an aggro player try his hand? i mean the five-seven and mp5a5sd works fine for me. (and i love mp5's)

Compassghost
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
It's not bothersome, but the DRM could check in once every 10 minutes instead of once every whatever.

SilencedScream0
05-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Limerick_:
in regards to the weapons, you only got 2 in past games, i think this "freedom" is sort of like "fifth freedom", why not let an aggro player try his hand? i mean the five-seven and mp5a5sd works fine for me. (and i love mp5's)

1.) That's actually part of my signature, not part of the DRM question.

2.) It's supposed to be a stealth game. Even the developers stated that. But, as of right now, over half of the weapons are unsilenced - where one shot alerts everyone nearby.

TheStranger.
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Compassghost:
It's not bothersome, but the DRM could check in once every 10 minutes instead of once every whatever.

How about ONCE when you load the game? After the game is started and you are playing why does it need to continuously check to make sure you are legit after confirming it once.

Xessive
05-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I bought the game with the understanding that I would need a permanent/constant internet connection. I have a 14Mbps connection and I have had nothing but trouble with the DRM. The Singleplayer was practically unplayable. Every few minutes I'd get about 10 secs of the DRM flashing on and off, attempting to reconnect.

It's bad enough when you're playing, at times I'd pause the game and when I came back to unpause right as I'm hitting ESC at the menu to return to the game the stupid DRM prompt comes up and the ESC registers as a "cancel" command prompting the game to close completely.

I ave resorted to other means to play the game while bypassing the DRM. Since I purchased the game legitimately I can still play online and access Uplay when necessary. Now that the DRM is not part of the question I have a better experience and a significantly lower number of issues with the game.

Honestly, I would have had a lot more respect for Ubi if they just used Steamworks (making the game Steam-only) rather than penalizing us, the legitimate buyers, with Draconian measures like this DRM scheme.

GuZZ33
05-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by SilencedScream0:
My question is simple - who's had troubles with the constant online connection and Ubi servers.
Playing Splinter Cell Conviction maxed out 1920x1080p is an absolute pleasure ride in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, no connection issues no drop outs no stutters good playable framerates, a great experience, no different to any other game i play, apart from conviction is a tad better than most of my AAA titles http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

So i decided to try Splinter Cell Conviction in Windows XP Home 32-Bit, seeing as conviction is a DirectX 9 game i thought it might run better in Win XP 32-Bit but for me it ran worse, i get less framerates and there are occasional connection pauses, just slight drop outs but not game breaking in single player mode.

I have no problems personaly with Ubisofts DRM other than it needs to be made much more secure, it needs to be tougher, harder to break and a complete pain in the rear for the hackers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

roelbartstra
05-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by TheStranger.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Compassghost:

How about ONCE when you load the game? After the game is started and you are playing why does it need to continuously check to make sure you are legit after confirming it once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

makes it easier to crack, that's what DRM is all about keeping the pirates of a little longer.

IMO, I don't care about it, but I think I would have had lots of trouble with it if I still had an unstable wireless connection on my pc.

James-24
05-08-2010, 04:02 AM
Fine here.
Never had a problem, I don't even notice that its there.

Victoroos
05-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Also no problems add, all. Only, when I press alt+F4, the ubisoft launcher still thinks game is running

AniDavino
05-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Well, I don't really like the DRM, but it's not a big problem anymore, after I forwarded the ports that was needed. Before I did that, I would get disconnected every now and then for a sec or so, and everytime it happened, it happened 5 or 6 times in a row...

DoxilonQ
05-08-2010, 07:49 AM
After installing the game I had some master servers connection problems, but reinstalled the ubisoft launcher and it worked. Today my internet was gone, so the game stopped and I had to start over. Later when I was playing, the game freezed a few times and I had to restart the PC. I don't know why, but I can't accept invites from my friends, it says it's connecting, but later fails. It's almost impossible to find matches, because it's searching forever and sometimes ubisoft servers are unavailable. These are my problems. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

AniDavino
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DoxilonQ:
After installing the game I had some master servers connection problems, but reinstalled the ubisoft launcher and it worked. Today my internet was gone, so the game stopped and I had to start over. Later when I was playing, the game freezed a few times and I had to restart the PC. I don't know why, but I can't accept invites from my friends, it says it's connecting, but later fails. It's almost impossible to find matches, because it's searching forever and sometimes ubisoft servers are unavailable. These are my problems. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I had the same problem when trying to access the friends list (and also the exclusive content and Uplay), but I got it fixed by forwarding the ports Ubi said to forward.

Knot3D
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Usually my internet connection is good, but since I'm wireless it sometimes does get a bit spotty, which interupts the game.