PDA

View Full Version : Historical events

quillan
03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok, we already know that you don't get a radio announcement from the BdU telling you "Germany is now at war with Britain and France. All their naval vessels will be hostile to you". But, I can't help but wonder how much hidden detail there is in this game. I went out on my last patrol in early Feb, 1940 (and OMFG what a patrol, but that will be a different thread). I got back in mid-March, and ready to leave again on 14 April, 1940.

Now, historical dates. Churchill ordered mines laid in Norwegian waters in early April, in order to deny their use by German forces. Germany invaded Denmark and conquered it in a single day on 9 April. The same day, they mounted a massive naval invasion of Norway. The Ubootwaffe, knowing the British would try to interfere, placed a number of U-boats in blocking positions between Britain and Norway, to intercept and harry any British reaction to the invasion.

So, what do I get for mission orders leaving on patrol on 14 April? Travel to grid coordinates AF84 and patrol there. Where is AF84? Just off the coast of Norway, west of Trondheim. I've got no explanation in game telling me that we are covering the invasion force, but we are.

As to how it turns out, the Germans seize all their initial objectives by the 10th. The British and French land in Norway from the 14th to the 19th. There's a big battle around Narvik from April 24th to May 26th, at which point the Allies hold Narvik, but they evacuate Narvik in early June, because of the events on the mainland of Europe. The British are forced off the continent at Dunkirk between May 28th and June 4th, and the Germans go on to take France by June 25th.

quillan
03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok, we already know that you don't get a radio announcement from the BdU telling you "Germany is now at war with Britain and France. All their naval vessels will be hostile to you". But, I can't help but wonder how much hidden detail there is in this game. I went out on my last patrol in early Feb, 1940 (and OMFG what a patrol, but that will be a different thread). I got back in mid-March, and ready to leave again on 14 April, 1940.

Now, historical dates. Churchill ordered mines laid in Norwegian waters in early April, in order to deny their use by German forces. Germany invaded Denmark and conquered it in a single day on 9 April. The same day, they mounted a massive naval invasion of Norway. The Ubootwaffe, knowing the British would try to interfere, placed a number of U-boats in blocking positions between Britain and Norway, to intercept and harry any British reaction to the invasion.

So, what do I get for mission orders leaving on patrol on 14 April? Travel to grid coordinates AF84 and patrol there. Where is AF84? Just off the coast of Norway, west of Trondheim. I've got no explanation in game telling me that we are covering the invasion force, but we are.

As to how it turns out, the Germans seize all their initial objectives by the 10th. The British and French land in Norway from the 14th to the 19th. There's a big battle around Narvik from April 24th to May 26th, at which point the Allies hold Narvik, but they evacuate Narvik in early June, because of the events on the mainland of Europe. The British are forced off the continent at Dunkirk between May 28th and June 4th, and the Germans go on to take France by June 25th.

Chuck_Older
03-20-2005, 04:03 PM
You know, I still don't have the game and you're rubbing it in

Banquet
03-20-2005, 04:19 PM
This is great to hear! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I sort of suspected it because, at roughly the date Germany invaded Holland, I got orders to patrol the Dutch coast.. but then I thought - fluke - since when were the Dutch navy involved to any great extent?

I would still like to see further confirmation of this before I totally accept it isn't a co-incidence, but it sounds really hopeful that there's a layer of depth to the game that goes beyond what we could have expected.

It makes you wonder why more info isn't given via radio, etc.. to help immerse you into the ongoing war situation.

Dominicrigg
03-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah i noticed that, it just makes me wish we had messages. So much more immersion and this game would have been perfect!! Well, the patch or add on i hope!!

quillan
03-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Small update on this. When the mission started, I panned the map up, and sure enough, the Norwegian city names were colored in red, for enemy. I wasn't paying close enough attention to say if they were all there, though. By the time I made it up to the strait between Norway and Denmark, Kristiansand wasn't showing on the map anymore. Narvik disappeared between there and my arrival at AF84. I am almost positive it was on the map when I started. However, I definitely saw Trondheim change from red to blue, when the German forces captured it on April 19th. Bergen is still red.