PDA

View Full Version : X-45 throttle problem

TC_Stele
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Not sure if any of you X-45 stick users have come accross this problem. I've had my stick for maybe less than a year now. Recently I've noticed that the throttle does not go to the full 100% (110%) when I move it all the way forward. It will sometimes jump back to 90%. I check the control panel in Windows and despite moving it all the way forward it comes up short to about 90%.

I tried reinstalling the drivers but same problem persists. If I unplug it and plug the stick back in it fixes it temporarily but will want to jump back to the 90% state. I tried tightening the throttle to make it a little more stiffer when moving and no problems yet but will post if the problem occurs.

Has anyone experienced this?

TC_Stele
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Not sure if any of you X-45 stick users have come accross this problem. I've had my stick for maybe less than a year now. Recently I've noticed that the throttle does not go to the full 100% (110%) when I move it all the way forward. It will sometimes jump back to 90%. I check the control panel in Windows and despite moving it all the way forward it comes up short to about 90%.

I tried reinstalling the drivers but same problem persists. If I unplug it and plug the stick back in it fixes it temporarily but will want to jump back to the 90% state. I tried tightening the throttle to make it a little more stiffer when moving and no problems yet but will post if the problem occurs.

Has anyone experienced this?

Taylortony
03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
have you tried recalibrating it in the game? go on windows start program files look for the Ubisoft folder for the game in the last window it opens click on setup then on the joystick tab then properties, in there double click on the stick , it will bring up the calibration window, calibrate it there then click ok and save the settings.............. alternate if its the stick itself have you tried tightening the friction screw underneath it?

failing that email saitek on their site and it may be a warranty replacement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Waldo.Pepper
03-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Remove the device by clicking on Start > Settings > Control Panel and then double-click on the Game Controllers icon and delete the controller.

Run NukeUSB (this can be found on the Product Companion CD)

Follow the instructions for installing your game controller from the manual that came with the product.

BaldieJr
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Leave everything as is, but open the profile editor and, if you use a profile, edit it. If you don't use a profile, you are missing out.

Band the throttle and make an advanced command on 98-100%. Make it the "110% throttle" key command.

The key should be pressed, not repeated, and then released. If you know the software, you know what i'm talking about.

If you need it, you can make a band at 0-2% and add the key for 0% throttle.

No more problems.

Other neat tricks: band rudder so the brake key is pressed when the rudder is fully pressed one way or the other.

You can band your trim so that full-up kicks in flaps too.

Be creative.

TC_Stele
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for quick response guys. Knew I could count on the community for help. What I've tried right now before doing anything yet was tightening friction screw. Will post if something comes up.

SlickStick
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I had the same issue, so I just didn't push the throttle all the way max'd during calibration to make sure it would max in-game.

I don't use the profiler software and assign all through Controls. Also, when calibrating don't force the stick against it's stops or you create a false calibration spot that normal stick travel will not reach.

BTW - Some creative uses there Baldie. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BaldieJr
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
The trim/flap trick has already saved my butt countless times.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

F19_Orheim
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Have had this problem as well with my 1 year old X45, drops down to 80% for no reasons at time... will try out your advices guys, not the SST though, I dont use it, it messes up my systemhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanx

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately another cause of this can be that the potentiometer with in the control itself is knakerd mine spikes all the way from 60% down too 18% at certain points during its travel and I am gona have to dismantle the thing at some point and see if I can replace it. Lesson learned here dont be a brute with X45 it will not thank you. Make use of the tension screw at the base of the unit and set it nice and low as using it at two high a setting can put an unecessary strain on the 'pot'

Taylortony
03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
bald the warranty is 2 years i believe on em if its outside that try emailing them, they sent me some nice new trigger switches out free of charge for me to fit well out of warranty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ratsack
03-24-2005, 04:39 AM
I had this problem on my X-45: spiking from 98 down to 75 or lower. I dismantled it and gave the pot a shot of lube. Twisted it through a few times to work the lube through, and the problem disappeared.

The stick was a year old, and I did the fix about a year ago. It's starting again now, so it'll be out with the WD40 again, soon.

Ratsack

TooCooL34
03-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Simply hardware problem and very common among X-45 users (even new X-52 users!)
Saitek uses cheapest potentiometer.

Simmer2005
03-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Yes cleanning does help alot. If worse gets to worse, go to Radio Shack and get a volmne pot and replace it. Works great. Just bring the original to size up.

Tallyho1961
03-25-2005, 08:16 AM
This is great - I've got the same thing and had it narrowed down to a hardware issue. What does a potentiometer look like and where is it located on the unit? I want to try the WD40 or replacement fix.

TC_Stele
04-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I think I narrowed down my problem, guys. After taking a close look inside and observing the workings inside it appears that it had to deal with wear and tear.

The potentiometer has what looks like a gold metal bar like device sticking into the plastic throttle. So when you pull back or forward on the plastic throttle bar it catches on to this gold metal bar connected to the potentiometer. Over time the metal bar was tearing into the plastic throttle bar creating a gap that eventually caused no "catch" and reaction. And the gap was big enough to cause only 90% throttle. What I did was tape the metal bar up with scotch tape so that it was snug when I placed the gold bar into the plastic throttle. The gap is no longer there since it is snuggly fit. I don't seem to be having any problems for now.

Taylortony
04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
glad to see u sorted it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif