PDA

View Full Version : New Video - Uru-like? Um... no!

bowendesign
07-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Wahey!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6896&type=mov

bowendesign
07-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Wahey!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6896&type=mov (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6896&type=mov)

compucat35
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Very beautiful. My only hope is that my video card can use all that. In Revelation, I had to disable the extra effects. Looks like either way, I get to see more fluid movement. The water ripple especially got my attention. Very nice.

Mysthints
07-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I noticed the motion seemed more fluid, too. Water affects will probably depend on your graphics card, but I know Cyan has tried really hard to make Myst V very playable across a wide range of cards and systems.

Rand was right when he said that using realtime 3D in a Myst game is something you have to see in motion, not just in screenshots. When I compare Myst IV's screens to Myst V's, I feel a bit let down until I see how amazingly alive the whole world looks in a video. That little short clip using the in-game engine got me waay more excited than the longer Ubisoft-produced trailer!

dawnadunn
07-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Awesome..!!! Thanx for the heads-up on the video...!!!

I was very impressed with both the fluidity of the water...and...realism of the clouds..!!!

One complaint: The clip is tooooo short...!!!!!

Oh the anticipation..!!!!!

mszv
07-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you bowendesign. It's amazing!

neo...1
07-25-2005, 11:16 PM
What a beautifully put together 10 second clip. Excellent visuals...almost remiding me of EXILE or REVELATION. Not much of any URU-like imagery can be seen (in those few seconds that is...I think there is plenty though that can be seen as URU-like from the in-game footage though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

...the best part of all I would have to say... was hearing from Rand Miller's own mouth about how although they were utilizing 3-D Realtime they still wanted to have much more REALISTIC and dynamic environments. From the video it would definitely seem that way...from the in-game footage...well... I think there are some Non-URU-like visuals to be seen for sure but probably more URU-like elements than not. It's a good thing that the clip left out character's and avatars!

DudeMiester
07-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Looking very good! The art is excellent, as usual.

neo...1
07-25-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm also wondering if any of that imagery is "staged" for trailer purposes? Yes? No? Maybe So?

Alahmnat
07-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Cyan is very much against faking the imagery they use in their promotional materials (though Ubi doesn't seem to have as much of an aversion to that). The Uru trailer that Cyan put out proudly proclaimed that all footage was taken in-game, none of it was pre-rendered. I would honestly be stunned stupid if they changed that policy now. Not all of what is shown may be visible from the angles used, but those are, dollars to donuts, the actual scenes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was hearing from Rand Miller's own mouth about how although they were utilizing 3-D Realtime they still wanted to have much more REALISTIC and dynamic environments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do believe we've been over the difference between realism and photo-realism enough, so I won't belabor the point by disagreeing with your interpretation of what he's saying.

mr._hacker_dude
07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
The motion felt too fluid. I don't float through the air and I don't think my character does either. It also moves really fast. Am I a long distance sprinter too?

GadrenURU
07-26-2005, 08:43 PM
true, we don't float in the air, nor do we move that fast...

this isn't in-game content...it's a promotional clip! thus, the camera can swoop around however it likes for dramatic effet. that's what the Uru trailers did.

neo...1
07-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Alhamnat:
Yeah my gut was basically telling me that the environments would be "dollars to donuts" without some of the angles as well...glad to have some confirmation.

Oh and thanks for not belaboring the issue...I think I understand perfectly well what Rand was saying and so do you!

poutrew
07-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I like what I see. The water and sky effects, for example, are way beefed up compared to Uru. But then, I liked Uru just fine for its time. The game may not come with the fluidic 'floating' motion off the shelf, but I am betting those that brought us the 'Fly Mode Patch' in Uru are warming up their little hacker fingers even as we speak, and a Fly Mode will be forthcoming. First though I want this game in my computer...

Coronagold
07-27-2005, 05:16 AM
I don't think we can have that view of floating over the water till we've hacked a fly mode. I'll be well worth it.