PDA

View Full Version : Linear storyline?

salted onions
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
This thread is not about what the story of AC: Brotherhood will be, but how will it be told. So far we know that Ezio tries to restore the Assassin's Guild through recruiting people, with their main headquarters to be in Rome. But in order to attain said headquarters, he must regain control of Rome through destroying towers, killing officials, and renovating districts scattered throughout the city of Rome.

What does this mean for the nature of the story in the game? In AC2, it may have been an open world game, but for the most part, the way you went about the story was linear. You would go from one mission in this location, then go to this location for the next. The mission was usually within an area, and the story of the mission was predetermined, and chronological.

How is that possible when there are so many different angles of approaching the overall task of the game? Instead of going mission by mission, you have an over arching game-long goal of taking down these towers. This gives a lot of freedom gameplay wise, but it really restricts the story, making it very vague.

Or am I misunderstanding something, and is the retaking of Rome more like a means of unlocking the next 'true' mission, which continues the main, linear story?

primerib69
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm guessing it will unfold as you progress through the different side missions. Think of it as a tree of sorts, like you do one thing, and it branches out in different paths from there. Maybe we will have the ability to create the story from what we do. From what we've seen, i think its safe to assume that it won't be linear. Just hope that its not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

salted onions
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing it will unfold as you progress through the different side missions. Think of it as a tree of sorts, like you do one thing, and it branches out in different paths from there. Maybe we will have the ability to create the story from what we do. From what we've seen, i think its safe to assume that it won't be linear. Just hope that its not

I know what you mean when you say you hope it isn't linear, but I fear for the quality of the story if it isn't. The thing about linear stories is that it lets the story get more focused. I'm afraid this is what the story will consist of.

1. Ezio's mansion gets attacked, ohnoez
2. Neds new base, let's go to Rome gaiz.
3. In Rome, let's start destroying those towers.
4. All towers gone, let's go for Cesare Boriga!
5. *wins the game*

I'm hoping for the tower, and the renovating, and the official assassinating to be sort of a side plot, a tool used to further the plot. Like, once you unlock this section of Rome, you're able to follow what ever storyline happens in that part of the city. So the story is more like..

1. Ezio's mansion gets attacked, ohnoez
2. Neds new base, let's go to Rome gaiz.
3. In Rome, let's start destroying those towers.
4. You've destroyed a tower?! PLAGUE UPON YOU!
5. *super evil templar historically accurate dictator is sent to quell the uprising in Rome sector*
6. More stuff happens
9135. *win the game*

Something a bit deeper, like that maybe...

Oatkeeper
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
i would love to see some non-linearity like in AC2, like 1 district is available at the start and then the next sequence has 2 available for liberating/story. The issue with it if allowing for the freedom during the linear story and Story based mission structure of AC2.

More than anything I just want to see the big assassinations step away from being as scripted as they where in AC2 and more open to option like AC1

Xanatos2007
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I think everybody - including the dev team - is forgetting this whole 'genetic memory' concept in that we're playing out events that have already happened, not shaping them. Having too much freedom would ruin this aspect somewhat.

salted onions
08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Oatkeeper:
i would love to see some non-linearity like in AC2, like 1 district is available at the start and then the next sequence has 2 available for liberating/story. The issue with it if allowing for the freedom during the linear story and Story based mission structure of AC2.

More than anything I just want to see the big assassinations step away from being as scripted as they where in AC2 and more open to option like AC1

Very true, but I hope that the mission structure in AC:B doesn't become similar to that of the structure that was in AC:1. In AC1 it was
"Investigate, Assassinate, Investigate, Assassinate."
I hope in AC:B, it doesn't turn out to be something like
"Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower, Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower..."

salted onions
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I think everybody - including the dev team - is forgetting this whole 'genetic memory' concept in that we're playing out events that have already happened, not shaping them. Having too much freedom would ruin this aspect somewhat.

That is what I'm afraid is going to happen, I found it strange how you can choose which tower to destroy and such, I mean, didn't Ezio already plot the path to attacking the heart of Rome? All Desmond should be allowed to do is follow it.

EmperorxZurg
08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
well I think the excuse for it may be, "this IS the memory that already happened, you're not choosing it but you THINK you are" or some other Matrix/Inception kinda thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

NewBlade200
08-24-2010, 10:58 PM
maybe you only desynchronise if you do something huge like dying or your target gets away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

salted onions
08-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
well I think the excuse for it may be, "this IS the memory that already happened, you're not choosing it but you THINK you are" or some other Matrix/Inception kinda thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5iFQv1KaE

primerib69
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
woahh...trinity...no way....RADICAL DUDE!!!

salted onions
08-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:

Aha, Matrix jokes aside, this could be a scapegoat if they do make the story nonlinear. D: Boo for nonlinear stories. If we get to shape our story, then the story has to be vague, and chronological order can't matter, or else it wouldn't be able to be linear. A linear story provides a direction, and more focused storytelling in general. It works better in a game with a story like Assassin's Creed.

primerib69
08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:

Aha, Matrix jokes aside, this could be a scapegoat if they do make the story nonlinear. D: Boo for nonlinear stories. If we get to shape our story, then the story has to be vague, and chronological order can't matter, or else it wouldn't be able to be linear. A linear story provides a direction, and more focused storytelling in general. It works better in a game with a story like Assassin's Creed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect bro. Look at any sandbox game. The story plays out as how you want it to progress. Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4. Pretty non-linear games that are good right therrrrrr http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

EmperorxZurg
08-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Oh My GOD! Mass Effect was AHHHHMAZING!

Oatkeeper
08-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oatkeeper:

Very true, but I hope that the mission structure in AC:B doesn't become similar to that of the structure that was in AC:1. In AC1 it was
"Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower, Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As of now, thats what it looks like, but we havnt seen enough to say thats what it will be like. Im willing to bet it will be more like hidden chambers, as a district openes up with the story its available.

Im just saying I wouldnt mind showing up to rome, doing a few missions/sequences then being told about towers to liberate the area, so there would be at least 2 available immediately after the story related one already available, then when the story progresses more towers one or two towers open up at a time.

I also hope it doesnt replace climbing towers in any significant way, if there are two many of them then it could seem like that

Stormpen
08-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Oatkeeper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oatkeeper:

"Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower, Renovate City, Assassinate, Burn Tower..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As of now, thats what it looks like, but we havnt seen enough to say thats what it will be like. Im willing to bet it will be more like hidden chambers, as a district openes up with the story its available.

Im just saying I wouldnt mind showing up to rome, doing a few missions/sequences then being told about towers to liberate the area, so there would be at least 2 available immediately after the story related one already available, then when the story progresses more towers one or two towers open up at a time.

I also hope it doesnt replace climbing towers in any significant way, if there are two many of them then it could seem like that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it'll be like childprodigy said, once we establish the Assassin base in Rome, Ezio will start bothering Cesare, and the main story will progress.

Ru1986
08-25-2010, 01:26 AM
If its a similar structure to AC2 i will be happy but i am also happy to wait til novemeber to find out about something like this. I dont want to know the whole ins and outs of a game i haven't even played yet, i want some surprises, otherwise it might ruin it when i come to play it.

Caligula__
08-25-2010, 01:37 AM
all i wanna do is be able to annoy the heck out of Shaun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif that was my fav bit of AC2

Edit - Also you know about linear? when Ezio kills civilians it says "Don't kill civilians or you'll lose synchronization", that's not exactly linear, thats Desmond being a dumbo! so you can go outside the bounds of linear-y stuff

Ru1986
08-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Vx_McTavish_xV:
all i wanna do is be able to annoy the heck out of Shaun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif that was my fav bit of AC2

Edit - Also you know about linear? when Ezio kills civilians it says "Don't kill civilians or you'll lose synchronization", that's not exactly linear, thats Desmond being a dumbo! so you can go outside the bounds of linear-y stuff

Yea but what he means is it has no effect on the game or story line, if you do that nothing changes in the game apart from another dead body for peopel to step over.

Caligula__
08-25-2010, 01:59 AM
but by killing civvies you're stepping outside the lines of linear-y so it's possible to do whatever you want

primerib69
08-25-2010, 03:00 AM
bro but thats such a small detail that doesn't even half to do with anything with the story.

Caligula__
08-25-2010, 03:11 AM
but it shows that you can go outside the boundaries, like running around in circles, i'm really sure instead of killing Vieri, his arch enemy he decided to run in circles

What i'm saying is if this is possible then changing the whole story is possible

Ru1986
08-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Vx_McTavish_xV:
but it shows that you can go outside the boundaries, like running around in circles, i'm really sure instead of killing Vieri, his arch enemy he decided to run in circles

What i'm saying is if this is possible then changing the whole story is possible

Its a very valid point your right i think the thread starter has been thinking about it too much.

salted onions
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by primerib69:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:

Aha, Matrix jokes aside, this could be a scapegoat if they do make the story nonlinear. D: Boo for nonlinear stories. If we get to shape our story, then the story has to be vague, and chronological order can't matter, or else it wouldn't be able to be linear. A linear story provides a direction, and more focused storytelling in general. It works better in a game with a story like Assassin's Creed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect bro. Look at any sandbox game. The story plays out as how you want it to progress. Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4. Pretty non-linear games that are good right therrrrrr http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, GTA4 and RDR were kind of like AC2, in that they said "come to this point, start mission, unlock next mission" and it was kind of like connect the dots, except sometimes there would be more than one mission available, with little sidequests.

Mass Effect 2 is kind of open world in that you can choose what you want to do, how you want to do it, but that was because that was an RPG. (...a very, very action-y RPG) And even once you got to a planet and started a mission, the action sequences were pretty linear.

AC2 was nice and orderly because it was chronological, following Ezio's lifestory basically up until the point when he confronted Rodrigo Borgia. In AC:B, there's this overarching thing,no order, giving you free reign, which is nice and all, but that could prove detrimental to the story.

samward
08-25-2010, 12:20 PM
what about the concept of bonfires of vanities. where you have a ton of memory markers and it does not matter what marker you complete first, but until you complete them you cant go on the main or next plot point in the story, so it leaves the story sorta open, but also helps keep in linear in the fact that certain events have to happen before others. Each memory could have a cut scene in them telling us more of the story. combine that with side missions that may have to be completed in certain order and you would have a fairly linear story. Also from what the devs have been saying i think we are going to get a LOT more play time with Desmond. So maybe most of the story line is with him instead of ezio.... though they are leading us to believe that some interesting stuff will happen with leo, so I do think there will be a good storyline with ezio as well. so it will probably be somewhat like i mentioned above. but who knows, they may introduce a whole new system....but interesting point child's play...will have to give this some further thought.

EzioAssassin51
08-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by samward:
what about the concept of bonfires of vanities. where you have a ton of memory markers and it does not matter what marker you complete first, but until you complete them you cant go on the main or next plot point in the story, so it leaves the story sorta open, but also helps keep in linear in the fact that certain events have to happen before others. Each memory could have a cut scene in them telling us more of the story. combine that with side missions that may have to be completed in certain order and you would have a fairly linear story. Also from what the devs have been saying i think we are going to get a LOT more play time with Desmond. So maybe most of the story line is with him instead of ezio.... though they are leading us to believe that some interesting stuff will happen with leo, so I do think there will be a good storyline with ezio as well. so it will probably be somewhat like i mentioned above. but who knows, they may introduce a whole new system....but interesting point child's play...will have to give this some further thought.

I think that sounds pretty resonable. I think it will be like that with the Borgia Towers, not including the story constraints.

SteelCity999
08-26-2010, 06:34 AM
i haven't seen anyone mention this yet but there was a preview article on Gamespot.com that went over a few things. I discussed having 100 Borgia flags that you must capture to help with eliminating Borgia control over the city. So in essence, you get all the flags for that area and then take the tower down to fully liberate it.

One thing that I think might also be worthy of paying attention to is the assassination missions you send your folks on. Although the game stays in Rome there may very well be alot of story progressing through these missions. Alot of those cities listed played roles in the that time period. This could very well hold insight into where AC 3 will be going.

Overall, AC has a good blend of linear and openworld gameplay so you do actually care about the character. Games, such as Red Dead, were way to open and the character connection ended up geting watered down because you were just doing missions to do them. The actual story progressed way too slow. The gameplay was good in Red Dead but the story really sucked and AC has this beat hands down. I would prefer a few different varieties of missions in addition to what they have done in the past.

PlagueDoctor357
08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Umm, the story far from sucked on RDR. I know im no cowboy from the early 1900s but buddy just wanted his family back. He didn't care about these people or what they did.

I was super impressed with RDR actually. I heard it was bad because of the ending and what not. But that ending was amazing, one of the best on a video game im sure. They captured the western movie spirit so well in that game it's insane.

It's like how people call GTA4 a bad game. Just because there are no planes or anything.

Big Whoop like the monkey island treasure.

In GTA4, you could steal a car being chased by the cops, ditch it in front of an alley and hide behind a dumpster. The cops will form a parameter around the car and then come down the alley and will run RIGHT BY YOU manhunt style. Then you can get in another car and casually drive off.

Shooting people whom don't have cellphones and then running off you can get away before the cops are called 2 minutes later. If they have a phone they're on you INSTANT!

Not to mention the writing is amazing, they created a story about Cursed Heroin and some Russian Diamonds and then had them touch 3 totally different characters lives.

I love GTA4 and hate how people bash it because it wasn't San Andreas 2.

Haha anyway, enough of that rant on loving R* games.

This AC will be just as linear as the last. I only skimmed the topic but I see the TC didn't understand how the towers will work.

Without playing the game or knowing for certain im about 98% sure that the towers are nothing but side objectives you can do if you like or not. As they open the world up in districts while the story continues more towers will appear in those new areas.

Unless they give us the whole city from the start, which I highly doubt.

Can probably beat the entire game without grabbing flags or burning down towers.

In fact, I bet half the crazy fans like myself on this forum will do our second playthroughs not buying armor or burning the towers just to make the game seem harder :P

SteelCity999
08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I know this is not a RDR forum but I have to say it anyway.......THE problem with RDR's story was it was so easy to freakin see it was not even funny. Anyone who has any experience in storytelling should have seen he was going to be dead or his family was going to be dead and quite frankly they dragged on killing him way too long. In other words - predictable.

At least in AC you have had some sort of reaction when Ezio opens the vault - linear story or not. It would be nice to have the side missions provide some extra background or story to the main plot instead of all of them racing around the city or beating up people - that is only fun to a point. AC as franchise(and don't take me as comparing the two on the level) is alot like Stars Wars in that Ubi has provided a thick main storyline that really has potential to have alot of side stories intertwined in it. This is the area they need to do better in and really beef up the gameplay with these side stories - no to mention (like SW) you see how we are getting comics and who knows what else that fit in the overall framework of the franchise.

Caligula__
08-26-2010, 03:42 PM
RDR was too much like Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch and quite a few other cowboy movies just thrown together to make a game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

thekyle0
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I imagine the story will be quite linear, much the same way it was in AC2. The Borgia towers are essentially side missions. The impressive-voice-over-man even says so in the beginning of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3i-PNcOAKo&feature=sub). Although I think it would be pretty difficult to get through the game without taking down at least one tower (If only so shops can be opened to replenish Ezio's supplies) but I wouldn't predict that it will be utterly essential in order to progress through the story.

EzioAssassin51
08-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:
In fact, I bet half the crazy fans like myself on this forum will do our second playthroughs not buying armor or burning the towers just to make the game seem harder :P

Most definately

samward
08-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
I imagine the story will be quite linear, much the same way it was in AC2. The Borgia towers are essentially side missions. The impressive-voice-over-man even says so in the beginning of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3i-PNcOAKo&feature=sub). Although I think it would be pretty difficult to get through the game without taking down at least one tower (If only so shops can be opened to replenish Ezio's supplies) but I wouldn't predict that it will be utterly essential in order to progress through the story.

Never saw this version of this video, thanks for posting! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

salted onions
08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by thekyle0:

Odd, I always thought since they made it such a big deal that it would be a main gameplay mechanic that would be necessary to use. So I'm guessing these side missions are about as important as finding and synchronizing viewpoints? Well that makes me feel a bit better.