PDA

View Full Version : Need help with british aircraft in the pacific

Pappy113
04-27-2005, 02:44 PM
i am looking for an indepth list of the aircraft the raf and faa used in the pacific from start to finish. foriegn and domestic models and different variants. i would appreciate any info i can get or any links to help me find any info.

thank you all

Salfordian
04-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Just a quick list of some off the top of my head, sorry it's not
that detailed but I'm going home in 5 mins

RAF:
Hurricane I/II/IV
Spitfire V/IX/VIII
Vultee Vengeance (American Divebomber)
Mosquito
Beaufighter
Beaufort
Blenheim
Liberator (bomber and transport)
Mohawk (Trainer)
Buffalo

FAA:

Sea Gladiator (Ceylon ?)
Fulmar (Ceylon)
Martlet/Wildcat
Seafire III
Avenger
Hellcat
Corsair
Firefly
Barracuda

Try these sites, http://www.rafweb.org/Menu.htm, and http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Index.html. If you search through all the squadrons listed you can find where they were operational and what types they flew, thats what I did when looking up the flyable squadrons available in-game. If you like I could post these lists tommorow, but they are only for the in-game Sqns.

k5054
04-28-2005, 09:44 AM
A few additions to that list..Vickers vildebeest was operational in the malayan campaign. There were Swordfish at Ceylon, maybe elsewhere too. The Mohawks weren't just trainers, they were operational fighters in Burma until 1944. Catalinas and probably Sunderlands must have been around too. Wellingtons? Definitely Dakotas in large numbers.

hotspace
04-28-2005, 10:00 AM
No Spit IX's I'm afraid, but Spit 14's were sent towards the end of the war though but as far as I know not operational at the end of the war.

Hot Space

flatlander5
04-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I found a book called "Squadrons of the Royal Air Force" in a used book store the other day. It is an Air-Britain publication from 1980.

It lists every RAF Squadron and gives a list of base locations and aircraft types used from 1912-1980.

Like you, I wanted to know what types of RAF aircraft there where in different theatres and what Sqns were involved.

I am in the process of making a big Excel spead sheet listing Sqn# and the aircraft types used from Sept 1939 to Sept 1945. The entries will be in 4-month blocks of time (ie Jan-Apr, May-Aug, etc). The entries will be colour-coded for the theatre where the squadron was based (ie UK, France, Italy, N. Africa, SE Asia, India, etc).

I'm only 30% finished, but I have data transcribed for RAF Sqns #1-160.

The information covers Sqns #1-399 and 500-699. I do not have information on Sqns #400s, 700s, 800s or 900s. If anyone has the eqivalent volumes or data for these other Sqns, I'd love to hear from you, so I can add the appropriate information.

I have uploaded the incomplete Excel file at

RAF_Sqns_v1.xls (http://duke.usask.ca/~appleyar/Download/RAF_Sqns_v1.xls)

I will update the file as I have time.

Feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
~Flatlander

drapis
04-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I beleive there were several RAF squadrons in Burma that used P-47s.

WOLFMondo
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
There were several hundred P47's in RAF service out there using the Typhoon style cab ranks system for ground attack.

VW-IceFire
04-28-2005, 06:26 PM
There are some stories of operational Spitfire Mark XIV in the CBI theater during the last few weeks of the war...supposedly flying armed recon. But hard to know for sure.

Salfordian
04-29-2005, 02:47 AM
I also always thought there were no Spit IXs in the CBI theatre, but I'm sure I read somewhere of a sqn which used them briefly while transitioning from spit Vs to VIIIs. Oh well can't seem to find it now, must have made it up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif. Sunderlands, Catalinas, and Wellingtons were definitely used and some sources also say Mitchell IIs (PR duties with 681 Sqn also with various PR Spits).

Didn't know the Mohawks were used as fighters, especially that late on, pretty interesting.

FltLt_HardBall
04-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by k5054:
A few additions to that list..Vickers vildebeest was operational in the malayan campaign. There were Swordfish at Ceylon, maybe elsewhere too. Catalinas and probably Sunderlands must have been around too. Wellingtons? Definitely Dakotas in large numbers.

Some Swordfish also operated from Singapore before it fell. IIRC they operated with the AACU (Anti-Aircraft Cooperation Unit) towing target banners and suchlike. They also operated Blackburn Sharks. Several civilian types such as Tiger Moths and a Dragon Rapide were impressed into service from the local aero club. I believe a few RAF Catalinas were operating. I also read that the dutch operated Lodestars in support of British operations in Singapore.

I have been reading "Buffaloes over Singapore" for reseach into my RNZAF campaign. I'll be ready when the Singapore map is released!

p1ngu666
04-29-2005, 11:21 PM
may have used p51 too, used p47 too

and yes welligtons where used there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

hotspace
04-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
There are some stories of operational Spitfire Mark XIV in the CBI theater during the last few weeks of the war...supposedly flying armed recon. But hard to know for sure.

I had a Book once about the RAF Pilot called: Ginger Lacey and I think he flew some Combat Mission over there (No kills though as far as I remember).

Hot Space

Aaron_GT
05-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Don't forget the Halfix Mk. VI - the only British heavy bomber in the Far East, given that the Lincoln just missed the war.