10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
A one off...
A testing?
A shape of things that might come???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTRsBcSyk8

Vorondil-1986
10-01-2006, 02:39 AM
This has been posted previously yes.

If I recall correctly, this is the result of someone successfully hacking the core of the IL-2 program, and manually adding some Track-IR functionality.

mrsiCkstar
10-01-2006, 03:35 AM
I wonder why Oleg doesn't add 6DOF to IL2 since it's clearly possible. I mean all the whining about cockpit visibility would instantly disappear from the forums pretty much... no more "tempest rear view is porked!" etc...

Vorondil-1986
10-01-2006, 03:57 AM
I have heard that it is because most cockpits are not suitable for Track-IR with 6DoF. Supposedly if you would be able to move your head sideways etc. holes would be visible in the cockpit, since most cockpits have some "blind" corners that are not textured. So to implement 6DoF they would have to patch up and rework almost all cockpits. That plane in the movie is supposed to be one of the few cockpits who are fully textured.

FritzGryphon
10-01-2006, 03:57 AM
It's been clearly explained why the the 6dof won't be in IL-2.

1. Cockpit meshes have polygons removed in areas where you cannot see. There were be large holes visible if you could move your head.

2. Cockpits lack boundaries and collision boxes to prevent the player from sticking their head into pieces of the cockpit, or out of the cockpit entirely. You could push your face through the instrument panel, or through the canopy, with obvious repercussions for full-real servers.

3. The gunsight cross graphic will float in midair if you move the camera too far. You can see this in one of the hacked 6dof videos.

BoB planes will be modeled with all these things in mind. I don't even think TIR 6dof existed when Il-2 was made.

Vorondil-1986
10-01-2006, 04:24 AM
True, but I don't think that the second and third of your points are the greatest of issues.

If the programmers would add a limit to the 6DoF which would only allow you to move your head 0.1 meters in each direction, one would not be able to push the head through the cockpit walls, and I don't think the head would move far enough to make the crosshairs visible outside the gunsight. However you would be able to look around window bars and give a marginally better 6 o'clock visibility. Just a bit better on the immersion part.

But since the problem with the empty textures/polygons remain, this is not doable.

LEBillfish
10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
In that it has been explained numerous times after Track-IR's campaigning on these forums to pressure MG's, that it would simply take too much time to even just program it in......I personally don't care if this series gets it or not....As simply by changing FOV, any obstruction is easily looked around about as much as it could be real life only lacking the effect of leaning.

Points 2 above by FritzG, a HUGE issue, and what would take the most time to program as well (barring no change in cockpits).

mrsiCkstar
10-01-2006, 09:00 AM
ah, sorry for making you guys repeat already known info... it's just that that video looked pretty amazing. I personally don't have track ir (maybe I shouldn't say that around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) but if IL2 had 6DOF I'd seriously consider getting it!

Also I haven't been around for any of the 6DOF conversations before.

Philipscdrw
10-01-2006, 06:18 PM
The I-185 cockpit from the video you've shown is a proof-of-concept model for BoB's cockpits, apparently. It must have a limitations from the FB-series gunsight which can display through the panel, but otherwise the I-185 cockpit is probably 6DoF compatible.

(The Il-2 series is older than the first 2DoF TrackIR, I believe!)

It's about 80 for a 6DoF TrackIR4. It's on the wish-list, after a bigger harddrive and before a newer processor and/or graphics card.

Chivas
10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
I don't know if 6DOF is all its cracked up to be. I tried it in BOB WOV and found it so disorientating I turned it off and used some throttle keys to lean left and right. You probably would get used to it after a relatively short time but I'm old and hard to retrain. Although using the head motion in and out was nice for checking the gauges.

whiteladder
10-02-2006, 07:57 AM
The latest patch for Strike fighters has included 6 dof support for Track IR. The amount of movement in some axis is extremly limit, but it does have some advantages. Then ability to lean forward to get a better view through the the gunsight is very useful, find my self trying this when I switch to IL2 and wondering why it doesn`t work.

Vorondil-1986
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I realize fully that the implementation of 6DoF in IL2 is simply too much time-consuming work to be doable, and I would much rather see Maddox Games devote that time into Storm of War production.

I did not campaign for this feature, but merelly trying to discuss a hypothetical idea. Regarding that second point again, yes it would take a tremendous workload to program individual settings for every cockpit in the game.

(Start of hypothesis)
So to circumvent this problem one could use some universal settings which would apply for every cockpit available, these settings would allow the pilots head (the camera) to move within a small bubble, which in turn is smaller than the smallest of cockpits. Thus it would be impossible to push your camera view through any panels. In a small cockpit you would be able to move your head close to the walls or canopy, while in a large one you won't even get near.
(End of hypothesis)

But as previously said, any 6DoF implementation is impossible due to the large gaping holes that would appear within the cockpit, and due to the time factor which as I said I would rather see be spent on SoW:BoB and beyond. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

By the way, partly off topic though, sorry, has anyone on these forums had the chance to try IL2 (or similar game) with the combination of Track-IR + some kind of VR Helmet or other type of visor-screen device. If so, how was it? I'm thinking of acquiring some kind of similar combination, and try to calibrate them to synchronize your real-life head motions with the in-game camera.

Choctaw111
10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
6DOF is possible in IL2 with MUCH work. Oleg has already moved on to SoW. He does not have the time, probably months, to rework every plane to make this possible. It would be nice, yes, but not practical given the fact he is currently working on something else. Maybe someday when the source code is released (maybe) and there are still people out there who want to spend the time and do this after SoW:BoB has long been released then go for it. For now we just have to be patient and wait for Olegs next big project (SoW:BoB) and we will get everything we can possibly expect and then some. He will have a lot of surprises for us in this one I'm sure...

BadA1m
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Full 6Dof aside (as it's not going to happen) has any one come up with a working method of getting the zoom attached to TIR? I was following a thread on the TIR forums but I could never get it to work and everyone who were working on it seems to have disappeared. I have never been able to get it to work correctly. I currently have zoom attached to the slider on my x52 but just moving my head forward would be cool.