PDA

View Full Version : PlusWave's REBIRTH OF HONOR- a short review

jamesdietz
09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
On the strength of a free sample short campaign from this designer offeed here in July.I ordered the complete campaign expansion...the sample was that good.I freely admit that I keep trying to make FB/PF as full & complete as possible & this was another addition to that end,but he did another PF addition I didn;\'t ordercalled Wings over Waves,not because it din't look & work well in the free download sample,but because it is so full of action that my present set-up really can't run it well enoughto make it worth while...
So I paypaled my money to PlusWave( from Germany by the way) & waiteda bit,and eventually came a very slick looking package with cd disk & a brochure in German about the game( actually I learned all I needed to know from the PlusWave Website( http://www.pluswave.de/index.html) With the help of complete & clear downloadable instructions the install was straightforward& relatively simple (Ok I had to do it twice - I didn't read the instructions all the way thru...)
The campaign promises & delivers ,I think, a much more immersive enviroment to play out a 4 year campaign for a German pilot on the Western front.It does this by adding much in the way of surroundings to you airfield & many variations to the missions you are asked to fly.It says it has 350 missions(!!!)800 skins ( for German a/c & the Russian opposition) 150 pilot skins( yes more than you'll ever need!) & a big plus are 60 in game videos for every stage of your career..This guy has really given you your money's worth(about 20 Euros)!
Honestly one extra I really enjoy as an artist is that this guy has missions planned at some of the most colorful times of the day ,near sunrise & sunset & dusk,when the atmospherics of FB/PF shine...literally.This concern rally adds to the beauty of the sim experience...how many out there have flown the in-game Pacific campaigns that seem to be the same time of day & the same sort of mission over & over again?Those of you who have know what I'm talking about.
So I recommend it & will try to play it all the way thru...if I live long enough...By the way Plus Wave is developing one more of these to add to the line:Wings over Jungles ,due out on October...I'll definately order it too.
Maybe with new Ju-88 out soon we can expect campaigns for the medium bomber we will have on this same level?We'll see...

jamesdietz
09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
On the strength of a free sample short campaign from this designer offeed here in July.I ordered the complete campaign expansion...the sample was that good.I freely admit that I keep trying to make FB/PF as full & complete as possible & this was another addition to that end,but he did another PF addition I didn;\'t ordercalled Wings over Waves,not because it din't look & work well in the free download sample,but because it is so full of action that my present set-up really can't run it well enoughto make it worth while...
So I paypaled my money to PlusWave( from Germany by the way) & waiteda bit,and eventually came a very slick looking package with cd disk & a brochure in German about the game( actually I learned all I needed to know from the PlusWave Website( http://www.pluswave.de/index.html) With the help of complete & clear downloadable instructions the install was straightforward& relatively simple (Ok I had to do it twice - I didn't read the instructions all the way thru...)
The campaign promises & delivers ,I think, a much more immersive enviroment to play out a 4 year campaign for a German pilot on the Western front.It does this by adding much in the way of surroundings to you airfield & many variations to the missions you are asked to fly.It says it has 350 missions(!!!)800 skins ( for German a/c & the Russian opposition) 150 pilot skins( yes more than you'll ever need!) & a big plus are 60 in game videos for every stage of your career..This guy has really given you your money's worth(about 20 Euros)!
Honestly one extra I really enjoy as an artist is that this guy has missions planned at some of the most colorful times of the day ,near sunrise & sunset & dusk,when the atmospherics of FB/PF shine...literally.This concern rally adds to the beauty of the sim experience...how many out there have flown the in-game Pacific campaigns that seem to be the same time of day & the same sort of mission over & over again?Those of you who have know what I'm talking about.
So I recommend it & will try to play it all the way thru...if I live long enough...By the way Plus Wave is developing one more of these to add to the line:Wings over Jungles ,due out on October...I'll definately order it too.
Maybe with new Ju-88 out soon we can expect campaigns for the medium bomber we will have on this same level?We'll see...

MaxBruder
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Mr.Dietz. just downloaded the demos and will give them a go. Looks really good.

Saunders1953
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the detailed review. I've tried the demo, and really like the alternate reality they set up behind it, but have been mostly stuck in the Pacific for the last 6 months, and only slowly getting back in a westerly direction. Thanks in particular for the confession on having to load it twice--I always screw those up for some reason, even when I read the whole thing, so I'm pretty leery about bothering to buy them. (Banzai was a two day nightmare!) Sounds like this will install okay, even for me

Chivas
09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
The Birth of Honor demo was a very immersive campaign. To bad it took so long for the English full version to come out...I lost interest.

Kuna15
09-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Yes those PlusWave add-ons are looking really good... and some of the skins in demos are awesome (especially liked the Japanese skins). I think those titles are really worth the money judging by demos.

bhunter2112
09-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I am interested in this product. Whats the deal I went to amazon and could not find it. Is it a dowload from the site only? I would much prefer a cd to have and hold. anyone with info?

Bongokid
09-19-2005, 06:11 AM
Go on their website, they distribute their product themselves, and not in the form of downloadable files:

you select the products you want to purchase
then you're given a price including shipping
Then they send you the product as soon as they receive proof that you have paid (by paypal for example)

That's what i've done a few days ago and i'm now waiting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bongokid

major_setback
09-19-2005, 07:23 AM
I love this skin...weathered to reveal the metallic surface! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Thanks for the tip!

http://www.pluswave.de/IJ1_800_01.jpg

Capt._Tenneal
09-19-2005, 07:37 AM
That's good. Uh-huh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Now, how do we get these d@#%$^ Pluswave addons here in the USA ? No one is selling them. Even online. And I won't do the conversion of dollars to euros, no way.

Bongokid
09-19-2005, 07:43 AM
I've ordered them from canada on the pluswave website. I paid with paypal which conviently converts euros to dollars. So i guess they should be available to Us customers too.

Cheers,

Bongokid

shinden1974
09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'm in the US and did the convert...that's why when I posted about it earlier, I said you'll have to make up your own mind on whether it's worth the extra you'll pay. It's NOT downloadable. You mail order it. I ordered both WOW and ROH and they came to ~30 bucks a pop. In my mind the incredible number of skins and obvious work that went into the tremendous amount of missions was worth it. That won't hold true for everyone however. I wouldn't blame anyone who thought this was too steep.

PlusWave
09-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi,

I'm just working on a pay per download solution and a US- publisher is testing the addon.

Can't say more, but that's the way.

The best is to hear, that nearly nobody has any problems with the performance of WOW.
I made so many tests and changed so many missions to keep it playable that I got a paranoia with the time regarding this point. I was so anxious to get feedback full of angry guys having problems to play it on their machines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Martin
PlusWave.

Capt._Tenneal
09-21-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm OK with waiting. Lord knows, getting used to Oleg and his patches, I've learned to be patient and wait for however long it takes to get things released. As long as I can puchase them in the USA from a store or online from somebody that accepts a US Visa/Mastercard/Discover etc., I'm fine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

P.S. ROH and WOW are two of the products I'm eagerly awaiting for the sim.

bhunter2112
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info Pluswave. So this is going to be available in the US with a credit card? Any time frame? Any campaign briefs in english? the site seems to have have them in german. I would love to see a few mission examples. Thanks

jamesdietz
09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Plus Wave I am having great time with Rebirth of Honor, but in test freebee of WoW My FpS slows down so much that the long flights over water & the slow FPS in dogfights over ships with flak are hard to take...

Saunders1953
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey Jim, OT, but I've been meaning to ask....who is that in your sig?

jamesdietz
09-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Good question- I lifted him from a Life Magazine published just after Greek Blitzkrieg in 1940....

Chuck_Older
09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PlusWave:
Hi,

I'm just working on a pay per download solution and a US- publisher is testing the addon.

Can't say more, but that's the way.

The best is to hear, that nearly nobody has any problems with the performance of WOW.
I made so many tests and changed so many missions to keep it playable that I got a paranoia with the time regarding this point. I was so anxious to get feedback full of angry guys having problems to play it on their machines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Martin
PlusWave. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin-

these addons look incredibly competently done and show a high degree of professionalism. As an amatuer mission and campaign builder I have to say I'm duly impressed with what I have seen and am very interested in purchasing the add-ons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PlusWave
09-24-2005, 05:13 AM
Hi James,

&gt;&gt;&gt;but in test freebee of WoW My FpS slows down so
Do I understand it right that you have problems to play the WOW demo without heavy stutters?

The demo stresses your machine as much as the most stressing missions in WOW. If you can play the demo, you can play WOW.
If not you will have some problems at Tarawa and Wake in full WOW.

(It's a little bit crazy to learn that Tarawa and Wake are the most stressing maps and not New Guinea. I made missions in NG with thousands of objects on the map and they don't stress the system like those Tarawa things with only about 300 additional objects. It's the palms and the coastline!)

Martin
PlusWave

jamesdietz
09-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Martin - I seem to have the most problems with missions that have ships with a lot of anti=aircraft fire& many aircraft in the air at the same time ( this is probably not unique to me since I have a 5800 graphics card , nit exactly state of the art..) not Maps of different islands.Rebirth of Honor gives me no problems what so ever & is one of the best pay-for add -ons I've ever gotten.I look forward to wingles ove Jungles ,I just hope the missiondistances aren't too long.

PlusWave
09-25-2005, 03:33 AM
Hi,

sorry for that James.
But imagine missions flying in air raids with less planes and much weaker flak fire.
I tuned the defense fire of the ships very much, very much! down to keep it survive- and playable.
I wanted WOW to be a step forward and decided to make the missions bigger.
Compared to ROH it's not that easy to create atmosphere over nothing than sea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Martin
PlusWave

han freak solo
09-25-2005, 07:30 AM
I can't wait for Wings over Jungles! Please offer it to the USA!

jamesdietz
09-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I understand - when I upgrade my computer ( for Battle of Britain next year , )I'll purchase WoW for sure!You've done great work.Put me first in line for Wings over jungle ok?

sledgehammer2
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi folks, I have been following this thread closely and I am very interested in getting these add-ons, especially the Pacific one. I have not tried the sample campaign yet but I need to do so.

The skins look gorgeous, but that sort of leads into what is holding me back about this...do you guys think they are realistic? I realize that the whole concept behind these add-ons is alternate fictive history, but I want my Japanese Zekes to look believable. As striking as these skins are they don't look like any Japanese planes I have ever seen.

I don't mean this as a put-down and please don't take it that way. If this thing is good enough for James Dietz then that's all I need to know. It's just that I want historical realism . I agree that the stock PF campaigns are pretty dull. I tried one and ended up just deleting it. The stock FB campaigns are ok to me, and I got Battle Over Europe several months ago and play that alot.

Give me some feedback here... if historical realism is important to me should I just pass these beautiful add-ons by? Thanks.

Sledgehammer2