PDA

View Full Version : OT: WWIIOL:Battleground europe

Lord_Rhah
11-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Does anyone play this game? (actually, im not sure if its out yet, but anyway....)
i've never played the original 2001 WWIIOL, but it looked very interesting at the time. As it was payed subscription i never had a chance to try it (was unemployed dole-scum at the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

So, can anyone recommend this? i see its being distributed by GMX, which is never a good thing, but whats the actual gameplay like, and more importantly, how's the FM?
If its not actually out yet, are there any players from the original WWIIOL about? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about the 2001 game, as im sure the new one will probably be fairly similiar.

cheers for any reply

Archangel2980
11-03-2005, 07:15 AM
I played it for like 2 years I'm done with the game I'm never going back.

Lord_Rhah
11-03-2005, 07:33 AM
that good a game then eh?!
it seems like some sort of hybrid of Operation flashpoint and an old online flight sim, like Airwarrior or aces high or something. would you say this is an accurate assumption?

Xiolablu3
11-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Archangle, you are not going back 'because'?

CruiseTorpedo
11-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Rhah:
that good a game then eh?!
it seems like some sort of hybrid of Operation flashpoint and an old online flight sim, like Airwarrior or aces high or something. would you say this is an accurate assumption?

It is a lot like OFP in that the area is mostly wide open but it takes a long time to drive between cities but dont worry they've changed things a lot so if your in the mood for some fast action you can definitely get it. The graphics arent bad, I enjoyed the tank action the most out of the whole game until the RAF found out strafing tanks would kill them and continued to strafe and strafe and strafe. Made general city attacks on the ground impossible unless you had air cover which is rare unless you play allied.

My biggest gripe when I played was performance on my PC. I had a heck of a system yet anytime I'd be near a city even an empty one I'd have frame rates running in the teens. It was never smooth, but some squads flying in ww2ol say that issue is gone now with v1.2 Sure hope so! I cant say first hand, I unsubbed after a couple of months hoping they would fix the frame rates but never did and I lost patience after paying them for my account for two months and not getting to play hardly at all. General players in the game when I asked them what kind of frame rates they had, it was the same as me, they just said deal with it. Naa I dont think so

Lord_Rhah
11-03-2005, 10:18 AM
i dont have a particularly excellent system (upgrading in near future though) so thats FPS stuff is a bit of a worry, apparently you can download the game without subscribing and test out the vehicles, so i think i'll do that.
cruisetorpedo, how would you say the flight models were? stupidly simple, or anything near challenging?

Archangel2980
11-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Archangle, you are not going back 'because'?

Because I found myself flying IL2 way more then playing WWII online. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Redneckonyour6
11-13-2005, 02:54 AM
I played since release and finally un-subbed a few months back. The game is an awesome concept that was poorly executed. I can't forsee myself going back and giving them money. I payed subscription fees for 4 years non-stop and was constantly let down and frustrated. I hope this game gets all sorted out.

The ground war isn't too bad but the flight aspect of the game is a complete joke. I sometime think about going back because there is an aspect to it that no other game has. I have been too let down for too long to resub anytime soon though.