PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft FFB stick

T_O_A_D
12-19-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm told there is a program to adjust the springs in it. To help make it less sensitive with Windows XP.

Do any of you have it or know where I can find it?

I have it mixed in with the X-45 and CH pro pedals. I'm wanting to use the X-45 stick as a button bay and the throttle normaly. It all works as is but it stalls too easily. I have adjusted the stick sensitivity's through the config file, I can improve it but I'm still stalling way too easy compared to how it was with the X-45, CH PRo rudders only combo.

Any help appreciated.

T_O_A_D
12-19-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm told there is a program to adjust the springs in it. To help make it less sensitive with Windows XP.

Do any of you have it or know where I can find it?

I have it mixed in with the X-45 and CH pro pedals. I'm wanting to use the X-45 stick as a button bay and the throttle normaly. It all works as is but it stalls too easily. I have adjusted the stick sensitivity's through the config file, I can improve it but I'm still stalling way too easy compared to how it was with the X-45, CH PRo rudders only combo.

Any help appreciated.

blairgowrie
12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I think the program you are looking for is called Fedit. I had it installed but could never figure out how to use it. I'll check my download file and see if it's still around.

blairgowrie
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Found a download called Force Edit which I think is what you want. I will do some more searching.

blairgowrie
12-19-2004, 01:22 PM
T_O_A_D

I think this is the url for ForceEdit. If you get it working let me know how you did it please. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The program I mean, not the Url.

Yaim.host.SK/files/ForceEdit.zip

JG5_Scorpius
12-19-2004, 02:19 PM
The editing program and some modified files:

http://home.tiscali.nl/adsl446606/ForceEdit.zip

http://home.tiscali.nl/adsl446606/Feedback.zip

Scorpius
PS you can copy specific files to the programs force feedback map, you don't have to copy a whole set.

blairgowrie
12-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks JG5_Scorpius. I appreciate the links and will give all the files a try. The files will sure make it a lot easier than trying to figure out how ForceEdit works.

Aaron_GT
12-19-2004, 03:16 PM
I had an FFB stick at one point and it was hit and miss whether or not the forces were reasonable or not. Uninstalling the stick and reinstalling it without the associated software several times sorted it out a bit, but it was always problematic for me. (Plus sometimes the forces would suddenly vanish halfway through a game). It may have been the particular stick I had, though, as many have good experiences with it.

EURO_Snoopy
12-19-2004, 03:49 PM
You could try Blades FFB Effects (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2/files/essentials/Blades_Force_Feedback_Effects_for_IL-2.zip)

Description:
There are only 4 effects that have been modified for IL-2.

Machinegun:
From what I can tell, the machinegun effect is used for all guns smaller than 30mm. I think there is an exception with some applications of the MK108, due to its low recoil (lower muzzle velocity). I lowered this effect's strength, and re-worked it to operate on the X axis, so it doesn't conflict with the Cannon effect when firing all guns simultaneously.

Autocannon:
Changed the wave from a triangular wave to a sawtooth wave, which gives more of a punch. Lowered the velocity a bit to closely match the average velocity of the larger guns.

Shake:
Changed the wave from a single triangular wave to dual sine waves. One is large and light, which goes side to side, the other is fast and goes back and forth. The result is an unpredictable buffet, which shakes primarily from front to back, but varies slightly from other angles. It feels closer to my own experience with an aircraft stall.

Punch:
This effect seems to be used when your aircraft takes a hit, when you begin your takeoff roll, and when your gear touches the ground. The problem is many, like myself, do not like the effect in the beginning of the takeoff roll. I toned the effect down somewhat, but there is a compromise.

The light and medium effects only adjusts the strength of both the Shake and Punch. Microsoft users seem to prefer the medium effects, while Logitech users were satisfied with the light effects. I made two so each person can decide which one they prefer, and either can be used on any stick.

blairgowrie
12-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah! Now I like the effect.

I backed up the Force Feedback file, changed the file names for shake and punch then copied in the shake and punch files for medium force.

Sorry to hijack your thread T_O_A_D but I think you will benefit from my experimentation.

JG5_Scorpius
12-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't fly without it (MSFFB2). Due to the variation in stick forces I never have to look at my airspeed indicator to determine whether or not I have enough, or too much, speed for a manouevre. I use all of the default force feedback effects except for the punch effect, which is horrible. I replaced that one with the very light version.

Scorpius

Bearcat99
12-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Get an X45... it works great with a MSFFB2 stick.

T_O_A_D
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys Im about to mess with this stuff. Will let ya know later.

AFJMantis
12-21-2004, 05:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EURO_Snoopy:
You could try http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2/files/essentials/Blades_Force_Feedback_Effects_for_IL-2.zip

Description:
There are only 4 effects that have been modified for IL-2.

Machinegun:
From what I can tell, the machinegun effect is used for all guns smaller than 30mm. I think there is an exception with some applications of the MK108, due to its low recoil (lower muzzle velocity). I lowered this effect's strength, and re-worked it to operate on the X axis, so it doesn't conflict with the Cannon effect when firing all guns simultaneously.

Autocannon:
Changed the wave from a triangular wave to a sawtooth wave, which gives more of a punch. Lowered the velocity a bit to closely match the average velocity of the larger guns.

Shake:
Changed the wave from a single triangular wave to dual sine waves. One is large and light, which goes side to side, the other is fast and goes back and forth. The result is an unpredictable buffet, which shakes primarily from front to back, but varies slightly from other angles. It feels closer to my own experience with an aircraft stall.

Punch:
This effect seems to be used when your aircraft takes a hit, when you begin your takeoff roll, and when your gear touches the ground. The problem is many, like myself, do not like the effect in the beginning of the takeoff roll. I toned the effect down somewhat, but there is a compromise.

The light and medium effects only adjusts the strength of both the Shake and Punch. Microsoft users seem to prefer the medium effects, while Logitech users were satisfied with the light effects. I made two so each person can decide which one they prefer, and either can be used on any stick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spring tensions can be edited also, when editing the other effects ie shake, guns ect there is a relationship to the spring tensions.So if you get the guns just how you want them, or the stall shake, and then stiffen up the spring a little the effects of the shake and guns will be less because the extra tension on the springs acts like a damper for the effects.Vice versa is also true if you slaken off the spring tension the shake or gun effect will seem a little stronger.I find its a balancing act between the recentre tension and force effects.The spring recentre tension in WinXP is about 3 times stronger than it is in win98 as are the gun effects for some strange reason.FFB with standard files in win98 is a dream, in WinXP its a disaster, which is why it all needs editing.

Here is my version be sure to read the readme file.
http://home.attmil.ne.jp/a/Mantis/Mantis_feedback2.zip

T_O_A_D
12-21-2004, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From the readme:
For these files to work as intended the microsoft force feedback drives must be installed,
they will not work correctly with windows drivers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do I find that software. I've downloaded drivers from Microsoft for the stick but it promptly tells me they will not install in XP.

Thanks so far.

AFJ_Locust
12-21-2004, 12:17 PM
It sayes they will not install for xp or that its not recomended that you install them ?

The drivers that is?

blairgowrie
12-21-2004, 12:35 PM
I think the only place you can get the Microsoft Drivers for Force Feedback is from the original disc.

T_O_A_D
12-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I got them found them on www.driversguide.com (http://www.driversguide.com) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and they work with XP too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif