PDA

View Full Version : Field Modifications

blakduk
03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Just an idea to add to the wishlist... Wouldn't it be great if we could add our own field modifications to our virtual planes.
From all the accounts i have read of combat pilots they invariably make mention of their groundcrews and what they could achieve beyond the standard specifications.
Of course each change would probably entail some penalty as well as a benefit.
Personally i would love to add nitrous injection to a Merlin!!

blakduk
03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Just an idea to add to the wishlist... Wouldn't it be great if we could add our own field modifications to our virtual planes.
From all the accounts i have read of combat pilots they invariably make mention of their groundcrews and what they could achieve beyond the standard specifications.
Of course each change would probably entail some penalty as well as a benefit.
Personally i would love to add nitrous injection to a Merlin!!

civildog
03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
And I want the whizbang accessories like the ones I saw on Sky Captain's P-40! What I wouldn't give for a grappling hook to rip the guts out of a Betty!

And while we're at it howzabout some hand grenades on parachutes and a PPSh SMG for the backseater in my stormovik for those especially pesky 109's?

3.JG51_BigBear
03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
This would be a very cool feature. I would think that it would make flight model programming much harder because you would need a new flight model for every combination of mods. I dunno

blakduk
03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
The implications for the flight models are beyond my comprehension- like a lot of pilots, i can fly them but cant fix them.
But it would be groovy to have a few tricks up your sleeve.
It could also be as simple as adapting a bomb sight to a FW190 or as complicated as fuel-injecting a Spitfire. It would be great be able to pull off a maneuvore that was 'beyond' the aircraft of the time.
One of the problems with historical simulators is that we have the knowledge of events that were a complete surprise to those involved in initial encounters. For example, initial reports of FW190 by allied pilots were discounted as popular wisdom at the time stated that radial engines were obsolete. They soon learned but initially were caught off-guard.

LEXX_Luthor
03-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Oh No http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

3rd Party Field Mods....a new tactic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

We could add Rocket booster to Yak~3 and La~7. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Still, I wish Oleg could Field Mod some large multi~island Pacific maps for us.

JR_Greenhorn
03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
@blakduk,

In this game the closest we will ever come to field mods is what we have already. That is, each field mod is its own plane in the game, such as the Hurricane with Russian guns or the P-40 with the VK-105 engine. There are many possibilities for other planes like this based upon historical modifications that were done in significant numbers. However, such planes are a tough sell to gamers, and likely deemed not worth the development effort by the Maddox team.

Admittedly, what you are suggesting is likely best accomplished in the CFS series, but the problem there is how to police what would have been possible and execute it to a level that is historically resonable.

You might be interested in reading The Foresight War, by Anthony G. Williams

I've just got to know, blakduk, did you choose your screen name after the notorious rum running boat?

blakduk
03-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I realise the possibility with this suggestion is to open up a feast of 'cheats' that would in all likelihood be unfeasible. Its just a dream i have. I got to wondering on it after reading about the incredible weight saving the B17's got from just retaining their aluminium finish rather than using camouflage paint. Small modifications could make big differences.

In answer to your question JR_Greenhorn, i acquired my nickname many moons ago when i was a lad of about 3- i announced one day to my family that i would be an astronaut or a test pilot. When my grandmother questioned what would happen when i got married, i apparently quoted Daffy Duck and sternly stated 'Not this little black duck!' For some reason, it stuck. (I corrupted the spelling for the sake of the internet)
I had no idea an infamous rum-runner had already used it.

JR_Greenhorn
03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blakduk:
I had no idea an infamous rum-runner had already used it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Black Duck was a 50-ft rum running boat used during Prohibition. It was a homebuilt rig powered by two military surplus Liberty V-12 aero engines. Black Duck was supposedly capable of around 30 knots, and was the bane of the USCG for a time. In a controversial incident one night in 1929, Black Duck's pilothouse was sprayed with machine gun fire from a USCG vessel, mortally wounding three of the men aboard and injuring a fourth. After her capture, Black Duck was armed with a machine gun and converted for USCG-use to chase down other rum running vessels.

blakduk
03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info- i'll use the name with pride now!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Where was it based?
I've read that a lot of prohibition smugglers crossed the great lakes between the US and Canada. Was it by any chance tied to the Kennedy clan who, rumour has it, made a nice profit from the trade?

JR_Greenhorn
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
No, the Duck was based out of Massachusetts, operated by locals there.
That sort of thing was going on anywhere the US had shores on international waters.
Off the Eastern coast of the US, ships would anchor just outside of Coast Guard juristiction in intertnational waters. The ships carried lots of illegal alcohol, and many were sort of a floating speakeasy. There was nothing the Coast Guard could do about the liquor trade going on offshore, but they could intercept the boats that transported the liquor back to shore and the awaiting trucks. It sounds like it was sort of a cat and mouse game for years, but the frustrated Coast Guard kept getting more and more deadly serious. In fact, Black Duck was supposedly moored next to Coast Guard cutters during the day, but the USCG was required to catch smugglers in the act. It's really quite a story about a very unique and interesting time in US history.