PDA

View Full Version : Need specific info on intellectual property situation

Doug_Thompson
05-26-2005, 01:12 PM
In my real life, I'm a newspaper reporter. I also write an opinion column.

I need to know the specifics of this supposed licensing confict with Northrop/Grumman or whoever that I've seen mentioned.

I just got off the phone with Congressman Andrews of New Jersey, asking him about his amendment to the Defense Department budget. That's the one that would prevent U.S. Defense Contractors €" in the future €" from claiming intellectual property rights to the image of products made for the U.S. military.

The amendment is not retroactive. If somebody wants to charge royalties for a Sherman tank, to use Andrews example, they apparently have the right.

I know Oleg is still recovering from his injuries, but would appreciate word from someone with first-hand knowlege of any problems. Copies of any communications from companies making or trying to enforce intellectual property claims would be particularly appreciated.

If anybody has anything solid and first-hand to offer, post here or send a private message.

RiesenSchnauzer
05-26-2005, 05:43 PM
You won't get a straight answer on this situation and even the discussion of this subject is forbidden on these forums. Personally I treat it as nothing but an unsubstantiated rumor until I hear an official statement. I think your intentions are good but I wouldn't stick my neck out unless I understood the whole situation and UBI and Oleg have no desire to make that public knowledge for reasons of their own.

ZG77_Nagual
05-26-2005, 08:06 PM
There was a discussion of this on a legal forum - apparently for lawyers who specialize in this sort of thing - or anyway there were lawyers who seemed to know this stuff talking and sounded like they had the scoop. Don't have the addy anymore however. I'll add relevant links as I fine em.

Modelling forum article (http://www.pcmodeler.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=357&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

goshikisen
05-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Doug, you might want to take a look at the forums on this website. There was a thread that a lawyer started that discussed the specifics of the Northrop/Grumman issue about 4 or 5 months ago. It was an interesting and enlightening read. At the very least you could post a request for information.

http://www.igda.org/

Regards, Goshikisen.

SaQSoN
05-29-2005, 11:22 AM
I know Oleg is still recovering from his injuries, but would appreciate word from someone with first-hand knowlege of any problems. Copies of any communications from companies making or trying to enforce intellectual property claims would be particularly appreciated.

Doug, you should contact directly either Oleg, or Ubi officials, or both via E-mail or phone. I doubt, it is the subject for a public forum discussion.
And, only Oleg and Ubi representatives can answer your questions. Anything, put here by other persons IS NOT OFFICIAL and hardly will help you in your quest.