PDA

View Full Version : combat sounds

jensofswede2004
11-30-2004, 03:47 AM
After watching the in-game footage (iceberg attack), I'm a little disappointed with the audio effects. I miss the frantic athmosphere that could be expected when a sub crew stumble upon a bunch of enemy warships. I would of liked to hear someone cry ALAAAARM and to hear people speak a little bit faster due to the stress.

Another thing is when we are selecting a torpedo...It would of been nice to hear us say "torpedo ein..." followed by a crew member saying "Torpedo ein ist klar!" ...and then when we fire "Torpedo ein, LOS!"

I miss all those things...and it can't be that hard to implement it so we get some kind of feeling that we are on warship an not on a cruise down the river Nile.

jensofswede2004
11-30-2004, 03:47 AM
After watching the in-game footage (iceberg attack), I'm a little disappointed with the audio effects. I miss the frantic athmosphere that could be expected when a sub crew stumble upon a bunch of enemy warships. I would of liked to hear someone cry ALAAAARM and to hear people speak a little bit faster due to the stress.

Another thing is when we are selecting a torpedo...It would of been nice to hear us say "torpedo ein..." followed by a crew member saying "Torpedo ein ist klar!" ...and then when we fire "Torpedo ein, LOS!"

I miss all those things...and it can't be that hard to implement it so we get some kind of feeling that we are on warship an not on a cruise down the river Nile.

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 04:25 AM
True. Thinking about the former Release-Date in Sept/2004 the sound should be finished now. I like to hear sound-samples of the german spoken text.

In this PC-Powerplay-Video I really liked the howling of the StuKas...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2004, 08:57 AM
I agree. If there's one thing that this game lacks (and which hurts the game's atmosphere) it's convincing voices. There's no real reason why we shouldn't have a set of good quality crew sounds - voices raised in alarm when shouting 'Alarm!' and realistic responses when preparing torpedoes or answering dive instructions, etc. While I think the sim will be great without them, it would be so much better with them. It doesn't seem like a big feature, but it would make a world of difference.

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 09:09 AM
yeah... being in a steel tube with panic men adds a lot of atmosphere!

oscar0072004
11-30-2004, 09:34 AM
i agree on that . the thing is esspecially with a subsim is that sound is much more important then in say a flight sim . i really liked the voices they had for b-17 the mighty eight which were done by voice actors , then if a crewmember lost his mind you could really hear him panic . or when a member was hit by a peace of flak they would say " aaarrghh there something stickin in me " quite convinsingly.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Yeah. B-17 II had some of the most convincing voice acting I've ever heard in a game. It was awesome.

U-443
11-30-2004, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I agree. If there's one thing that this game lacks (and which hurts the game's atmosphere) it's convincing voices. There's no real reason why we shouldn't have a set of good quality crew sounds - voices raised in alarm when shouting 'Alarm!' and realistic responses when preparing torpedoes or answering dive instructions, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would of thought that this would have been one of the FIRST thoughts when looking at voices.Lets hope the Dev. team was on the ball here! I won't be happy without crew realism.

DerSchweiger
12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
in SHII i had the opportunity to replace the sound files.
I simply cutted the audio from the movie "das boot" when shouting the "ALARM" call, or the commands and reponses from the crew when firing a torpedo.

Was really cool, i hope i'll can do this in SHII too!

i think we will get commands spoken in german whith an english accent. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DerSchweiger:
i think we will get commands spoken in german whith an english accent. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. The game isn't being made in England. I doubt they'll fly over English voice actors and teach them the German words. Far easier just to hire Germans. They're geographically closer and they speak the language fluently. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

U-443
12-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Whichever, just so long as it's realistic and adds to the feel. What is the point of having an excellent engine, graphics, interior and exterior design only to hash it with poor voices. For me a large part of the game is about the men, how they felt and how they reacted and fought, to have the voices like SH2 would be appalling.

HeibgesU999
12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
I was playing Knights of the Old Republic the other night, and the sound of the ice tinkling in the glasses in the Cantina was making me paranoid. I was wearing my big old stereo headphones of course.

The sound in that game is so lush.

matteo1980
12-02-2004, 02:22 AM
I absolutely agree with that, and I must tell to DerShweiger that I also cutted the audio from the movie "das boot" too. But not only for the crew voices, also for some sound effects. For exemple for the exploding torpedos and for the internal ambient of the u-boot. I see that decreasing a bit the volume of the voices in general file by file and decreasing the volume of the diesel engines and of the batteries engines the sound effects in general is improved, because you can hear much better all the sounds that surround the u-boot, for exemple of the near ships in the surface. This increases the atmosphere really much.
I would like also to say that it would be really cool if the crew would talk more softly when the u-boot is submerged or under attack. In the new version, in which the developers say that there will be more attention to the crew feelings and behaviour, it would be really a cool thing to pay attention also to these details.- Of course this would improve the memory usage and so on, but I think that the more realistic atmosphere that will be in the game will pay. The game would be A LOT more realistic.