PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever get a single mega patch to end the patch dance?

TPN_Cephas
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
It would be really nice if 1C would publish a single upgrade patch so those who are just starting the game or reloading the sim due to issues do not have to hunt down, download and install in the correct order all these patches?

I know it would be a big file, but most other games do it that I know of. Many people get frustrated having to do the patch shuffle. I know I personally would prefer to download a mega patch each time it is updated, although that would consume lots of bandwidth I know.

It would be especially nice for the dedicated server software since the websites that cover the patching procedure (and setup) are getting hard to find. It took me a couple hours to find them all and install them in the proper order last time I set up a server.

Keep up the great work!

SeaNorris
02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Each patch is usually in the 70mb (I think) range, so patches from PF+ would be about 400mb, not very good for dail-up users.

horseback
02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Since the first time I downloaded my first patch for Il-2 Sturmovik via a phone modem lo, these many years ago, I have had a folder in My Documents labeled "Patches". It has since been joined by "Skins", "Joystick Profiles", "CEM How-Tos", and "Campaigns" among others, in my "IL-2 Stuff" folder in 'My Documents'.

I have made gifts of the FB/AEP Gold Pack and Pacific Fighters on several occasions and I am able to always include a CD/R with all the patches on it.

You might consider doing something similar...

cheers

horseback

PS-another thing to consider is how much support we've received AFTER Ubi and Oleg have gotten our money for the initial purchases. How many patches have we gotten just since Pacific fighters was issued?

Dew-Claw
02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TPN_Cephas:
It would be really nice if 1C would publish a single upgrade patch so those who are just starting the game or reloading the sim due to issues do not have to hunt down, download and install in the correct order all these patches?

I know it would be a big file, but most other games do it that I know of. Many people get frustrated having to do the patch shuffle. I know I personally would prefer to download a mega patch each time it is updated, although that would consume lots of bandwidth I know.

It would be especially nice for the dedicated server software since the websites that cover the patching procedure (and setup) are getting hard to find. It took me a couple hours to find them all and install them in the proper order last time I set up a server.

Keep up the great work!

Sure we will
it'll be ready in...
come on folks you know this.....

2 weeks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

djetz
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Just burn all the patches onto a CD. Easy.

Then, don't lose the CD. Possibly not so easy, but CDs are cheap. Make a few.

WOLFMondo
02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SeaNorris:
Each patch is usually in the 70mb (I think) range, so patches from PF+ would be about 400mb, not very good for dail-up users.

Depends on what the patches contain and if those files are overwritten in a subsequent patch. Apart from the new content in patches adding weight it could be allot smaller than you'd expect.

F16_Neo
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Isn't it just to unzip each patch into same directory, in order, overwriting files? And then zip it all together with default path to game directory like the official ones? Or am I missing something?

hamselv2
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Soon there will be a Pacific Fighters 4.03m version on the famous 'Platinum DVD':

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/5831010414