PDA

View Full Version : X-45

Breeze147
03-29-2006, 06:20 AM
I have posted this before, to ad nauseum for the rest of you, I'm sure.

I have an X-45 for about 2 years now that has never been out of the box. The reason being I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro that just lives on and on and I am so used to it, it feels like an extension of my right arm. I don't know how I could fly without the twisty stick. Yes, yes, I still sometimes have to hunt around the keyboard for some commands, but for the most part, I get by.

The problem is: I'm starting to get into jet sims again, fooling around with Strike Fighters/Wings Over Vietnam. It would be nice to have all of the various buttons readily at hand. But then I think: How can I possibly fly FB/AEP/PF without my Sidewinder. Just the throttle alone would blow my mind.

I wonder how bad it would be to use both, one for jets and one for this sim? Not as big a problem as E.D. for sure, but perplexing enough to me.

Sturm_Williger
03-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Dunno - when I moved from twisty stick to X45, a whole new world opened up for me and I've never looked back.

Ok, the rudder thing sucked, but that forced me to buy pedals and flying got even better ...

I believe I'm in the minority, but I LIKE the strong spring of the X45. A friend of mine got an X52 recently and it felt "floppy" to me. Seems real easy to overcommand on it - I like the positive feel of the X45.

Give it a try mate, having the Zoom controls on the throttle forefinger hat or flaps on the mousehat thingy is really useful...

Jetbuff
03-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Not only do I like the strong resistance of the X45, I loved the rocker. Heck, I still use it by mistake even though I now have rudder pedals.

There should be no problem having both connected at the same time if you have enough USB ports and IL-2 definitely recognizes more than one controller as does LOMAC - not sure about F4, but it should I would think. If you are really addicted to that abominable twisty stick contraption, you can mix and match using the X-45 throttle + the Sidewinder for IL-2 which I hear is a popular combination. (though I can't for the life of me figure out why - the X-45's stick has more buttons and is stiffer for better control)

Tully__
03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
IL2 series doesn't mind if more than one controller is fitted though initial setup is sometimes a nuisance. Click the "Joysticks..." link under my sig and also grab FoolTrottel's IL2Sticks utility (link also under my sig) if you're comtemplating trying it.

The rest depends on which jet sim and how it copes with multiple controllers. Worst case scenario is you unplug one and plug in the other when you swap games. On the other hand if the jet sim you choose handles multiple controllers as nicely as IL2 does, you can have both plugged in and use the MS stick as the primary stick with the X-45 throttle as throttle in both games, leaving the X-45 stick nearby on your desk for the extra buttons. This would give you the best of both worlds.

If you're lucky with your jet sim, you may even be able to use the X-45 stick to control things like target designation cursor control for Maverick TV guided missiles etc... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OD_79
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
At the moment I have got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, a Sidewinder Precion 2, a CH Products Combat stick and CH Pro Pedals plugged in all for use in IL2, not short of buttons or levers! So you can have them both plugged in.

OD.

El Turo
03-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Just switch to the X45 and don't look back.

However, start saving up for a new stick, because the X45 stick doesn't take heavy use very well.. you'll likely want to buy a CH Fighterstick to replace it within 6-18 months depending.. your mileage may vary.

Also, buy a set of CH pedals anyway.. whether you stick with your trusty stick or move to the X45. Thank me later!

:d

Ominae-
03-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I have the same joystick, but I'm considering the x52. Ive had this Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro for a couple of years now, and it seems very loose and floppy now, but more importantly my hand is too big for it i think. The bottom support that stops your hand from sliding off, is crushing my hand now. After some flying my hand gets all red.

Anyone who uses a 45 or 52, is the whole throttle thing that great? Seems like changing speed on the Sidewinder would be faster and easier.