PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR?

ACmisterE
11-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Is the TrackIR as good as it looks to be? Seems like a great thing for immersion, however, it seems like when you look to the sides or up and down, the product would work fine, but you then aren't looking at the screen! If a tree falls in the woods scenario...So anyone with experience? How is it? Thanks in advance.

ACmisterE
11-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Is the TrackIR as good as it looks to be? Seems like a great thing for immersion, however, it seems like when you look to the sides or up and down, the product would work fine, but you then aren't looking at the screen! If a tree falls in the woods scenario...So anyone with experience? How is it? Thanks in advance.

LStarosta
11-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Think, if you had to move your head so much that you couldnt see your monitor, would people buy and use the product?

No.

You just tilt your head in the direction you want to look in, and you keep your eyeballs glued onto the screen. This may be disorienting at first, but after a week or two, your situational awareness and bandit tracking will improve exponentially compared to what it was before you had the track-IR. It's a MUST. I won't fly without it.

Von_Zero
11-04-2004, 01:26 PM
with trackIR,a full 90- degree move in the cockpit would mean oly a few degrees move of one's head. ie: if you move your head 30 degrees, in the cockpit, the pilot would actually look at his six o'clcok .this proportion can be set depending on your preference.

ACmisterE
11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll have to invest in one, and bump the rudder pedals for a couple more weeks.

T_O_A_D
11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Read the link in my sig.

match it wit a good stick and pedals and your jaw will drop!!!!!!!!!

WTE_Galway
11-04-2004, 03:19 PM
once you get used to trackIR and holding your head still to shoot you can use a high acceleration profile with no deadzone that needs almost know head movement at all

Owlsphone
11-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Wouldn't fly without it. I'm not kidding when I say if I had to choose between my joystick and my TrackIR, I wouldn't be able to. You can always return it if you don't like it, but take my word for it...it's awesome.

ACmisterE
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
OK, I'm sold...next question...Which one to get? Is the Pro worth the extra few bucks?

Oh, and by-the-by, anyone have any good links for a SIMPLE(!) simpit? I've seen what watteville and a few others are doing...i wish i had the time. But I would like to toss together a reasonable simpit.

ednew
11-04-2004, 06:47 PM
The pro is worth it. I just upgraded from a TIR2 to TIR 3 PRO and its MUCH smoother. Just remember it will take some time to get used to, but don't give up on it, when ya get used to it you wouldn't dream of not using it.

LStarosta
11-04-2004, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ednew:
The pro is worth it. I just upgraded from a TIR2 to TIR 3 PRO and its MUCH smoother. Just remember it will take some time to get used to, but don't give up on it, when ya get used to it you wouldn't dream of not using it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not a valid comparison. I believe a more accurate and informing comparison would be that of the TIR3 and the TIR3 Pro.

GvSAP_Wingnut
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Don't have a frame of reference for any version but the Pro, since it was my first. Thoroughly recommend - like everyone has said, it takes a while to get used to, but then after awhile you feel naked without it.

Not only is it a more natural way to look around, but after awhile you develop pretty keen situational awareness based on your head position - you subconsciously know which way is front. I used to use padlock whenever possible but never use it now.

Are any other versions besides the Pro "enhanced"? The nice thing about it is I can turn 90 degrees to look at the TV and when I come back I'm always centered - running off the screen boundaries doesn't require a re-center except for the occasional minor adjustments.

Edit - just checked and the TIR3 and TIR3 Pro both have enhanced mode...

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
All versions of TIR support Enhanced mode, but the difference between the TIR3Pro and the V1 I had before was quite noticeable. The original is still a fine piece of equipment and I would recommend ANY version to everyone.

I've known a few people that simply haven't been able to get the hang of its use or haven't been able to get used to the movement, but for every person like that, I'd wager there are at least 100 that swear by it after their first full week of using it.

TB