PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's Guide to IL2 Online Dogfighting

jayhall0315
07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Newbie's Guide to IL2 Online Dogfighting - Update on May 26th, 2009

Hello Fellow IL2 Fans,

Working on several updates along with the June 2009 Masters List having just been released. Working with some full real guys to also best get a nice controls map standard setup for HOTAS users with a Track IR

Version 3.10 of the Newbie's Guide is still chugging along, and includes an honest mention of mods, cheating, joystick tweaks and I also fixed some of the old links. There have also been 7000 plus downloads for all versions of the guides since they originally posted, so hopefully this work is helping someone.

All the guides can now be conveniently downloaded from one site:

http://www.mediafire.com/?shar...dc50e04e75f6e8ebb871 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=47962757be5412c90c814df2efeadc50e04e75f6 e8ebb871)

They are also available separately at Mission 4 Today website in the downloads section there. Just use the search function at that site.

If you are new to IL2, then this Newbie's Guide to IL2 Online Dogfighting will hopefully help with the online portion of IL2 thru Hyperlobby and some of the most common things you can expect to see once you start to face real human opponents. If you have already started flying online but are having some frustration, then this guide might be able to give you a few helpful insights.

I suggest you use Foxit PDF Reader to open the file as it is much faster and smaller than other PDF software applications (and free). Didn't really want to make the file into the PDF format, but it was the best way to add in all the images (and later videos).

Hope you enjoy,
Jay

If you have intelligent and constructive criticism or feel that I missed something vital, please reach me by private message here at the Ubisoft IL2 Forums. I will be happy to take a look at anything truly helpful.

But beware, I do not suffer fools, dictatorial moderators, IL2 Veterans on their pedestals or censorship lightly.

flightuser
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
hi there!!

it seems that the first and third links are broken... could you post the right path?

i'm a newbie to il2 and i search material on wich to start read about

thanks in advance!!

jayhall0315
07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Flightuser ! The links have been fixed. Hope some of the info is useful to you.

Jay

flightuser
08-01-2008, 03:06 AM
yeah!!!! thanks!! now i can start read and practice!!

bye!! =)

jayhall0315
08-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Okay, now that vacation is over, there are new versions of several of the guides up, with updated information. Also several small corrections.

Cheers,
Jay

Codger1949
09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
The link to version 3.7 is not working. Thanks.

jayhall0315
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks very much for that link problem - it is fixed now.

Jay

Codger1949
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Read it and IMHO a very nice job which will benefit anybody starting out

jayhall0315
09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey thanks! I know some veterans probably felt like I injected too much of my own opinion into the Guide, but then when I started out with HL, I was using the F4U-D Corsair as a noob, and I scored about 3 kills to 700 defeats in my first few weeks online; so I came into writing the guide as a way to let others avoid my noobie pain - LOL.

What is even sillier, is that I flew the first three weeks online, without realizing that I could turn off the cockpit and kept wondering how guys were finding me ! Well, duh, they had arrows on their LCD monitors pointing the way right towards me.

So it is silly crap like that, that I hope to help other new guys avoid.

Jay

Codger1949
09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I did the very same thing, flying with cockpit on. Couldn't figure out why everybody could get on my six so easy. Live and learn. Your guide will save some pain.

jayhall0315
09-06-2008, 08:28 AM
More updates guys to all the guides, and I will have the key maps up for the Thrustmaster Cougar folks (as if they needed them though, lol). There are so many different types of Microsoft and Logitech sticks, that I am just going to stick with CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster for now (other wise, the guide would be dozens of pages long).

Cheers,
Jay

rat0a
09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by jayhall0315:
More updates guys to all the guides, and I will have the key maps up for the Thrustmaster Cougar folks (as if they needed them though, lol). There are so many different types of Microsoft and Logitech sticks, that I am just going to stick with CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster for now (other wise, the guide would be dozens of pages long).

Cheers,
Jay

Jay what about MSFFB2??? it seems to me that there are alot of people using that too

jayhall0315
09-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Atoa:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:

Cheers,
Jay

Jay what about MSFFB2??? it seems to me that there are alot of people using that too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No experience with that stick first hand, but what I am hoping is that if people read the guide on joysticks, but dont have one of the setups listed, then they can still take a look at what is mapped to say the CH Fighterstick and translate that onto the buttons of whatever stick they have. I may not have time to touch on every stick out there but hopefully it will still be helpful for giving ergonomic pointers.

Jay

jayhall0315
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I am still not happy with the ergonomic speed of control locations on the stick and throttle, so I am doing some work on rethinking the Newbie's Joystick Guide.

Stay tuned,
Jay

Codger1949
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I installed Ubuntu. Things have certainly gotten easier in the last 10 years. I tried Linux 3 other times, threw my hands up and got rid of it, muttering annoyedly about "the command line", "dos on steroids I don't need." Lol.
Not this time.

jayhall0315
09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Ubuntu rocks !!!

It is not good for running IL2 and it uses the GIMP instead of Photoshop, but other than that, it beats Windows hands down.

I only use my Windows XP RAID 0 setup for running games. Everything else, including scientific work with Matlab, etc... is all run on Ubuntu. Sometimes I even run XP virtualized inside of Ubuntu for access to both quickly.

and 128,000 plus viruses and counting for Windows, only about 41 for Linux based systems...

Jay

Afterhours
09-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank god, finally a newbie guide for newbies like me that is actually put together by a newb!

Much better than all the stuff around by those crochety old-timers that have flown the sim for several years....

Thanks!

jayhall0315
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Hope you enjoy the guide ! ... And that pretty well sums me up.... a crazed noob - LOL

Take care,
Jay

WTE_Galway
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM

and 128,000 plus viruses and counting for Windows, only about 41 for Linux based systems...

Jay

That is no longer true.

The reason so few viruses were around for linux was mainly it was a waste of time writing a linux virus, nobody interesting used it.

Now with commercial Apache webservers popping up everywhere there has been a bit of an explosion of Linux viruses over the last year or two. Still alot less than for windows but way more than 41.

On the plus side there is still only a minimal amount of malware and spyware written for Linux.

jayhall0315
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey Galway - I just checked thru my university's (UCSD) Linux database and academically speaking there are 43 known Linux viruses which can be encountered in the wild. This does not count minor variants though that are only used for academic research.

Except for the ability to run games which are difficult to run on Linux, I cannot see why anyone would pay a cent for Turdvista when Ubuntu 8.04 works so much better and makes use of IP Tables.

Jay

jayhall0315
09-23-2008, 02:39 AM
The Newbie's Guide to IL2 Joystick Setup has been completely revised. It now more naturally accommodates the body's natural timing mechanisms and motor control sensitivities. It also includes HOTAS maps for the Thrustmaster Cougar.

Cheers,
Jay

P.FunkAdelic
09-24-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:

Jay

That is no longer true.

The reason so few viruses were around for linux was mainly it was a waste of time writing a linux virus, nobody interesting used it.

Now with commercial Apache webservers popping up everywhere there has been a bit of an explosion of Linux viruses over the last year or two. Still alot less than for windows but way more than 41.

On the plus side there is still only a minimal amount of malware and spyware written for Linux. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think you give Linux programmers enough credit. The reason linux is so much better than windows in most respects is to do with the underlying strength and fortitude of the programming. The thing doesn't crash like Windows does and doesn't require such strange programming tricks to make things work. For instance it has been said that it is impossible for 32 bit systems to recognize more than 4 gigs of memory. This is a half truth. It is only possible to get a Microsoft 32 bit OS to recognize 4 gigs total. Linux 32 bit systems are able to see more.

The reason Linux is so much more stable and better protected is because it is just better programmed. It was built in the shadow of Unix, a major supercomputer OS which could not afford to be inflexible or fickle. Windows is a cheap basement job of an OS over-expanded from its meager beginnings. Cheack the history. DOS was a homemade prog Gates bought from some guy and they had to constantly work up fixes to make it function with rapidly advancing technology.

People often comment that Macs are also very stable and reliable and free of viruses. Well DUH! MacOS is just an evolution of BSD, the cousin of Linux, another Unix based OS but protected under a different liscence, one favouring business more than Open source sharing.

Linux is protected by its more limited market share but you also have to ask yourself why governments, militaries, and most of the internet are using linux derivations. They are better in most of the ways that these users are concerned with. Stability, reliability, security, flexibility.

I recall that the City of Munich is run on Linux now and that a Chinese satellite is also run on Linux. There is a great story where a US naval vessel was programmed with a windows derivative against the wishes of the maintenance crew and the system crashed causing the ship to become dead in the water and have to be towed back to base.

Linux has fewer viruses because it is a smaller mainstream crowd, but it also has fewer security loop holes and thats why its suitable for governments. There will always be viruses but linux and its brothers are just harder to hack too.

So I wouldn't say that its fair to say that nobody important uses linux. In fact more important people use it than you'd think. Most games and CGI in movies are done with Linux derivatives. The only thing holding it back is brand loyalty, partisan contracts, and the sheep not wanting to stray from a familiar pasture. The gaming end is shaping up anyway. Between emulation and a few developer made ports its growing to a point that has to end in mainstream viability for linux. You can play EVE online on linux! Nuff said.

jayhall0315
09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
More updates for the Joystick Guide - If you have feedback on the HOTAS maps that are in the Joystick Guide, please feel free to post here.

My attempts to make a Punkbuster style program to detect mods on Hyperlobby servers is coming along. If you would like to try out the beta in a week or so, post here. The program is tentatively called IL2-Mod-Detect and is designed to be used with people playing on 4.08 servers to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field.

Cheers,
Jay

neural_dream
09-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Afterhours:
Thank god, finally a newbie guide for newbies like me that is actually put together by a newb!

Much better than all the stuff around by those crochety old-timers that have flown the sim for several years....

Thanks!
If jayhall's guide includes info on each aircraft too, then forgive me for posting here. Otherwise, this one will be very useful to you and all other newbies:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=316

Unbelievable. In a flight sim forum, you cannot type cockpit! See my sig.

jayhall0315
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Neural, I think your work is the definitive aircraft reference for IL2 simmers and I will include a link to this when I update my Newbie's Guide. Your work is much appreciated (at least by me)!

Thanks - Jay

jayhall0315
12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
New updates and changes to several sections of all the guides. Also, the Advisory Board for the Master's List is almost complete. From here on out, a panel of seven experienced and high-level fliers will vote before someone is added (or removed) from the list.

Cheers,
Jay

jayhall0315
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
If you would like to read a short story about possibly the most unusual person to fly competitively online with Hyperlobby, look here:

http://files.filefront.com/The+Curious+IL2+Rammerpdf/;12695912;/fileinfo.html

Cheers and a Merry Christmas season to all - Jay

jayhall0315
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
In the name of fairness and fair evaluations, I am removing my own name (and I previously removed my voting ability as well) from one of my documents. Since I no longer have any connection to that document except tallying the votes, I think it removes any conflict of interest.

Its nice if you can have your cake and eat it too, but its not fair to others.

S! - Jay

Codger1949
02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
If you would like to read a short story about possibly the most unusual person to fly competitively online with Hyperlobby, look here:

http://files.filefront.com/The...95912;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/The+Curious+IL2+Rammerpdf/;12695912;/fileinfo.html)

Cheers and a Merry Christmas season to all - Jay Hilarious story. Thanks

Codger1949
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Getting ready to release some updates for the guides and correct small errors. One Master level flier may be going inactive since he is switching more and more to LOMAC.

I will also update the Cheating section of the Newbie's Guide in light of some recent evidence that has come my way and discussions I have had with moderators here at Ubi and other high-level fliers on Hyperlobby.

Cheers - Jay Looking forward to it. Thanks.

jayhall0315
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Codger1949:

http://files.filefront.com/The...95912;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/The+Curious+IL2+Rammerpdf/;12695912;/fileinfo.html)

Cheers and a Merry Christmas season to all - Jay Hilarious story. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has been one of our best test macaques. Great little guy and always in a good mood. He still flys on HL as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MD_Titus
02-21-2009, 05:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codger1949:

Cheers and a Merry Christmas season to all - Jay Hilarious story. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has been one of our best test macaques. Great little guy and always in a good mood. He still flys on HL as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i was recounting this tale the other day on skies of valor, and got roundly dismissed by some for believing it. any chance he can make a visit to the AVG squad? good work though fella, the research shows huge promise if you can get a macaque to do this. endless possibility for those with missing limbs or spinal damage.

Viper2005_
02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
jayhall0315, you should certainly teach him to shoot and land - then he could start scoring serious points. I suspect that the real problem is communication of the objective rather than the complexity of the control tasks.

For shooting, you could start in QMB with infinite ammo and just set the guns to fire all the time - that way he could learn to aim just like he learned to ram...

Then you could take over control of the fire button, and set up a light above the screen to shine when you fired. You could then provide a reward for the monkey pressing a button when the red light went on. That way he could learn to press the button at the correct time. Eventually he might start shooting by himself.

Tracks of people actually being shot down by a monkey would make potential youtube gold!

SittinDuck75
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for this guide Jay.
It was very helpful read.

Rammer story on your filefront page is just too cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jayhall0315
02-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
jayhall0315, you should certainly teach him to shoot and land - then he could start scoring serious points. I suspect that the real problem is communication of the objective rather than the complexity of the control tasks.

For shooting, you could start in QMB with infinite ammo and just set the guns to fire all the time - that way he could learn to aim just like he learned to ram...

Then you could take over control of the fire button, and set up a light above the screen to shine when you fired. You could then provide a reward for the monkey pressing a button when the red light went on. That way he could learn to press the button at the correct time. Eventually he might start shooting by himself.

Tracks of people actually being shot down by a monkey would make potential youtube gold!

Usually though, its a matter of what you can get passed by the Principle Investigator (PI, who is my big boss) and the University Institutional Animal Review Board that monitors all experiments for relevance, safety and care of the animals. Ramming alone is something the higher end macaques can pick up in 2-3 weeks of practice roughly but an experiment as you describe (which is fine and would work) might take as long as 3-4 months and it would have to compete with many other more 'scientific' goals where BMI applications are more pressing.

Also, think as you play, say for example, on a closed cockpit server with external views how often you use those views along with the speed gauge, altitude, etc..... to do several dozen mental computations per second. Each single one is something that a human can be told (thru language) in less than a minute while for macaques, each and every point is something that requires another 3 weeks to four months to learn. Its part of the great mystery of our human mind (which is 96% genetically identical to macaques in both base pair coding and eventual protein variety and expression) as to how we simultaneously perform manifold transactions for such different problems at the same time.

Consider this little experiment for a second (and one that goes back to Aristotle at least):

Close your eyes. Now with your eyes closed, picture in your mind the face of someone close to you (say your girlfriend, father, mother, sister, etc...). Now look at their face closely in 'your mind's eye'. Notice that it is fully three dimensional although some resolution may be lacking. Now with their face in your mind, rotate their head around inside your mind until you can view the back of their head. Can you see it ?

Any human who has not suffered major brain damage is usually able to do this in less than 1 second. And yet how we can recreate a fully three dimensional image within our own 'mind's space' is one of the true wonders of the universe ! This is called the Mind-Body problem and for me ranks right up there with Cosmological questions about the Big Bang as some of the most thought provoking stuff in science. That is why I left nuclear fusion research to work on it.

The Mind-Body problem of how the physical mind with its neurons, dendrites, axons etc.. can create beautiful music, or 'taste' a nice glass of wine, or build space probes to Saturn is up for supreme debate. For many who are religious and disdain scientific explanations and neural networks made up of thousands of coupled partial differential equations, the mind is where the soul rests. And you get these special powers because of your soul (or some Christians would say because of God). This is the Vitalist camp in the great argument. For others who equally disdain things that cannot easily be seen or tested, the mind can do these incredible things thru the special topological networking of the roughly 150 billion neurons and whose actions are governed by multiple simultaneous neural networks. If you believe this group of proponents then you would fall into the Mechanist camp. The Vitalists have been going strong since man created the first fires and started using spoken language but the Mechanists have only started to take hold since roughly late 1600s.

You decide for yourself, which way the die may be cast. It is certainly interesting from any angle.

Jay

jayhall0315
02-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Okay, Filefront where I have often stored stuff in the past for IL2 fans is on the fritz, so all my files have also been mirrored to MediaFire (a nice site with no Viagra adds or cheesy pop ups). You can find all my guides here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?shar...dc50e04e75f6e8ebb871 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=47962757be5412c90c814df2efeadc50e04e75f6 e8ebb871)

Two new Masters were voted on and made the list and I will incorporate Tully's great joystick info in the next week or so.

Cheers - Jay

jayhall0315
02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I take that back, sorry, they do have one or two cheesy pop ups but not as bad as some sites.

jayhall0315
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MD_Titus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codger1949:

He has been one of our best test macaques. Great little guy and always in a good mood. He still flys on HL as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i was recounting this tale the other day on skies of valor, and got roundly dismissed by some for believing it. any chance he can make a visit to the AVG squad? good work though fella, the research shows huge promise if you can get a macaque to do this. endless possibility for those with missing limbs or spinal damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Titus, read this wrong the other day ago. That is funny, never heard of any requests for Rammer (his actual name is Hanuman from the Ramayana epic). I assure you that story is indeed true (and we are trying to get a good paper off that work as well) although I exaggerated the sentences for comic effect. Right now, Hanuman is engaged in primary cortical referencing work but next time he goes to the lobby I will see if he can stop by the AVG site. Hehe

... although he may not be received warmly after a few rams... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jay

jayhall0315
03-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Version 3.10 of the Newbie's Guide to IL2 Online Dogfighting is up and includes new sections on joystick tweaks, mods, cheating and has several fixed links and small edits.

Hope you guys find it useful - Jay

Bearcat99
03-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afterhours:

Thanks!
If jayhall's guide includes info on each aircraft too, then forgive me for posting here. Otherwise, this one will be very useful to you and all other newbies:
http://mission4today.com/index...&file=details&id=316 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=316)

Unbelievable. In a flight sim forum, you cannot type cockpit! See my sig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats odd ND.. because I have the word "cockpit" in the Nugget's Guide where I posted a link to your program.. and it came through. That guide is still a must have..

jayhall0315
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Neural Dream, I also posted a new link in the Newbie's Guide to your aircraft guide download at M4T. I like your aircraft guide better than my simple tests. Thanks for letting me know about that previously.

S! -Jay

megalopsuche
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
This is a very helpful pdf file.

I've finally become tired of another online flight sim and am thinking of giving Il-2 a try (offline is fun, but I want to get my butt kicked). ;-)

jayhall0315
03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks Mega. You will find competition of all skill and maturity levels online with Hyperlobby.... including many butt kickers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kionsu
03-06-2009, 03:34 PM
i got il2 forgotten battles... i can fly alot of planes.. but the ai have some that are not on my list at all, do i unlock them or something? What do i do to get them?

jayhall0315
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello Kionsu - No. There are several planes that the AI can use that you will never have access to. There is no way to unlock them. But I would like to suggest that you go purchase the full IL2 1946 DVD which will allow you to have more flyable planes (do not use Valve's Steam to download it). You can then add the official patch to bring your game up to 4.08m, which is what many servers use online (with Hyperlobby).

It takes more time and modeling to introduce a flyable plane into the game by Oleg's development team that it does to simply put in a AI controlled bot model. This is why Oleg left some planes as AI controlled.

Jay

kionsu
03-07-2009, 06:41 PM
i actually got it from ubi and thanks ima download the patch now!

jayhall0315
03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
A new version of the Masters List is out and several more good fliers have been voted on and two made the cut. Some of the guides will get an update later this week.

S! fellas

Erkki_M
03-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Ahh... As entertaining as the previous ones. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

By the way, Chimanov's from Argentine, not Russia! And Ultis a Swede! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

TS_Sancho
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
A new version of the Masters List is out and several more good fliers have been voted on and two made the cut. Some of the guides will get an update later this week.

S! fellas
Jayhall, why is it that when I search for pilot stats on what most accept as the premiun full real servers spits/109s, zekes/wildcats and warclouds the only pilot on either your closed cockpit no externals or grandmasters list who has any listing at all is Chimonov?
Isnt Whistling Death supposed to be one of your tags? I dont recall ever seeing you on?

jayhall0315
03-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TS_Sancho:

S! fellas
Jayhall, why is it that when I search for pilot stats on what most accept as the premiun full real servers spits/109s, zekes/wildcats and warclouds the only pilot on either your closed cockpit no externals or grandmasters list who has any listing at all is Chimonov?
Isnt Whistling Death supposed to be one of your tags? I dont recall ever seeing you on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isnt my only callsign. Spits vs 109s is one of my haunts but my callsign is different. Also, Gadje, Mikester, Xcom, and Kosh are all frequent visitors to Spits vs 109s.

And if you have good suggestions, please send em to us. We would love to receive more good pilots as nominees. Those three servers you mention are all near the top of the list but many of the best guys we see on, are hard to catch again. Perfect example is a =gRIJ_Saos, seen him on several servers but usually for less than 20 minutes at a time and we know his squad is good and practices full real mostly. Problem is, Advisory Board members head out to look for him and cannot track him down.

Many good pilots present those same problems for us. We know what squad they are in, and that they seem damn good but actually tracking them down to watch or fight them up close is entirely stochastic.

Having said that though, we would welcome nominee applications from veterans like yourself in a heartbeat.

jayhall0315
03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:
Ahh... As entertaining as the previous ones. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

By the way, Chimanov's from Argentine, not Russia! And Ultis a Swede! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Chimanov self reported (I believe) that he was Russian but perhaps it was a mix up. Thanks for the info Erkki, we will look into it pronto and fix it.

Thanks - Jay

TS_Sancho
03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TS_Sancho:

S! fellas
Isnt Whistling Death supposed to be one of your tags? I dont recall ever seeing you on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isnt my only callsign. Spits vs 109s is one of my haunts but my callsign is different. Also, Gadje, Mikester, Xcom, and Kosh are all frequent visitors to Spits vs 109s.

And if you have good suggestions, please send em to us. We would love to receive more good pilots as nominees. Those three servers you mention are all near the top of the list but many of the best guys we see on, are hard to catch again. Perfect example is a =gRIJ_Saos, seen him on several servers but usually for less than 20 minutes at a time and we know his squad is good and practices full real mostly. Problem is, Advisory Board members head out to look for him and cannot track him down.

Many good pilots present those same problems for us. We know what squad they are in, and that they seem damn good but actually tracking them down to watch or fight them up close is entirely stochastic.

Having said that though, we would welcome nominee applications from veterans like yourself in a heartbeat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out III/JG11_Kennel, TX-Thunderbolt, 335th_GROrion and KSQN_bird for starters. All four of those guys qualify as the best of the best IMHO.

norton1974
03-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I know im very new to online but there was a guy named topex, i think, is he on your list?
This was on spits vs 109s, and he was the most impresive flyer that i came across.

jayhall0315
03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TS_Sancho:

S! fellas

Having said that though, we would welcome nominee applications from veterans like yourself in a heartbeat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out III/JG11_Kennel, TX-Thunderbolt, 335th_GROrion and KSQN_bird for starters. All four of those guys qualify as the best of the best IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Sancho ! (and Norton as well) GROrion's name has been floated about, I believe as well as Kennel and I think those guys will be cued for upcoming evaluation. We will look into all of them thanks to your submission. Very helpful and thanks !

jayhall0315
04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Getting some updates cued up for this week and thanks to helpful tips from Sokol here at Ubi, I am adjusting the Joystick Guide just a tiny bit.

Will get those updates out this week.

Cheers

sveper
04-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Very useful guide, an eye opener for me. Thank´s jayhall!

OT

Years ago I used to play Quake online. In some servers they accepted "spectactor´s view". One could join the game as an invisble spectactor and just fly around somewhere in the room and watch the other players fragging each other.

This would be a nice feature in HL i think. Watch all good pilots and learn some good tactics.

Regs
Falkman

jayhall0315
04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
You can do this now Sveper. Here is how:

1 - Join any server you like in Hyperlobby that allows external views
2 - Make sure you have a pre-defined key set for the auto pilot (or just never leave the tarmac).
3 - Once you get up, head away from all the combat and engage the auto pilot. Now go through the external views (both friendly and enemy) with the function keys and you will have a 'spectator's view' as you wish.

jayhall0315
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Check out III/JG11_Kennel, TX-Thunderbolt, 335th_GROrion and KSQN_bird for starters. All four of those guys qualify as the best of the best IMHO.

Sancho, you were indeed correct. They are some of the best. Two have made the List.

Thanks - Jay

na85
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
As much as I have mixed feelings about this project...

have a look for JG14_Josf and JG14_Hertt.

P51er
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
CIA_Elanski can be found on Warclouds almost every night. I don't know if I've ever seen him on Spits vs. 109s. I'd say he definitely belongs on your list though.

Also, I run a server so if you could elaborate on this: "I would also like to warmly thank the member of Oleg's BOB staff who provided us with the software and tools to finally catch cheaters once and for all in late March. Your gift is perhaps the best thing that has happened to this organization since its inception."

I would be *very* interested. Thanks.

jayhall0315
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by na85:
As much as I have mixed feelings about this project...

have a look for JG14_Josf and JG14_Hertt.

Yes, I know you have reservations about the List but some of our biggest critics have ended up offering us the most helpful advice (two of them serve on the Advisory Board). I appreciate this very much, I will get right on this pronto.

Much appreciated

jayhall0315
04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by P51er:
CIA_Elanski can be found on Warclouds almost every night. I don't know if I've ever seen him on Spits vs. 109s. I'd say he definitely belongs on your list though.

Also, I run a server so if you could elaborate on this: "I would also like to warmly thank the member of Oleg's BOB staff who provided us with the software and tools to finally catch cheaters once and for all in late March. Your gift is perhaps the best thing that has happened to this organization since its inception."

I would be *very* interested. Thanks.

CIA_Elanski has already been recommended to us and is right now under evaluation. We have heard many good things about him. As for the software, lets take that up in private chat, because it deals with some areas that may violate the TOS if written here publicly. Send me a PM and I will respond.

jayhall0315
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
New Masters List out for June of 2009. Updating some of the control maps for the Joystick guide and I tailored the Online Dogfighting guide just a bit and will post that shortly.

Hope it helps guys out

S!

PS - Na85, we cannot find the guys you mentioned. Send me some details of the servers they frequent by PM when you get the chance.

na85
05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I've seen them on Warclouds more than once. Nowadays it's possible they only fly online wars. Josf kicked my *** in Forgotten Skies tonight.

FYI if you're looking for the truly top class pilots most of them don't fly dogfight servers at all.

There are guys with 80+ mission streaks flying Airforce war.

jayhall0315
05-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Yep. We are working on tracking down on the greats who dont use Hyperlobby. Online wars, TUSA fights, Xfire, etc..... Little bit hard (and time consuming) though. Making progress slowly.

Thanks

jayhall0315
07-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Getting some updates planned for the Guides later this week if my netbook does not blow. Adding some new info to the Joystick Guide and may have a new guide out after vacation.

S! IL2 fans

jayhall0315
08-05-2009, 12:03 AM
The latest Masters List is out for August of 2009 and is up at Mission4Today.com.

Also, about a month after starting with Il2, I was curious as to what makes one flier better than another. Much of it is experience and basic tactics, but also a little bit of HOTAS setup, hand-eye coordination, ping, etc...

But what about, when two equals with the same HOTAS and amount of tactical experience meet ?.... then what ?

I hope to get something interesting out soon to answer that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif