PDA

View Full Version : I really need someones help

skies_blade
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I have IL-2 finally working on my computer. I have looked at everything about Il-2, and it looked like something beyond my wildest dreams. Well honestly....I suck at it. The game is incredibly amazing and I was so ready to play, but it's overwhelmingly confusing all of the things and commands and controls, and everytime I try to turn any airplane I go into a spin and die. I know no one here would understand how disappointed I am in myself. I thought I knew a lot on aircombat, trust me I am not dumb in the subject. It's just the game is so hard for a noob such as me. I don't know even where to go at the start of a mission, I can't fly worth ****. If anyone understands I desprately need someone's help. I just constantly think, all the time, about how great IL-2 is going to be when I get home from school only to find out I'm not capable of truly playing the game. It's really an undescribable feeling that leaves me very glum and angry at the fact that the only reason I am not getting the fullest from the game IL-2 is because of my deficiency in knowledge. I reallly want to be able to play I need help. I am just being thrown into the plane without any training. 1C was wrong when they thought everyone would know the BASICS. I feel pathetic writing this but I love WWII aviation and IL-2 is beyond that.

potpie69
10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Practice, practice,practice. Oh, and practice some more. Read the forums, check out this http://www.il2flying.com/, check out this http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp, Google IL2,see what comes up. But you really got to practice, that's the only way to get the hang of it. And take your time. No one he started an ace.

berg417448
10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Go here and download Straight From the Farm. It will teach you the basics:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147

MrMojok
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Don't get discouraged, and don't think this experience is unique to you. Everyone who started off with this game, regardless of previous pc flightsim experience, went through the same thing.

1)Look for a sticky on top of this forum by Bearcat99 called "A Nugget's Guide to Getting off the Ground". Check out the links contained in there.

2)Strive to make gentle, smooth movements with your joystick. Don't ham-fist it.

3)If you are having problems with gunnery, go into "quick mission" and set up a mission with your chosen plane against unarmed targets, preferably transports at first. Spend hours practicing on them. Record tracks, so you can go back in later and watch them from different angles and see where your rounds are actually going

4)Some will disagree with me on this, but I suggest flying something like a Hurricane, Zero, or perhaps a 109 at first. These planes are a bit more user-friendly to a n00b, in my opinion.

5)Keep asking questions in this thread, everyone on these boards will help you out. This is an extremely n00b-friendly place.

EDIT: I also saw your thread about freezing problems. Did you work your way through all that? I mean, is the game running ok?

Enforcer572005
10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't get discouraged. Keep at it, and realize that this is a pretty realistic sim as far as flying goes.....for a two dimensional medium.

Some planes are tamer than others, but the P-39 series has a nose wheel and better visibility on the ground, though it is easy to spin and nearly impossible to recover from. The Hurricane is a pretty tame machine as well.

Perhaps you could try auto pilot to take off at first and practice shooting landings and take offs that way. Everybody on here had to learn how to fly. Get some hrs on training misns and eventually you will be online flying with everybody. THat's where you will learn alot, once you have mastered flying online.

knightflyte
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Been playing 5 years and I still stink.

How about a little information so we can help you better. Are you using a joystick? Is it a HOTAS or just the single stick with rudder and throttle control all in one?

Have you tried adjusting sensativities in the joystick control panel? (This is probably the biggest help to you because many including myself feel the stock joystick sentativities are too sensative, thus many stalls.)

This game can be very frustrating at the beginning. Don't be hard on yourself.

Take a stable airplane out for a ride. Something like the IL2 or the SBD Dauntless will allow you time to think and not over react trying to right yourself in case a stall.

As mentioned D/L 'At the Farm' mission pack.

No question is stupid, so don't be afraid to ask.

There are lots of good helpful folk here who want to see you succeed and get the same enjoyment we have for so long from IL2.

Taylortony
10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/ (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/%7Echapman/il2guide/)

MORE HELP ABOVE, STICK WITH IT, WE ALL HAD THIS THEN ONE WONDERFUL DAY YOU WILL REALISE YOU ARE FLYING, NOT ONLY THAT YOU ARE FLYING WELL, TURNING FIGHTING AND LANDING http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif you can reduce the sensitivity of the joystick so it wont go into a spin and work up, also pick a plane like the IL2 or hurricane to start with...what version have you got? and do you have a joystick? even the cheapest crappiest stick in the world is lightyears apart from trying to fly on the keyboard....... you have some feel involved as to what the plane is doing if that makes sense..

As for all the commands, do you have a printer at home or ermmmm school http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or your Grandads? there is a keyboard layout you can print off in the game folder on your PC for quick reference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
<span class="ev_code_yellow">(1)</span> Start out with easy "settings" ~~> that could mean use hard settings but start with an easy to fly "trainer" plane.

If I recall, the IL-2 is a good trainer aircraft even on hard settings. Even better may be the D3A1 "Val" as it won't stall (well, that was 2 years ago, don't know about today).

skies::
I am just being thrown into the plane without any training.

Mojok::
4)Some will disagree with me on this, but I suggest flying something like a Hurricane, Zero, or perhaps a 109 at first. These planes are a bit more user-friendly to a n00b, in my opinion.
Agreed -- Disagree

For a TRAINER, skies wants something like Val, IL-2, maybe Ki-27/43, and ... not Hurricane, not Zero, and especially NOT Bf-109.

TB-3 -- this bomber flies itself. It takes off by itself, and almost lands by itself. Or it did when I last played the sim. Try it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

<span class="ev_code_yellow">(2)</span> Read the PDF manual. Then you will know the BASICS. 1C assumed that everyone who reads the game manual will know the basics.
I assume the same thing.

MrMojok
10-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Edit- you beat me to the punch, LEXX

LEXX_Luthor
10-15-2007, 07:06 PM
hehe Mojok, now I'm editing too!!

mmm, I'd say D3A1 "Val" because if I recall, its so much more fun than the IL-2 plane. I actually could never stall the Val no matter what combination of airspeed and stick. SBD is a bit more difficult I think.

What's the Ki-27 like?

MrMojok
10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Above all, just do't get discouraged and don't be afraid to ask for help around here. As you can see, you got about nine replies in under an hour... this is by far the most helpful game forum I've ever come across.

grndragon57
10-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Skies_Blade are you using a joystick? you came to the right place for help the people here are amazing. As others have said start with Bearcats guide and the Straight From the Farm campaign.It takes alot of practice to even get started, but in the long run it is well worth it.

VonGrantoven
10-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Once you have comfortably completed the "Straight from the farm" missions noted above, I would highly recommend the Joint Ops virtual flight school.

http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp

Doing the Basic Flight School with these guys is one of the best learning experiences I have had.
The outfit is very professional, and the instructors are top notch. Best of all it is totally free! (though it does require a considerable committment and effort).
I really can't recommend it highly enough.

M_Gunz
10-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by skies_blade:
I have IL-2 finally working on my computer. I have looked at everything about Il-2, and it looked like something beyond my wildest dreams. Well honestly....I suck at it. The game is incredibly amazing and I was so ready to play, but it's overwhelmingly confusing all of the things and commands and controls, and everytime I try to turn any airplane I go into a spin and die. I know no one here would understand how disappointed I am in myself. I thought I knew a lot on aircombat, trust me I am not dumb in the subject. It's just the game is so hard for a noob such as me. I don't know even where to go at the start of a mission, I can't fly worth ****. If anyone understands I desprately need someone's help. I just constantly think, all the time, about how great IL-2 is going to be when I get home from school only to find out I'm not capable of truly playing the game. It's really an undescribable feeling that leaves me very glum and angry at the fact that the only reason I am not getting the fullest from the game IL-2 is because of my deficiency in knowledge. I reallly want to be able to play I need help. I am just being thrown into the plane without any training. 1C was wrong when they thought everyone would know the BASICS. I feel pathetic writing this but I love WWII aviation and IL-2 is beyond that.

The series has gotten more elements of the real as it has changed and frankly for the price
1C could not include complete ground school as well.

Spins, stalls and just plain can't get any real speed are all piloting problems stemming from
ignorance of the basics. Who has time for all that ground school when they can be shooting,
right? Most every sim before, even the earlier versions of this one helped the player out
just keeping the plane flying straight, since 4.0 this one has gotten more difficult. Most
combat sims before IL2 have much simplified gunnery as well, you can get that with a toggle
that I don't know anyone who does.

How much do you understand about how planes fly? LOL, the more you do the better you will do!

Bookmark this site: John Denker's See How It Flies (http://www.av8n.com/how/)
and every so often go absorb something you didn't know before, in time you will iron out bad
habits and reap from it.

Biggies for you now are speed and that little ball in the upward-curved tube instrument, it's
called "The Ball" and you use it to tell you where to push the rudder -- if it's NOT in the
middle of the tube then your plane is pointing left or right of where it's going and the
second you hit stall you will spin. That condition is called Slip and it will throw your
aim off as well so take the time to learn and understand!

Take your time, you probably have a lot to learn. The payoff is that you will appreciate the
sim far more once you do.

GIAP.Shura
10-16-2007, 02:30 AM
First things first, you are definitely not the only one who has been in this position. What is good is that it seems like you have a fair amount of enthusiasm for the game and so long as this is channelled in the right direction it will keep you in good stead.

You need to understand what is in front of you and what your current skills are. Once you understand this you can set your expectations realistically and from there your enjoyment of the game will increase immensely.

A lot of people come to IL-2 with expectations, either from other games or what they have read about real wartime aces and are disappointed that they can't even turn their planes. WW2 aces received considerable training in their aircraft and the ones who did rack up impressive kill tallies were rare. People debate about how realistic IL-2 is but one thing for sure is that it is probably the air combat simulation on the market that pushes the modelling envelope the farthest. This means that not only do we need to learn how to find and shoot down our target, before that we need to learn how to fly our own aircraft.

Looking at this one might think that there is no point going on. The game is too hard, I suck, etc. I'm sure quite a few do. However, the other approach is to realise that in fact you have a game which is much more than you originally thought. Performing basic operations in the plane, including gentle turns and consistency in take-offs and landings, is an achievement in itself. Nobody makes films about the flight trainees' 6 months of basic training but you can be sure that for them the excitement that they felt was incredible. You have a long path ahead of you which, if broken down into manageable goals, can be incredibly satisfying.

Like the other posters above, I would recommend the IL-2 or the SBD-3 as a trainer plane. I agree strongly with Mojok's first three recommendations.

Bearcat99
10-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig for a start.

FlatSpinMan
10-16-2007, 07:38 AM
I definitely second downloading the campaign "Straight from the Farm". It is designed to simulate basic pilot training and is very well done. It will help you with take off, landing and so on.

It is a really hard game to play for a start but you're obviously interested so keep at it.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*Preserve your energy.* </span>If you have just taken off it WILL take a long time to climb to a height of a few thousand meters. You're not doing anything wrong it's just that the engines of WW2 are not like the engines of modern jets or sci-fi spaceships.

Think of it like you're riding a bike -Planes are just the same. When you are going up hill you have to pedal like a ba$tard to gain any ground (high engine power setting, climb at about 10 degrees). However, when you finally gain the top of the slope you find yourself on a level surface where you can ride much more smoothly and effortlessly (70% throttle or even less, nice and level, all trimmed out). And then you will hit the downhill slope where you are even able to freewheel and still pick up speed (throttle right down low or even at zero, if you set prop pitch to 60 or so you'll actually gain speed in the dive).

the same applies when you are trying to turn. I f you roll the wings to a vertical position and pull back hard you may turn harder but you will also:
-definitely lose a lot of energy (speed in this case)
-risk turning too tight and going into a stall. This often happens when your airspeed is too low. If you check my online name you will see that I have experienced this a lot.

Landing is a tricky thing no matter how you slice it. I still routinely screw it up. I'd suggest finding a plane with undercarriage that are set wide apart and/or are sturdy. I'd also recommend you avoid some of the older model planes as they have carburetors. This will cause the engine to skip a beat or cut out entirely if you push the nose down.
try the SBD-3 or 5. It's a pretty tame bird and is in fact the one used in ZeusCat's "straight from the Farm" campaign.

Stick with it - we'd hate to lose someone as interested in the field as you seem to be.

If you have any question just keep posting here or else Private Message someone - just click on a username and select the right option. We're a friendly bunch for the most part.

M_Gunz
10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*Preserve your energy.* </span>If you have just taken off it WILL take a long time to climb to a height of a few thousand meters.

For all but the slow planes:
Keep the nose down and stay low (100m or so above ground) till you hit at least 320kph then
don't climb any steeper than you can keep that kind of speed in and you'll be up there pretty
quick actually. Get a faster start and the zoom will get you 500+m in seconds.

For the slow planes: Try and keep 240-270 which sure it's best climb rate for Spits to FW's
but you hardly go anywhere BUT up while your flight leaves you far behind and leader cursing
you out!

Besides, you always want extra speed in the climb in case you have to maneuver or zoom a bit.

M_Gunz
10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Two more tips for skies-blade:

1) If you are slow and one wing starts to drop do not use side stick to get back level.
Use rudder opposite the wing that is dropping and if you have room below, get the nose down.

When you use side stick you are increasing the camber and angle of attack of the wing opposite
the side you moved the stick to and decreasing it on the other wing. Result is the wing that
you are trying to lift does get more lift but also more drag which pulls that wing back and
puts the plane in slip. If you are slow enough that wing will also stall with you in slip and
you will spin.

It's only counter-intuitive until you understand that control surfaces do not work by
deflecting the wind but actually change the curve and angle of incidence of the wing over
the length of the aileron. Ditto for elevator and rudder, those are wings in the back too
(only they push down) and for finish so are the prop blades also airfoils.

2) It is your wings that turn you. When you bank to turn you are tilting your lift to the
side which once lift and gravity cancel leaves a side force. The plane has to make more
lift than level flying then, enough to counter gravity and to turn the plane. You can pull
back on the stick up to where the wings just begin to stall and no more to get more lift
but after that only more speed will get you more lift (slowing down will screw you, watch
your speed throughout maneuvers) that you need.

A 2G level turn requires a 60 degree bank angle (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/performance/q0146.shtml) and at least 1.41 times the straight and level stall speed.

The harder you turn level, the more G's you turn with, the more lift you need to keep from
stalling (the accelerated stall because a turn is acceleration) and the easier it becomes to
spin and the harder the spin will be since it will begin with more energy.

Turn Performance:
OTOH if I turn while losing alt then I can get away with less speed for the start, losing alt
lowers the loading on the wings. You will make better turns if you drop the nose and sink
for the first half of the turn, even just 50-100 meters lower, and then recover after the
turn is established (the nose is coming around nicely) and you have more speed. Compare to
a nose-slightly high or level turn you will get a faster, harder turn with higher exit speed,
a much better and more professional maneuver as long as you are high enough to do it.
Oh, and you will be harder to predict/hit as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Xiolablu3
10-17-2007, 02:17 PM
WW2 planes are not high powered jets, think of your self in a powered glider - if you dont have enough energy for the climb you are trying to make, then the plane will stall.

In tight turns your plane will bleed off speed like crazy, and if you keep pulling you will stall.

Try and keep an eye on your speed in tight turns.

Try to start thinking in the vertical rather than the horizontal.

Try and preserve your 'energy' (this means height OR speed) DOnt get low and slow or you are a sitting duck and it takes a long time to build up speed and height again.

Speed+height = safetey and dominance. A plane below is in a dangerous position.

Try a plane which is good for newbs such as SPitfire IX/Bf109F4/G2/Zero/La5FN. These are less likely to stall.

Esel1964
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Whatever you do don't "feel pathetic",everyone(even real pilots) has to figure the sim out.
Be patient,read the forums-a wealth of knowledge from all over the world.

But,most of all,have fun while learning-otherwise you won't really absorb it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Don't get discouraged, and don't think this experience is unique to you. Everyone who started off with this game, regardless of previous pc flightsim experience, went through the same thing.

1)Look for a sticky on top of this forum by Bearcat99 called "A Nugget's Guide to Getting off the Ground". Check out the links contained in there.

2)Strive to make gentle, smooth movements with your joystick. Don't ham-fist it.

3)If you are having problems with gunnery, go into "quick mission" and set up a mission with your chosen plane against unarmed targets, preferably transports at first. Spend hours practicing on them. Record tracks, so you can go back in later and watch them from different angles and see where your rounds are actually going

5)Keep asking questions in this thread, everyone on these boards will help you out. This is an extremely n00b-friendly place.

EDIT: I also saw your thread about freezing problems. Did you work your way through all that? I mean, is the game running ok?

Ya I bought a GB of RAM and now it runs like heaven. OHHHH RAh

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:

How about a little information so we can help you better. Are you using a joystick? Is it a HOTAS or just the single stick with rudder and throttle control all in one?

Have you tried adjusting sensativities in the joystick control panel? (This is probably the biggest help to you because many including myself feel the stock joystick sentativities are too sensative, thus many stalls.)

This game can be very frustrating at the beginning. Don't be hard on yourself.

Take a stable airplane out for a ride. Something like the IL2 or the SBD Dauntless will allow you time to think and not over react trying to right yourself in case a stall.

As mentioned D/L 'At the Farm' mission pack.

No question is stupid, so don't be afraid to ask.

There are lots of good helpful folk here who want to see you succeed and get the same enjoyment we have for so long from IL2.

Thanks for the advice and the time. I am just a bit uneasy cause I really only get to play 1 hour and 30 mins a day *not alot* but I haven't even the slightest bit considered giving up don't worry

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by knightflyte:

OH and what does HOTAS mean?

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Above all, just do't get discouraged and don't be afraid to ask for help around here. As you can see, you got about nine replies in under an hour... this is by far the most helpful game forum I've ever come across.

Quick question what does PDF mean?? Is it the read me file?

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-18-2007, 04:37 PM
OH and what does HOTAS mean?

Hands On Throttle And Stick. A facny term for having a joystick and a seperate throttle cotrol with lot of buttons and stuff, keeps you from having to touch the keyboard and thus devote more attention to flying.

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skies_blade:

The series has gotten more elements of the real as it has changed and frankly for the price
1C could not include complete ground school as well.

Spins, stalls and just plain can't get any real speed are all piloting problems stemming from
ignorance of the basics. Who has time for all that ground school when they can be shooting,
right? Most every sim before, even the earlier versions of this one helped the player out
just keeping the plane flying straight, since 4.0 this one has gotten more difficult. Most
combat sims before IL2 have much simplified gunnery as well, you can get that with a toggle
that I don't know anyone who does.

How much do you understand about how planes fly? LOL, the more you do the better you will do!

Bookmark this site: John Denker's See How It Flies (http://www.av8n.com/how/)
and every so often go absorb something you didn't know before, in time you will iron out bad
habits and reap from it.

Biggies for you now are speed and that little ball in the upward-curved tube instrument, it's
called "The Ball" and you use it to tell you where to push the rudder -- if it's NOT in the
middle of the tube then your plane is pointing left or right of where it's going and the
second you hit stall you will spin. That condition is called Slip and it will throw your
aim off as well so take the time to learn and understand!

Take your time, you probably have a lot to learn. The payoff is that you will appreciate the
sim far more once you do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know all that stuff. Trust me I have probaly read over 100 books*100-800pgs each* about WWII aviation and just good old aviation. I now all the instruments and such too. Just the real think kind of smacked me in the face.

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
First things first, you are definitely not the only one who has been in this position. What is good is that it seems like you have a fair amount of enthusiasm for the game and so long as this is channelled in the right direction it will keep you in good stead.

You need to understand what is in front of you and what your current skills are. Once you understand this you can set your expectations realistically and from there your enjoyment of the game will increase immensely.

A lot of people come to IL-2 with expectations, either from other games or what they have read about real wartime aces and are disappointed that they can't even turn their planes. WW2 aces received considerable training in their aircraft and the ones who did rack up impressive kill tallies were rare. People debate about how realistic IL-2 is but one thing for sure is that it is probably the air combat simulation on the market that pushes the modelling envelope the farthest. This means that not only do we need to learn how to find and shoot down our target, before that we need to learn how to fly our own aircraft.

Looking at this one might think that there is no point going on. The game is too hard, I suck, etc. I'm sure quite a few do. However, the other approach is to realise that in fact you have a game which is much more than you originally thought. Performing basic operations in the plane, including gentle turns and consistency in take-offs and landings, is an achievement in itself. Nobody makes films about the flight trainees' 6 months of basic training but you can be sure that for them the excitement that they felt was incredible. You have a long path ahead of you which, if broken down into manageable goals, can be incredibly satisfying.

Like the other posters above, I would recommend the IL-2 or the SBD-3 as a trainer plane. I agree strongly with Mojok's first three recommendations.

Your right I thought of that earlier too. I thought wow even though I lose airspeed like an elephant the game has pinpoint realism that I hadn't seen before. I thought holy gosh how is it that this game keeps going beyond my words description every time I play.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll also second an earlier recommendation of www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com) , best thing for a new pilot, I was playing for years before I tool Il2 Basic Flight School and still learned a ton of stuff.

-HH-Quazi
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I'll also second an earlier recommendation of www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com) , best thing for a new pilot, I was playing for years before I tool Il2 Basic Flight School and still learned a ton of stuff. If you still need some help after all the great advice already shared here, I do second Urufu's advice on Joint Ops. Basic Flight School (BFS) is geared towards the the player that has just purchased the sim and has never played it before. Seriously consider this. I am an instructor for BFS at Joint Ops & there are many m8s here that participate regularly. Not only will you learn the basics, you will also meet some of the nicest m8s the world over. JO has a European BFS class also.

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I know about all the principles of flight. If you wanted to know I do fly model airplanes with my Dad. I know what I'm doing just not how to do it. If you know what I mean.

skies_blade
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OH and what does HOTAS mean?

Hands On Throttle And Stick. A facny term for having a joystick and a seperate throttle cotrol with lot of buttons and stuff, keeps you from having to touch the keyboard and thus devote more attention to flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I've seen those in the store before. Oh my Gosh that'd be quite the Christmans gift huh. So thats what HOTAS means well I shall hope to get one soon, but I'm quite content with my Saitek Aviator

Zeus-cat
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I am the guy who created "Straight From the Farm". It was specifically designed for the noobiest noob in Noobville, Noobslyvannia; and
anyone else who wants to work on their takeoffs and landings.

The campaign steps you through how to take off from a grass runway in an SBD-3 with no bomb and a small fuel load. You then takeoff with a small bomb. In your third mission you takeoff in a fully loaded SBD-3. You then move on to landing on the grass runway. After that you move on to a carrier for several takeoffs and finally several landings. Finally, you move on to the small escort carriers for takeoffs and landings.

I also provide advice on what keys need to be mapped to accomplish each mission. All of the missions are available as single player missions in case you want to fly any of them again later. I cloned the carrier takeoff and landing missions and substituted other American and Japanese aircraft.

Even if you never play the campaign, the cloned takeoff and landing missions are worth the download.

Loco-S
10-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, there is alot of help around here, I flew real planes for about 11 years before IL-2, my first try was a smack down on my ego, took me nearly a month to get to figure out most of the stuff in game, even how to "shoot down" another plane, all the fun and games like SWOTL, CFS1, Red baron, etc are arcade stuff compared with the learning curve required to be decent ( and by no means I mean "good"...I say "decent" because very few here are as good as they want to be), get to read a little about real life flying, you will be surprised on how much stuff is out there that you dont know,( Im always learning, and at this rate Im forgetting most of the stuff I once thought I knew..he he), take it easy, set yourself some goals, and step by step do what you want to do, no pressure, this sim is fun, and after 5 years of playing , I always find something new that blows me away.... wings, fuselage and the works with me still strapped in the cockpit..he he)

here are some good reading stuff that will show you the basics of flying:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/handbook/

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Libra...3/$FILE/AC61-67C.pdf

skies_blade
10-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I am the guy who created "Straight From the Farm". It was specifically designed for the noobiest noob in Noobville, Noobslyvannia; and
anyone else who wants to work on their takeoffs and landings.
Even if you never play the campaign, the cloned takeoff and landing missions are worth the download.

Oh wow thanks for posting, but anyways I downloaded "Straight from the Farm" and I have it installed. But then what? I went to documents and there is just some files in an unzipped folder. I know I don't have it on IL-2 and I'm not sure how to get it on there.

Zeus-cat
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
The campaign will be accesible by doing the following after you have loaded it (see loading instructions below).

1) Start the game
2) Select Pilot Career
3) Select New
4) Select USN in the Air Force menu
5) Look for "Straight From the Farm" under the Career menu
6) Read the description
7) Click on the Difficulty settings and set the difficulty options as recommended in the description
8) Select Start
9) Read the briefing and give the first mission a try. The briefings are also provided in a Notepad file and a Word file so that you can print them out if you want to refer to them while you are in the mission.
10) Once you have completed the mission hit Escape.

This is in the readme file.

1) Compatibility
This campaign was developed using a Pacific Fighters 4.01 installation and will work with any version of Pacific Fighters after 4.01 and all versions of the merged game including all versions of IL-2 1946.

2) Installing the campaign and practice missions
Install the "Straight_From_the_Farm" folder into your Missions\Campaign\UN folder (do NOT extract the individual missions - put the entire "Straight_From_the_Farm" folder in this location).
Install the Practice folder in your Missions\Single\UN folder

3) Practice Missions
The practice folder contains all 19 missions from the campaign. It also has 27 additional missions consisting of 14 practice landing missions for the A6M5, Corsair, D3A1, F4F, F6F, FM-2, Ki-43-Ic, SBD-3 and the Seafire; and 13 takeoff missions for the same aircraft.

4) Straight From the Farm Campaign
The campaign is all about learning how to master takeoffs, landings and basic flight functions for several of the planes in the Pacific Fighters and IL-2 1946 simulation.

The missions start off with very easy objectives and then progress to more complicated ones. Most of the missions cover one basic concept and are very short in length. The later missions are somewhat more complicated as they piece together things you have learned in the earlier missions.

The campaign assumes you are a typical pilot recruit of World War II and are straight off the farm and have little knowledge of flying. I include tips and advice as I step you through each mission. The tips are based on the way I "fly" and may not necessarily be the best way to do things. The intent is to get you started enjoying this sim.

The missions are in a campaign format as I think it will help you feel you are making progress as you go from one mission to the next. The campaign format also allows you to replay the current mission if you feel you did not perform it well. As in all IL-2 missions, hit Esc (escape) to exit the mission. If you wish to advance, select Apply. If you wish to repeat the mission, select Refly.

All the missions, as well as other training missions, are included in a separate folder if you care to fly them at any time as single missions for extra practice.

The first 16 missions use the SBD-3, which is a US Navy dive-bomber. It is very easy to fly compared to the high performance fighters that are in the game. Following those missions are three missions in the F4F-4 "Wildcat".

Mission #01 Takeoff Practice #1
Mission #02 Takeoff Practice #2
Mission #03 Takeoff Practice #3

Mission #04 Landing Practice #1
Mission #05 Landing Practice #2

Mission #06 Simulated Carrier Landing
Mission #07 Simulated Carrier Takeoff and Landing

Mission #08 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff
Mission #09 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff with 3 x 250-pound bombs
Mission #10 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff with 1 x 1600-pound bomb

Mission #11 Lexington Class Carrier Landing
Mission #12 Lexington Class Carrier Approach and Landing

Mission #13 Escort Carrier Takeoff
Mission #14 Escort Carrier Takeoff with 3 x 250-pound bombs

Mission #15 Escort Carrier Landing
Mission #16 Escort Carrier Approach and Landing

Mission #17 F4F Takeoff and Landing
Mission #18 F4F Takeoff and Landing on Escort Carrier
Mission #19 F4F Dead Reckoning

5) About the Author
My call sign is Zeus-cat and I am a member of the Hell Hounds squadron. In addition to this campaign, I have released 5 other campaigns.

Campaigns for Forgotten Battles and IL-2 1946
Straight and True: A torpedo bomber campaign using the Russian IL-2T
Straight Down: A dive-bomber campaign using the US Navy SBD-3
Straight Down Some More: A sequel to Straight Down using the SBD-3
Straight Shot: A campaign for the Japanese seaplane A6M2-N "Rufe"
Straight Into an Icy Hell: A sequel to Straight Shot using the A6M2-N "Rufe"

Campaigns for stand-alone Pacific Fighters
Straight Down: A dive-bomber campaign using the US Navy SBD-3
Straight Shot: A campaign for the Japanese seaplane A6M2-N "Rufe"

skies_blade
10-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Oh ok... of course it was my faulty. Thanks

Zeus-cat
10-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Let me know if you get it working and if it helps.

MrMojok
10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by skies_blade:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrMojok:

Quick question what does PDF mean?? Is it the read me file? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a .PDF file is an Adobe Acrobat file. I believe the manual on the cd is in .PDF file.