PDA

View Full Version : Speed

BM357_TinMan
02-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Ok, what's the trick???

How do you get maximum airspeed in this sim? I've been flying this for awhile and have never figured out what some people have.

Why is it that if you are flying in formation and fall a little behind, you actually have to throttle DOWN to catch up?

for instance, the lead plane keeps creeping more and more ahead and you get on t/s and are like, "hey man, what's your throttle setting, I can't seem to catch you?" and he comes back, "i'm at about 78%" and you're thinking, wth, i'm at 100+%, why can't i catch him. Pull the throttle BACK and you start to catch up...

I don't get it...

Do any of you aces out there have any wisdom to impart to me to better manage airspeed so that in q/c I don't get out run by a g2 when I'm flyin a 51b?....I don't get it....

I've done all radiator position, and trim thing, but I think it has more to do with cem than anything and I'm not getting it. It is most frustrating.

Thanks

BM357_TinMan
02-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Ok, what's the trick???

How do you get maximum airspeed in this sim? I've been flying this for awhile and have never figured out what some people have.

Why is it that if you are flying in formation and fall a little behind, you actually have to throttle DOWN to catch up?

for instance, the lead plane keeps creeping more and more ahead and you get on t/s and are like, "hey man, what's your throttle setting, I can't seem to catch you?" and he comes back, "i'm at about 78%" and you're thinking, wth, i'm at 100+%, why can't i catch him. Pull the throttle BACK and you start to catch up...

I don't get it...

Do any of you aces out there have any wisdom to impart to me to better manage airspeed so that in q/c I don't get out run by a g2 when I'm flyin a 51b?....I don't get it....

I've done all radiator position, and trim thing, but I think it has more to do with cem than anything and I'm not getting it. It is most frustrating.

Thanks

vocatx
02-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Try adjusting your prop pitch. If you learn all the ends and outs of your favorite planes, you will find certain engine settings that give you better climb, speed, or fuel economy. Not all settings will be the same in every aircraft. I usually experiment in the QMB when I'm trying to figure the specifics of different aircraft.

I've been flying a lot of long co-op missions the last few months. I learned how to manage my engine in the P-40 to the point that I could go through a very intense air to air engagement lasting many minutes and rarely, if ever, overheat the engine. Before, I couldn't climb to altitude without overheating. I also learned how to get more than two hours, or 800 km, out of a Spit Vb. It takes a little time, but if you are willing to experiment a little, it will pay off.

Akronnick
02-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Ok, this is a bad precedent, but I am going to compare flying a plane to driving a car.

Imagine you are driving a 1963 VW Beetle with a 3-speed manual transmission. The light turns green and you put the pedal to the metal, but you don't shift, how fast do you think you'd be going when the engine overheated?

In a plane, you don't have a 3-, 4-, or 5-speed transmission. In fact you have infinite control over the entire range of available rpm.

Until very recently, I was under the impression that when you are using 100% throttle, you should be using 100% rpm. A few days ago, I was trying to see how fast I could go in a P-51B, I tried reducing rpm to 75% as speed increased. using this technique in other planes since then has made a huge difference.

F19_Ob
02-18-2006, 05:30 AM
My explanation is somewhat simpler but well worth exploring a bit.

Imagine u fly the same plane as your flight and they go full power and u are somewhat behind but at full power. In this scenario u shouldnt be able to cath up with them because u simply cant go faster.

Now imagine they had somewhat higher speed to start with because u were climbing towards them, although at a very shallow angle.
They will accellerate away because they fly level and u lagg behind simply because u have just about, or not yet reached the level maximum yet.
In this scenario only a few seconds are enough to leave u far behind and even if they reduce speed for a while their speed still will be so high that it takes ages to catch up.

There are many more scenarios with slight differences in altitude and angle and climb and dive to add but I think the above illustrates it fairly well.

It's the groupleaders responsibility to let straglers catch up and the most effective way is to throttle idle for a while to make the time as short as possible for the group to become whole.

Using manual proppitch may give a bit faster top level speed in a few planes but this above is what matters most, but what few take into account.

well, my opinion. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

danjama
02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
I only get 340mph max out of the 25+boost spit, is this correct?

Thats at sea level, rudder/elevator trimmed, max throttle and boost on...

BM357_TinMan
02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
I thought that it might have something to do with prop pitch.

However, none these posts explain why two a plane, flying level at full throttle and full prop pitch, can't catch another plane, flying level, at 7x% and full prop pitch

jimDG
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
The only thing I can think of is that at 100% power the torque is giving you quite a slip sideways, i.e. you were flying sideways which gives you more air resistance. Were you centered with rudder/trimed properly? (ball above center of crosshair, at 100% power)?
You do say that you were, so its really a mistery..
Or maybe the speed if higher with no trim? (control surfaces slightly out of center giving more resistance than a slightly sidways flying aircraft? makes no sense though)
Or maybe you had 100% fuel and the other guy had 25% fuel?
Or maybe you were at supercharger stage 1, and he was at stage 2?