PDA

View Full Version : Some issues in DF servers that need attention.

VFS-22_SPaRX
11-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I guess while i am in a posting mood, I might as well open this up for discussion. There are four issues I have been seeing ALOT lately on the servers and they need to be addressed.

1. Down right disrespectful comments made from one player to another. We are adults, let's act like it. I see on player calling another player a moron, idiot, stupid, and the list goes on. I personally have no tolerance for this. So how about we all just get along.

2. Filling the gamechat with complaints about the server they are playing on or the FMs and DMs of IL2. Guys, that is what forums are for. Game chat requires cpu cycles and bw. Two things that you do not want to waste. Then when two players are trying to communicate about the attack run they are on, they cannot because there is 100's of lines about how the Ki84 is uber scrolling by. This is not fair to these guys. So lets keep this stuff where it belongs.

3. Team balance. WOW. I do not even know where to start on this one. Seems like everytime i get on the server, its 10 axis vs 22 allied. Come on guys, this is no fun for anyone. Now you have 22 guys trying to find 10 and those 10 guys are trying their best to hide and not be found. Or my favorite, 6 axis vs 24 allieds and 15 allieds are pounding the hell out of the axis airbase. How about a little fair play guys. I know i allow base attacking on my servers, but use a little common sense here. The reason this concerns me so is because if this continues, people will start to stay away. Why go onto a server to fly axis planes if you are always outnumberd 1 to 4.

So now when i get on ther servers, and i start telling people to even up i get these replys. "I can't fly axis planes." "Our Squad does not fly axis planes". And the list goes on. Well all i have to say to this is, "Learn some flexibilty". I am a P51 Jock. Lovem. Loved the P51 since i learned what an airplane was. But i am lucky if i get to fly that plane a 25% of the time i am on the server because I fly axis to keep the teams even. Seems fair huh? I put in all the time and dedication so i have somewhere to fly my favorit plane, and i dont get to. So when you give me these excuses, i really do not feel they are justified.

4. Last but not least, and this is the one that is really got me angry. People holding spots on the servers. Its time for them to eat dinner, so they bail out and just leave their client connected. Hell, they might be gone or an hour, but they are on the server taking up a spot and not using it. Or they need to run down to the store, so they think " i took me 15 minutes to get connected i just stay connected while i am gone." Nope. This is just down right childish. Nothing erks me more then spending 15 minutes trying to get on my OWN server to find 4 people that are not even flying. Their nicks in the player lists are white because they have never selected a plane. Well, i am done with this one. If i find players continuing to do this, i am going to start banning.

Well, i hope you all can understand my concerns here. Its in the hands of the players whether a server survives or not. I can put of the fastest/strongest server in the world, but it wont be successful without players. So take a little pride in how you play on public servers.

S~

SPaRX
www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

VFS-22_SPaRX
11-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I guess while i am in a posting mood, I might as well open this up for discussion. There are four issues I have been seeing ALOT lately on the servers and they need to be addressed.

1. Down right disrespectful comments made from one player to another. We are adults, let's act like it. I see on player calling another player a moron, idiot, stupid, and the list goes on. I personally have no tolerance for this. So how about we all just get along.

2. Filling the gamechat with complaints about the server they are playing on or the FMs and DMs of IL2. Guys, that is what forums are for. Game chat requires cpu cycles and bw. Two things that you do not want to waste. Then when two players are trying to communicate about the attack run they are on, they cannot because there is 100's of lines about how the Ki84 is uber scrolling by. This is not fair to these guys. So lets keep this stuff where it belongs.

3. Team balance. WOW. I do not even know where to start on this one. Seems like everytime i get on the server, its 10 axis vs 22 allied. Come on guys, this is no fun for anyone. Now you have 22 guys trying to find 10 and those 10 guys are trying their best to hide and not be found. Or my favorite, 6 axis vs 24 allieds and 15 allieds are pounding the hell out of the axis airbase. How about a little fair play guys. I know i allow base attacking on my servers, but use a little common sense here. The reason this concerns me so is because if this continues, people will start to stay away. Why go onto a server to fly axis planes if you are always outnumberd 1 to 4.

So now when i get on ther servers, and i start telling people to even up i get these replys. "I can't fly axis planes." "Our Squad does not fly axis planes". And the list goes on. Well all i have to say to this is, "Learn some flexibilty". I am a P51 Jock. Lovem. Loved the P51 since i learned what an airplane was. But i am lucky if i get to fly that plane a 25% of the time i am on the server because I fly axis to keep the teams even. Seems fair huh? I put in all the time and dedication so i have somewhere to fly my favorit plane, and i dont get to. So when you give me these excuses, i really do not feel they are justified.

4. Last but not least, and this is the one that is really got me angry. People holding spots on the servers. Its time for them to eat dinner, so they bail out and just leave their client connected. Hell, they might be gone or an hour, but they are on the server taking up a spot and not using it. Or they need to run down to the store, so they think " i took me 15 minutes to get connected i just stay connected while i am gone." Nope. This is just down right childish. Nothing erks me more then spending 15 minutes trying to get on my OWN server to find 4 people that are not even flying. Their nicks in the player lists are white because they have never selected a plane. Well, i am done with this one. If i find players continuing to do this, i am going to start banning.

Well, i hope you all can understand my concerns here. Its in the hands of the players whether a server survives or not. I can put of the fastest/strongest server in the world, but it wont be successful without players. So take a little pride in how you play on public servers.

S~

SPaRX
www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

muHamad-ALi
11-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Banem all and let God sortem out!

Osirisx9
11-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Used to see this stuff all the time. War-Clouds is the most popular server on HL right now and is full 24/7 and no one cares enough to post a reply to a serious and true observasion made by the host himself. The same guys who are not contributing anything are the same individuals who are making all of the complaints about the server and planesets or the servers performance as if they can do a better job running a server themselves. They have no idea at all about how to run a server or how much time or energy it consumes. If they did know, they wouldn't complain as much. Come on guys show some respect. It is seriously lacking in DF rooms right now. It sure would be nice if the Dedicated server could host co-opps. I've vistited a few lately and and it is a totally different sceen.

Salute
RAF238thOsiris

RAF238thOsiris

hobnail
11-14-2004, 03:31 PM
I don€t mind the imbalance sometimes Sparx. Plenty of overconfident and unobservant Corsairs to bounce.

Best I€ve seen is 7 v 24 Japanese/Allied, though up to half of the Allied armada consisted of Beaufighters and Havocs.

Chuck_Older
11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Sticky please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SkyChimp's "post WWII pacific links" thread was for pre-PF release days. It's a good thread, but unsticky it and put this in it's place

Cannon68
11-14-2004, 04:58 PM
bump! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Troll2k
11-14-2004, 07:55 PM
I think maybe there should be a timeout/kick setting for planes just sitting on a tarmac with no one home.

Maybe giving someone you trust admin rights to kick to help you monitor a server.

NervousEnergy
11-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Well said. The team balance thing can be a bit frustrating at times, but for me it's not so bad... I pretty much exclusively play IJN. I would like to learn a few of the Allied planes as the opportunity presents itself, but there's nothing like splattering all the Corsairs and Hellcats that try and get down low and turn 'n burn with you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It seems there should be a simple solution to the balance thing if it gets totally out of hand. In the old Quake CTF days, most servers forced team balancing for joining players. This would be a welcome addition, perhaps, to PF. In the meantime, it's just a target rich environment for us on Axis. It's odd, too... I can understand it more in Europe, where the German planes arguably require a bit more skill to fly than a spit or P-47, but the KI-84 (yes, even the B model) is a dream to fly and very, very deadly.

Perhaps if the team balance gets too out of hand, you can have the server scripted to give us the C model '84 until it rights itself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Great server. I have no idea how to create missions, so I will continue with monetary support instead.

rummyrum
11-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I knew team balance would be an issue when I saw the overwhelming ammount of Allied squads registering themselves. Come on folks step outside the box every once and a while you might just enjoy yourself and learn a little about the abilities of the other sides aircraft. I think if more folks did this we would see alot less of the word "uber".