PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bombing ?

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 10:31 AM
I see that we have the B-25, B-26, B-24, A-20, Catalina and Beaufighter all on the way. All of these aircraft saw service in the SW Pacific Theater of Opersations during WW2. All of these aircraft used the tactic of "skip bombing" to attack shipping.

I would love to recreate the Battle of the Bismark Sea along with the campaign's for New Guinea and Rabaul. We've already got almost all the fighters that were used in the SWPA. We have the P-39 and P-40 with the P-38J (I know it should be an F model), Tony and Zero arriving shortly.

Add in the G4M Betty and you've got almost the whole planeset for the SWPA

Goin up against the Zeke in a Kittyhawk(shudder!!)

My Question for the Devs:
Would it be possible to implement skip bombing with FB's physics engine?

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 10:31 AM
I see that we have the B-25, B-26, B-24, A-20, Catalina and Beaufighter all on the way. All of these aircraft saw service in the SW Pacific Theater of Opersations during WW2. All of these aircraft used the tactic of "skip bombing" to attack shipping.

I would love to recreate the Battle of the Bismark Sea along with the campaign's for New Guinea and Rabaul. We've already got almost all the fighters that were used in the SWPA. We have the P-39 and P-40 with the P-38J (I know it should be an F model), Tony and Zero arriving shortly.

Add in the G4M Betty and you've got almost the whole planeset for the SWPA

Goin up against the Zeke in a Kittyhawk(shudder!!)

My Question for the Devs:
Would it be possible to implement skip bombing with FB's physics engine?

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:15 AM
I skip bomb all the time, set bomb delay to zero and stick eyer head between yer legs and kiss yer butt goodbye. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
But I have gotten completely gotten of the subject, you want the AI to do it on their own. Or follow your example of target interogation...

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Yes, the skipping part is possible. Unfortunately the time delays don't work on water. Trying to skip-bomb ships at mast-top level in a twin-engine bomber is going to be very difficult with zero delay.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 08:16 PM
A.K.Davis wrote:
- Yes, the skipping part is possible. Unfortunately
- the time delays don't work on water. Trying to
- skip-bomb ships at mast-top level in a twin-engine
- bomber is going to be very difficult with zero
- delay.

Hmmm, I wonder if a small delay will work, say 0.5 sec? Think I shall have to go and try now.

Kernow
249 IAP

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 08:52 PM
nope, not even if you hit the ship directly.

--AKD

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 12:39 AM
skip bombing works now.
5 sec delay drop bombs 20-50 ft AGL bomb will bounce .
I have tried it on bridges,.Bomb bounces under bridge and even if it explodes well past the bridge the bridge still falls.
I suspect the code assumes the bridge is a solid object like a Ship and applies the explosive damage to what it passes through.
I would like to hear if it works on ships as using it on bridges is un-realistic and is a BUG in in the game.

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 01:22 AM
Delays don't work on ships. From memory you have to be below 100m to skip bomb. In order to avoid bomb blast drop from just under 100m and a reasonable distance out then climb and turn in a REAL hurry. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 02:29 AM
Even a 0.00001 second delay does not work. It must be 0 delay.

FW-190 is good for skip bombing, cuz you can pull up quickly. With other planes I trim tail heavy during the approach, so that the pull out is easier.

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 02:32 AM
DGC767 wrote:
- Delays don't work on ships. From memory you have to
- be below 100m to skip bomb. In order to avoid bomb
- blast drop from just under 100m and a reasonable
- distance out then climb and turn in a REAL hurry.
- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
-

Which you can only do in a fast single-engine, and which historically would get you killed real quick. Frankly, it will get you killed in the game, too, if there is realistic AAA fire around, but people do it anyways since they can just hit refly.

What's the point of coming in fast at low-level if you pull up and hang in the air right over the target? Can you say "shoot me, please"?

--AKD

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Maybe the ship models need an invisible shelf or base under the bottoms? Or maybe the bombs cease to exist under the water and become an effect only? I am sure that MG can work it out!

Neal

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 05:11 PM
I have gotton pretty good at skip bombing ships.

One you need to set bomb delay to 0.

Two, you need to be fast, like 480kmp atleast. But the faster the better. Also the faster you are the sooner you can drop your bombs.

Three, set up your target by lining up with it so your facing it from the side.

Four, dive down to the deck, level out at no higher then 50m alt. If your dont level out or if your not level when you drop your bomb, it will skip over the ship.

I usauly use the P-47D27 with two 500lb bombs to skip bomb with. It takes practice. If you find that your blowing your self up then it may be that your not pulling up fast enough or your dropping the bombs to late.

Skip bombing= bomb skipping on the water before it comes in contact with the target=Ship. Not dropping the bomb on the ship.