PDA

View Full Version : Macchi 205

mynameisroland
10-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Where is the Macchis best performance envelope? When fighting P51 B, P38 J or Spitfire IXc what are the Macchis strong points? I fly the Fw 190 A5 in this era and feel very comfortable against these opposition knowing what I can and cant get away with.

But every time I take the Mc 205 out for a spin I am useless. Even applying Bf 109 tactics I find the Macchi useless.

Any good Macchi pilots want to share their secrets?

Daiichidoku
10-09-2006, 09:02 AM
there a 20 page thread in ORR concerning its FM/DM

lack of roll, crappy spin stall, ceramic DB engine...

just fly it like it a mutant 190 or P 47;

use a LOT of forethought...dives are limited to around 750 kph...accel is great tho....also its E renention for zoom climbs is nice....its sustained climb is excellent, too...provided you keep a head of steam up at alt, she plays very nice at 7ooom+, np...take 75% fuel at least, always http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...prop can be feathered...but watch out! deccerating with stopped eninge or feathered prop through the 500kph range will cause a ghey uncontrollable "torque flip" some times

Veltro for game is mangled...but is still dangerous in the right hands...one of the best "sleepers" in a 43 planeset...beatiful cockpit...and the "cool" factor of being seen in one is way up there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

JtD
10-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Fly it like a G-6Late and be surprised about some extra firepower, high speed control and performance. You may also be surprised by it's somewhat low dive limit.

It can easily dogfight the P-51B and the P-38J but is slower. Interesting match.

The Spit IX in general is somewhat superior when it comes to climb and turn, so don't mix it for too long. Wait for the Fw to come along and take care of the Spit.

flakwagen
10-09-2006, 09:28 AM
It is great for harassing early Yaks and Laggs. They can outturn a 205 at high speeds, but they are left in the dust when it is time to climb. The relatively light guns mean you have to get in CLOSE to make a one-pass kill of anything.

Flak

p-11.cAce
10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
The key thing I've found is to really focus on keeping it coordinated - it will not tolerate being hamfisted around the sky. Keep the ball centered ALWAYS and your e up and it will reward you with great performance, but get sloppy and it will bleed e quickly; get sloppy at low speeds and it will snap off into a spin.

tigertalon
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Like JtD pointed out, you can mix it up with P51/47/38 fairly confidently in a 109 style, but with gentler turning, employing flaps. You can easily outclimb them (maybe not the P38). Don't engage in high speed rolling dogfight - controls (roll in particular) lock up. If they dive, don't try to dive with them (202/5 has a low divelimit), instead wait for them to return and climb in the meantime or find another target. And whenever having a second or two available, CLIMB.

Versus spits (VIII/IX) your only chances are when having alt advantage. If not, your survival chances are diminishing rapidly. He is able to do everything you can, and do it better most of the times. Planes are on par nicely throuhg entire altitude band (apart from extremely high altitudes where spit dominates) in regards of speed, sustained climb, zoom climb. Other than that he will out-E-retain you, outturn you, outroll you (especially in a clipped version), outmaneouver you at high speeds). A strict BnZ (combined with DnB if possible) and keeping E considerably higher is the only option versus spit.

Another drawback of this plane is it's vulnerability. It has crystal engine and damage anywhere else will result in dramatic loss of performance and uncontrolability.

Its alt performance is good, being comparable with 109, reaching it's peak at about 7k.

Russian planes of '43 should be no problem, given you don't fly below 4k (which you shouldn't in any plane on russian front anyway).

Yes, it's a very challenging plane for '43, my fav in this year. And the digital ammocounters, ammocount (275 shells per cannon) and sliding fuel gauge are cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

JtD
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
WRT to Macchi DM, the other day I put 40 .50 hits into one and killed the pilot. If not for this, it would have been able to rtb.

It has it's weak points, but also it's trong points.

tigertalon
10-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JtD:
WRT to Macchi DM, the other day I put 40 .50 hits into one and killed the pilot. If not for this, it would have been able to rtb.

Well, that's debatable. Maybe he would be able to fly/limp back to base, but landing would have been a nightmare, as the plane really looses it's controlability, especially at slow speeds, if wings are damaged. It's even worse than 190 winghit bug a few patches ago IMO.

thefruitbat
10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
randomly i took it up for a spin for the first time today. In general i quite liked it, apart from the complete lack of a rear view.

Unfortunatley, I just dont bother flying aircraft that i cant see anything behind anymore.

Its a shame, because i dont fly the tempest and corsair anymore for the same reason. Roll on 6dof.

fruitbat

JtD
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by tigertalon:

Well, that's debatable. Maybe he would be able to fly/limp back to base, but landing would have been a nightmare, as the plane really looses it's controlability, especially at slow speeds, if wings are damaged. It's even worse than 190 winghit bug a few patches ago IMO.

I hit the fuselage mostly. Aimed for the engine. Got a fuel leak.

F19_Ob
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
First time I flew the later macchis I got the same feeling as when I flew the 109 in the early days of the sim; Difficult and unforgiving, as I pictured a real fighter to be.
I don't know about you but Most fm's seem to easy to me. Anyone is a Marseille in the 109 it seems.

Comparing the 109's and fw190 of todays sim the 205 is more demanding in most respects.
Actually the macchi 205 isn't even close to the 109 in maneuverability or slowspeedhandling or climb.
If the macchi could roll like a fw190 it would be better because it turns a bit better, but it's poorer roll makes me feel safer in the fw190.
Although M has two cannons it can't be compared with the punch of the fw190 either.

In my opinion the p38L and Mc205 would be fairly equal.
The p38 can't get away from a 109 in maneuvering but with the speedbrake it should just barely get away from the Mc205.

Best tactics against spits would be diving passes in high speed and preferably dive down below its tail and make the firing pass on the way up, and keep going.
This way you might have a chance for a second pass and/or escape.

Perhaps the biggest downside in all macchis is the poor visibility to the rear. Unfortunately the mirrors are wrongly angled so one can only see an enemy behind if it comes from above and behind but not if its directly behind.
However one may see portions to the rear in the mirror by rolling so one wing points up and then go in a lazy turn.

Usually only experts on energy fighting can handle the macchi online, hence the scarse use of it.
However I've seen it flown somewhat successfully by 3-5 players on coms.
This way they use the old tactic of sending down one or a couple to attack planes with BnZ passes, and if they in turn get chased they climb up to safety while another friendly takes on the bandit on his tail.

As a lone fighter it's not so good against most late allied planes.
Suggested 'more' equal opponents could be P38, p39, p40, Hellcat(although it turns better), P47, corsair.

Ofcourse even these planes may be dangerous if one don't know their specs versus the macchi.
Later spitfires are simply too good to engage unless U are very familiar with energy-fighting
and have a good SA.
Practising the best evasive moves can be a good thing.
The fastest evasive move in a Mc205 is to push stick hard forward when tracers go by.
When I can't hear or see the enemy I push until I point straight down before I start rolling to change direction. I do this because if the enemy is at medium distance he easily will correct his aim if I only push a little (wich I see many do online).

The two main reasons why I think the macchi is more difficult to use than the fw190 is the poor visibility to the rear and the slow rollrate.
Macchi isn't a 'stay and turn plane' and the poor rollrate at high speed makes it difficult to use as a BnZ fighter aswell.

Well my opinion.

WWMaxGunz
10-09-2006, 02:57 PM
The mirror is probably just at the right angle to spot someone coming up behind you in a
turn before they get in guns range. But it sounds about right also for seeing someone
zooming down to put he boom on you.

You can think "bloody useless thing" or you can think "now just what's this for?".

F19_Ob
10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
The mirror is probably just at the right angle to spot someone coming up behind you in a
turn before they get in guns range. But it sounds about right also for seeing someone
zooming down to put he boom on you.

You can think "bloody useless thing" or you can think "now just what's this for?".

You're right, although the mirror only can see behind-above it's better than nothing, since the pilot almost is blind to the rear sides, sitting so close to the seat.
The mirror works best, as described, in a turn, or roll but that view is far from enough.
If one can see wings in the mirror, it's usually too late. Too close.
There however is a quite good view to the rear in a descending turn, almost upside down. Perhaps the best view rearward possible in the Mc205.
One may lose a bit altitude doing such turns often but it's much better than relying on the mirror only.
Ofcourse climbing turns can be done aswell, but care must be taken though because one lose a bit too much speed doing so if to get an ok view.

My experience is that most do poorly in Mc205 online, if the opponent is spitfire or comparable.
I also noticed that it burns easily when shot with 50cals.
Don't think the 109 with same engine burns like that.

It sure would be fun to see the Macchi-series more often online, but when available alongside the 109 it's very rare to see anyone flying it. It's wierd to be the only guy flying from a Macchi-field when there's 15 or more on the 109-field. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Even very experienced 'luft-only' guy's discard Macchi if they can take the 109 instead.

269GA-Veltro
10-10-2006, 02:15 AM
We changed many things by your request, but not all.

Oleg_Maddox

I quote an Oleg's PM about Macchis in 4.06. We don't know what's has been changed, so we have to wait for the DVD release.

tigertalon
10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by 269GA-Veltro:
We changed many things by your request, but not all.

Oleg_Maddox

I quote an Oleg's PM about Macchis in 4.06. We don't know what's has been changed, so we have to wait for the DVD release.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/aegeeaddict/Smileys/jupi.gif

That made my day!