PDA

View Full Version : You Want Better Planes...I Want Better Sound!

RWetterholt
12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Hello all...

Ok people. We all want brand new P-47's and brand new Corsair's and Kates and Avengers and early war this and late war that. I want a Hellcat parked in my backyard right now. Haha... Let me put some of this to rest right away. What we all need is a conclusive patch that fixes online play and cements a new type of play over the net (which 3.02b has already started towards). We need a patch that fixes stutters in the game DGEN and in other aspects which are too numnerous to name here. This should be step one.

Step two, I believe...should not be newer aircraft. I find it rather funny that you all are getting all spooled up over possible additions to the game which may or may not be shot down by lawyers in a court of law. Which brings me to my next point. We need better sound. Where has the sound gone? All the graphics work and additions have been nice...but with the voraciousness that you all pursue new aircraft...I would think that accurate sound would be a point of interest for all you people worried with accuracy and realism. I cannot help but notice that P-51's sound like walk behind lawn mowers and Hellcat's and Corsair's sound like riding lawn mowers and 109's (if you get them going fast enough...sound like weed whackers). My dad (former F-14 Tomcat Demo/"Cat Flight Pilot") walks in when I am playing PF and says (as I am flying the Hellcat) sounds like you got yourself a souped up lawnmower there. Where is the sound? I do not hear any Merlins or Pratt and Whitney radial engines on my copy of IL-2. And last time I checked...none of these companies are going legal about using the sounds on a game (in repsonse to the companies that are lobbying against using aircraft data in flight simulations). We need better sounds. Just my two cents.

RWetterholt
12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Hello all...

Ok people. We all want brand new P-47's and brand new Corsair's and Kates and Avengers and early war this and late war that. I want a Hellcat parked in my backyard right now. Haha... Let me put some of this to rest right away. What we all need is a conclusive patch that fixes online play and cements a new type of play over the net (which 3.02b has already started towards). We need a patch that fixes stutters in the game DGEN and in other aspects which are too numnerous to name here. This should be step one.

Step two, I believe...should not be newer aircraft. I find it rather funny that you all are getting all spooled up over possible additions to the game which may or may not be shot down by lawyers in a court of law. Which brings me to my next point. We need better sound. Where has the sound gone? All the graphics work and additions have been nice...but with the voraciousness that you all pursue new aircraft...I would think that accurate sound would be a point of interest for all you people worried with accuracy and realism. I cannot help but notice that P-51's sound like walk behind lawn mowers and Hellcat's and Corsair's sound like riding lawn mowers and 109's (if you get them going fast enough...sound like weed whackers). My dad (former F-14 Tomcat Demo/"Cat Flight Pilot") walks in when I am playing PF and says (as I am flying the Hellcat) sounds like you got yourself a souped up lawnmower there. Where is the sound? I do not hear any Merlins or Pratt and Whitney radial engines on my copy of IL-2. And last time I checked...none of these companies are going legal about using the sounds on a game (in repsonse to the companies that are lobbying against using aircraft data in flight simulations). We need better sounds. Just my two cents.

DarkCanuck420
12-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I second that motion. the sound is weak. then engines sound, well like they havnt gone through puberty. the engine is quieter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif when flying then when i open my canopy and the wind is blowing in my ear. Im new to this flight sim ring, so personally more planes dont affect me as much. the only thing that is disapointing to me right now is the lack of sound quality.

BaldieJr
12-16-2004, 09:20 PM
I once thought the same thing.

Then one day I was "flying" back to base after a good fight. Something just didn't feel right.

10 minutes later I realise that the engine is making a faint noise that sounds abnormal.

20 minutes later I've got a motor with a real problem.

The point is: I didn't realize it at the time, but the sound engine is subtle and full of nuance. It may not be made up of air-craft recordings like other sims, but thats fine, because it does a fantastic job of delivering those little details that make this sim so cool.

UlrichHackl
12-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Im pritty sure they could make better sounds & still be able to give you those little hints that somethings going wrong...I mean these are professionals after all?

XyZspineZyX
12-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah, the whole realm of sound quality in the game system needs work.

Many guns and engines sound anemic... Ramp up the impact and bass energy please.

There are no sounds for collisions -- midair contact is totally silent. Collapsing gear and general crash landing sounds are weak.

But these ARE aesthetics and so IMO are secondary to more central issues: There is a lot of weight to arguments for historical plane balance for the allies in PF (allies had very numerous aircraft that could challenge the Hayate more effectively). I happen to think there are serious problems in the realm of damage modeling that are much more important (nuclear tipped 30mm cannon, tail structures functioning too much like armor plating vs anything that is not a 30mm nuclear warhead, engines too fragile in head-ons.) And single-player AI _desperately_ needs work... constant lawn-darting and complete lack of lead-shooting are some examples there. Ships could use more sophisticated damage modelling than just a hitpoint number.

Sound is great and I would love to have more production quality in PF in this area. But I really do think this is a secondary issue and I could tolerate this weakness if the other issues were dealt with instead.

actionhank1786
12-16-2004, 10:03 PM
I want Hell to freeze over so i can use this **** sled!

Owlsphone
12-17-2004, 01:19 AM
While I love hearing the sounds of real Merlins in flight, Baldie has a real point. The engine sounds are so subtle that engine troubles can actually be heard 20 minutes before it finally grinds to a halt. I don't think that you can make those sorts of slow transitions with pre-recorded sounds.

Dr_Schmerz
12-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I would prefer new sounds too. I have copies of IL2, FB, AEP and PF on my shelf. That is 4 versions which cover some 50 or 60 flyable planes or more. But there are only five sounds:
a) The lawn mower (P51, Spit..)
b) The truck (BF109, Zero..)
c) The Cessna (FW109..)
d) Two trucks (BF110, Beaufighter..)
e) Four trucks (B52..)
Thats not so much for 4 games, isnt it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hans_Philipp
12-17-2004, 05:36 AM
The topic has been raised numerous times, always arriving at the same conclusions.

1. The only way for significantly better sounds until BoB, would be a switch to .wavs

2. The developers use a sound generation engine. That "engine Vs .wavs" philosophy provides poorer sound but frees up resources

3. Any improvement expected by BoB would be an upgraded engine, not a switch to .wavs

As suchm sound will always be one of this series Achille's heel. Hey, It's gotta have at least one disadvantage!;-)

Willey
12-17-2004, 08:21 AM
I want hitsounds first.
Then different sounds.

actionhank1786
12-17-2004, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr_Schmerz:
I would prefer new sounds too. I have copies of IL2, FB, AEP and PF on my shelf. That is 4 versions which cover some 50 or 60 flyable planes or more. But there are only five sounds:
a) The lawn mower (P51, Spit..)
b) The truck (BF109, Zero..)
c) The Cessna (FW109..)
d) Two trucks (BF110, Beaufighter..)
e) Four trucks (B52..)
Thats not so much for 4 games, isnt it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have the B-52 in game!?
I bet it's way under modelled, due to an American Bias

PriK
12-17-2004, 09:05 AM
I can live with imperfect engine sounds.

What kills me is the ridiculous ability to hear a plane approach from behind or hear them shooting behind you.

This is another one of those things that has been sacrificed to satisfy the "airquakers".

The problem is that this completely spoils one of the most important tactics in the game, being able to sneak up on someone as happened countless times during WWII.

The shame of it is that it was fixed in one patch and brought back in the next one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

DarkCanuck420
12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
i agree, the planes behind me are louder then my own engine sound! increase the sound of your own engine and sound of wind passing by. therefore the sound of enemies behind you will be dampened. dont make other planes quieter just make your plane louder inside the cockpit.
that way your are not completly oblivious to sneaking bandits, and the sound is more convincing.

CaptArnold
12-17-2004, 12:31 PM
I agree the sound on this sim is pretty **** weak. I HATE it when I fly my pony and i all i hear is a **** lawnmower sound....yuck! Where is the Merlin! How many of you folks remember WWII Fighters?? (by Janes) They had the right sound for every engine in the game..albiet that their were only 6 engine sounds to be modelled. Every time you put the view to fly-by mode you could hear that trademark sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin or Mercedes DB 601. I would KILL to hear the throaty roar of an Allison on my P-40B. And while im still *****ing, I would like to add that the gun sounds are horrible! 6 .50 Cals do not sound like a bunch of bouncing tennis balls! The only gun sound that sounds good is the MK 108. If we keep making noise over this (no pun intended), they'll change the sounds...They changed the muzzle flash afterall didn't they?

P.S. one last ***** & moan, the tracers....where in the hell did the folks at Ubisoft ever see PURPLE tracers coming from AA guns on the Carriers? PURPLE!?!WHAAAT??!! And whats with the Red tracers for the US planes? As far as I can remember, Red tracers were used to let the pilot know he was running low on ammo....CFS2 did a much better job for the tracers and the sounds.

XyZspineZyX
12-17-2004, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaptArnold:
where in the hell did the folks at Ubisoft ever see PURPLE tracers coming from AA guns on the Carriers? PURPLE!?!WHAAAT??!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have recently read two different accounts of the Japanese using a large variety of colors in their AA tracers. Whether purple was included, I don't know. Presumably they do this so that individual gunners have an easier time distinguishing their streams from the myriad of others in the air.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
And whats with the Red tracers for the US planes? As far as I can remember, Red tracers were used to let the pilot know he was running low on ammo.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that's a great idea! I'd love to see that.

Oh, and for sounds... Someone mentioned wind... I agree, they really need to add that for when the engine runs low or dies and when the canopy opens.