PDA

View Full Version : Problem with HOTAS brakes?

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi folks,

I don't know if anyone has noted this but when you assign the brakes to the HOTAS control they only work for that side of the plane i.e. left brake = left gear. This means you can brake on one side only. Before, assigning brakes in this manner worked for both sides of the aircraft, regardless, making it easier to control on the ground. Perhaps it's linked to the OS? I'm using XP Pro and USB CH Pedals Pro.

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi folks,

I don't know if anyone has noted this but when you assign the brakes to the HOTAS control they only work for that side of the plane i.e. left brake = left gear. This means you can brake on one side only. Before, assigning brakes in this manner worked for both sides of the aircraft, regardless, making it easier to control on the ground. Perhaps it's linked to the OS? I'm using XP Pro and USB CH Pedals Pro.

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
What game are you talking about? This forum is for IL-2\FB. The only command for brakes in the HOTAS Controls is 'Brakes'.....no mention of 'left' or 'right'.

I have the 'Brake' command applied to my right pedal, which activates both brakes on my plane(s). IL-2\FB does not support separate braking for each wheel. The 'Brake ' command controls both wheels at the same time.

To steer your plane on the ground, use your brake and rudder commands.

PS-You should have posted this in the Tech Support Forum.

Aviar

----------------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard

Message Edited on 09/15/03 01:05AM by Aviar

Message Edited on 09/15/0301:47AM by Aviar

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 06:55 AM
But I'm quite sure it used to support independant breaking ... and I don't think it works both breaks either.

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi! I don't know how works CH Products, but I've a HOTAS Cougar and, pressing a button on the stick and the left or the right pedal, I can activate only the left or the right brake,very useful when taxiing.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Pag

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 11:56 AM
This is how the brakes work on many Russian fighters:

One "Bicycle Type" brake lever on the joystick, squeeze it with the rudders neutral - you get both brakes applied evenly.

"Bottom" the left rudder, (ie full left rudder), and squeeze the lever - you get braking on the left main wheel brake only. The converse is true for the right rudder = right main wheel.

Try it ... you'll like it.

PS. "All other things being equal ..." Regardless of steering systems, a skillful pilot should always "lead" the direction of his taxi turn with a rudder input. Two reasons: 1) It works. 2) It lets others know what your intentions are, like a turn signal. Of course, this assumes much.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WAAAAKsZBWdBhGy2CyCD9Nu72fWbqLHCnxd8CeTow5Anb75sn vP2W0!DnkvLSoh9W4DoYulCJgMjj1thQ8tWWr*XUOZA6S0G5E9 e3094YPY9bECLizscHb1R1zJGKhttAAAAAAAAAAA/Siggy-Block-400x2000.jpg?dc=4675418318811629849
Salute, Sir !!! Uncle_Ivan

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Lambdog,

Read your (and my) post again carefully. You just confirmed what I stated.

Your statement..." you get braking on the left main wheel brake only..." is not correct. It is the RUDDER that is turning the plane to the left, not the left wheel brake.

The rudder steers the plane...not the individual (left,right) wheel brakes. If you don't apply any rudder and press only one pedal, both wheel brakes will activate. This applies to all the planes in FB.

PS-I don't know what Pagooro is smoking, but then again he IS a Cougar user.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Aviar

----------------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard