PDA

View Full Version : BI-1 Outta Control!

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:30 PM
I was flying the BI-1 recently, it flew quite well for a bit then became possesed! went skitzo & flew into the ground!. this happens all the time. Does anyone else have this problem!??

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:30 PM
I was flying the BI-1 recently, it flew quite well for a bit then became possesed! went skitzo & flew into the ground!. this happens all the time. Does anyone else have this problem!??

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Watch your speed. I think around 700 kph, your controls become almost inneffective and inverted to boot

It's only funny til someone loses an eye....then it's hilarious

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/nightschpanker/hurricat.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Maybe outa fuel?

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Nah, its not fuel, this can happen at any time in the flight. Going over 700mph sound about right, just tried it out with the view set to outside & it went again.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Bl-1 starts to get in a nose heavy attitude after you pass 750km/h, and becomes totally uncontrollable after around 780km/h.

Just try to keep the speed below that using the throttle which shouldnt be too hard, specially for fuel economy.

Ppl would be surprised by how long you can keep flying on that thing even with the limited fuel load, by gliding and using the throttle wisely. The only problem is the low ammo load though...

http://www.uploadit.org/files2/031103-StukaTB.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 08:58 PM
This may be real. This is lifted from the Object Viewer, or aircraft description on the UBI page for BI~1....Also real apparently is the way BI~1 likes to nose over on takeoff, especially off airfield.

The seventh test flight was made on March 27th 1943. The goal was to reach the maximum speed in horizontal flight at 2,000 meters. Take-off was fine. G. Bahchivanji made two turns and then unexpectedly went into a steep dive at about a 50-degree angle. He struck the ground on the edge of the airfield. Witnesses who ran to the spot where he crashed could not find anything. The wooden plane was burned to a cinder, together with everything in it, including the pilot.

The special committee that investigated the accident made no findings. That year, a big wind tunnel was introduced, called the T-106 TsAGI. It was used for testing various airframes and their elements at subsonic speeds. The BI model was tested to determine the causes of the crash. According to the results of the tests, it became clear that the BI-3 crashed because of the specifications of the straight wing and tail unit at subsonic speeds, which were not taken into consideration during the design stage. As a consequence, the plane went into a steep dive from which the pilot could not pull out. The future of sub- and supersonic aviation was swept-wing.

-----------------------

btw,its not well known, but Oleg put retractable skis on the BI~1 and are used by all BI~1 on winter maps.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Best results are realised when handling the throttle in the exact opposite of the 262. i.e. pump it on and off and never leave it static for more than a few seconds. Anything over 600 kph jeopardizes your potential diving ability because redline IS 700 kph.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the damn thing climbs like a rocket!

Where's my Me163? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 09:43 PM
B1 is good for climbing and you can slow it down to get into a dogfight then accelerate quickly if you get into trouble but its max speed is 700. 262 can hit 950 to 1000 in a dive and everything remains intact. I think around 1050 it starts to break up. I noticed with 262 you need to keep your speed up and cant slow down in a fight or you will get smoked. It takes a long time to accelerate and if you are going around 300 or 400 the engines will overheat unless your at high alt. I get more kills with the 262 even though its hard to hit someone doing 700 and the B1 I think shoots rubber bullets because I havent shot anything down with that thing. Overall I think the B1 is almost impossible to shoot down but its just as hard to get kills. The 262 will obliterate a target with just a couple hits but will blow up with one round to the engine.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 09:48 PM
when your b1 gets noseheavy, just roll it on back, pull throttle back, and push stick down, away from you.
that will solve the problem and you can continue your fight.

---
Regards, DeBaer

-I fear nothing but the ground-

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 10:20 PM
DeBaer.534 wrote:
- when your b1 gets noseheavy, just roll it on back,
- pull throttle back, and push stick down, away from
- you.
- that will solve the problem and you can continue
- your fight.

in my opinion, that's a bug... the BI-1 shouldn't be controllable at all if the 750Km/h-Problem occurs.. the way it is modelled NOW, it doesn't make you feel like you are flying a "dangerous prototype" which unfortunately killed the russian test pilot...

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Yeah but the test pilot only got one go at trying to recover, we get tons and get to practice techniques for fighting with handling/control problems.

As for why the plane behaves like that, its all to do with the compresibility of air and the local speed of sound.

"They Gave All Their Tommorrows So That We Can Have Our Todays"

"Whirlwind Whiner"
First Of The Few

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Mach Tuck

To defeat, roll inverted.

Message Edited on 11/05/0310:48PM by BluedogKG200

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:48 PM
The BI-1 losses control normaly at 750 km/h but if you slowly speedup then you can go faster, it allows the aircraft to get used to the speed better rather than just busting though to 700. I've reached 840+ at low level.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:58 PM
At high speeds on the BI-1, the centre of lift on the wing migrates towards the trailing edge of the wing. This is why you nose down, and why it gets worse as your speed rises.

Once the Me-163 is out, you should be able (abeit at higher speeds) to do a similar thing with that plane.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Space-Hippie wrote:
- Nah, its not fuel, this can happen at any time in
- the flight. Going over 700mph sound about right,
- just tried it out with the view set to outside & it
- went again.
-
-
-

It probably should be 700km/h. 700mph is about 1100 km/h wich surely is pretty fast.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 06:06 PM
the 163 tucked at 1004 kmh according to oleg

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 06:12 PM
ianboys wrote:
- the 163 tucked at 1004 kmh according to oleg
-
- _____________
- Ian Boys
- =38=Tatarenko
- Kapitan - 38. OIAE
-

Hmmm...I can do that in my Jug! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Thunderbolt56 wrote:
-
- ianboys wrote:
-- the 163 tucked at 1004 kmh according to oleg
--
-- _____________
-- Ian Boys
-- =38=Tatarenko
-- Kapitan - 38. OIAE
--
-
-
- Hmmm...I can do that in my Jug!

But not, I hazard, in level flight

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall