PDA

View Full Version : READ: Vista vs XP

F19_Orheim
09-18-2007, 04:53 AM
SimHq has often very interesting articles.

if yu are thinking of updating you OS, you might want to read this....

A Vista vs XP shoot out.
John Reynolds puts the two leading contenders to the challenge with the SimHQ Test Suite.

Read HERE (http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_110a.html)

F19_Orheim
09-18-2007, 04:53 AM
SimHq has often very interesting articles.

if yu are thinking of updating you OS, you might want to read this....

A Vista vs XP shoot out.
John Reynolds puts the two leading contenders to the challenge with the SimHQ Test Suite.

Read HERE (http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_110a.html)

Capt.LoneRanger
09-18-2007, 05:11 AM
The testing is interesting, but little informative. If they had tested the OS against each other, it would have been neccessary to compare the same variants against each other. Testing a 32Bit system against another 64bit system is no valid basis for a fair test. Even XP 64bit is considerably slower than XP32bit in several areas due to the described driver issues.

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 05:19 AM
After using Vista since its release (Ultimate), the only good thing about it is it has never frozen or crashed to a point wer I needed to power it on and off. Thats it as I still game with a XP partition. All the drivers for vista re horrible and a lot of programs dont work properly, Vista is always making me input the administer PW for rudimentary things I do. It forces a 40 GB partition to use it ;I prefer 20 GB to keep the image small.

georgeo76
09-18-2007, 10:17 AM
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/microsoft-reveals-wi...will-install-xp.html (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/microsoft-reveals-windows-vista-sp1-will-install-xp.html)

Sergio_101
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
The testing is interesting, but little informative. If they had tested the OS against each other, it would have been neccessary to compare the same variants against each other. Testing a 32Bit system against another 64bit system is no valid basis for a fair test. Even XP 64bit is considerably slower than XP32bit in several areas due to the described driver issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run XP64 and XP ro 32 in a dual boot "AMD Quadfather 64"
system. The XP64 easily out performs XP-32 in most areas.

Even the 3Dmark 06 scores are quite a Bit higher
in 3D 06. Notably the CPU score.

I had Win Vista ultimate on a dual boot for a while.
It is slower in the 32 bit mode as well as 64.

At this point Vista is just a poorly written resource pig.
It serves the "soft serve" public well.
Those who are just after a fantasy computer
for E-Mail love Vista.
Business professionals and geeks avoid Vista like the plague.

Some points about the latest from MS, Vista Ultimate.

Vista32 like XP32 will never read more than about 2.7 gigs of RAM.
Vista64 and XP64 do read 16+ gigs of RAM.

Vista64, like XP64 handles multiple CPUs better
than the 32 bit version.
Especially 64 bit CPU's.

The security and legal protection written into every version of Vista
can cause nightmares for administrators and even casual users.
It will take many pages to describe all the nasty booby traps written into Vista.

All in all, if your just a web surfer and E-Mail addict, Vista is ok.

If your a gamer, geek or professional, spend a few xtra bucks and
get XP.

Vista is serious **** ware, the worst OS forced on the public since Windows Me.

Avoid it, it really sucks.

I can not over emphasise what a piece of **** Vista is.

Sergio

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Ask yourself if you really need it and why. Personally I wont be getting Vista for a long time and if I do I certainly will be running a dual boot system. I have seen DX10 in action on my buddies rig. I really do not see a big enough difference in Bioshock for example to warrant paying the ridiculous price for Vista. I may just wait for the 3rd party devs to perfect the DX10 wrapper they have been working on.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even XP 64bit is considerably slower than XP32bit in several areas due to the described driver issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I first went with XP Pro 64bit I did notice some performance issues. But now things are well and at the minimum I get equal performance as I did with XP if not better in some areas. I will be going to 4GB of Ram soon and its refreshing to know I wont need any tweaking to do so.

S!