PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain

BaylorMax
11-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Does anyone have firm news as to the future of Battle of Britain? I'm enjoying my purchased copy of PF but was wondering if Battle of Britain is on hold?

Anyone have any firm news one way or the other?

Thanks all!

<PF>Baylor6

p.s. It was real polite of Ubisoft to name their new sim after my squad!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BaylorMax
11-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Does anyone have firm news as to the future of Battle of Britain? I'm enjoying my purchased copy of PF but was wondering if Battle of Britain is on hold?

Anyone have any firm news one way or the other?

Thanks all!

&lt;PF&gt;Baylor6

p.s. It was real polite of Ubisoft to name their new sim after my squad!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chivas
11-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm enjoying PF very much, but to tell the truth I wish it hadn't even been thought of. I feel it has delayed BOB and its new engine. It may have lead to the cancellation of BOB altogther due the **** Oleg has had to endure.
I'm sure we would have seen BOB,PF,MAW,and EF with a totally new engine if PF on the existing engine had not seen the light of day.

ashley2005
11-29-2004, 01:14 PM
i know how u feel im british and am so looking forward to battle of britian more than getting a gibson les paul guitar ....hopefully it will be released somewhere within 2005 ..i have to admit though im really enjoying pacific fighters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Lethal_Hobo
11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Ha, My first combat flight simulator was CFS2, and I fell in love with it instantly, especially with the corsair, so PF is very dear to my heart http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif, but I think BoB would of been a better idea to do first, but I'm happy either way.

Oh, and I hope they have a few Canadian squadrons for the RAF, oh boy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Their pick: 400, 401, 402, 403, 411, 412, 414, 416, 417, 421, 430, 441, 442, 443, and the 609. Im not sure what the deal is with the 234, 185, or 541 squadren http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Revolter_
11-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Did you see where most of the replies on the first page were wiped out ! GOOD! A deserved slap in the face for the whiners and complainers. Serves them right. Jerks I say. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Athosd
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
BoB is an ambitious project - the small amount of information released so far indicates it will require the performance of next generation processors and graphics cards.
Releasing such a demanding product in 2005 would be self defeating - the feature set would be castrated to run with current equipment. IMHO it won't appear until late 2006 at the earliest.

PF though extensively supported by Oleg's team, is the work of another crew lead by Ilya Shevchenko (apologies if spelling is incorrect). PF is also serving as a test bed for the refinement of a number of features planned for BoB.
PF will also allow for the introduction of many new aircraft models still in development - work that would be lost if all effort shifted to BoB.

I anticipate 2005 will see continued support for PF with free updates and possibly a payware add-on.

I don't believe PF will have any negative impact on BoB's release - it was a smart move, keeping interest in the series alive (and pulling in new players) whilst work on the next engine proceeds.

Cheers

Athos

Athosd
11-29-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ashley2005:
i know how u feel im british and am so looking forward to battle of britian more than getting a gibson les paul guitar ....hopefully it will be released somewhere within 2005 ..i have to admit though im really enjoying pacific fighters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you won't have to wait, the team that made the "Firepower" expansion for CFS3 is working on a Battle of Britain sim - according to the item on SimHQ it may be released early/mid 2005.

I hope they do a good job (haven't played CFS3, but many have praised the Firepower addon). More quality sims can't hurt the hobby - and anything from Oleg is already on my 'must buy' list.

The-Good-Guy
11-29-2004, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:
BoB is an ambitious project - the small amount of information released so far indicates it will require the performance of next generation processors and graphics cards.
Releasing such a demanding product in 2005 would be self defeating - the feature set would be castrated to run with current equipment. IMHO it won't appear until late 2006 at the earliest.

PF though extensively supported by Oleg's team, is the work of another crew lead by Ilya Shevchenko (apologies if spelling is incorrect). PF is also serving as a test bed for the refinement of a number of features planned for BoB.
PF will also allow for the introduction of many new aircraft models still in development - work that would be lost if all effort shifted to BoB.

I anticipate 2005 will see continued support for PF with free updates and possibly a payware add-on.

I don't believe PF will have any negative impact on BoB's release - it was a smart move, keeping interest in the series alive (and pulling in new players) whilst work on the next engine proceeds.

Cheers

Athos <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely. Nice review of the benefits.

Personally, I hope it doesn't come out until around the end of 2006. FB/PF will keep most of us more than occupied until then and it'll give Oleg and the team plenty of time to make the new generation of game BOB's expected to be. Plus they can program it to be used with more capable computers as Athosd pointed out.

Just my two yen worth. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

heywooood
11-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Yes - I hope they take their time with the BoB...

But for me...the most anticipated thing in that sim will be the look of those stark white cliffs rising out of that beautiful water and topped with those emerald fields....as I dip my Spitfires' wing.

Chivas
11-29-2004, 07:43 PM
According to Oleg it won't need a next generation processor to run it. He said if you can run FB in Perfect you will be able to run BOB. But that obviously could change by the time BOB is released. If its released.

Your right about Ilya's team doing the bulk of the work. But Oleg's team probably had to put many hours proofing and fixing what was presented too them. Thus setting back BOB till 2006 and a couple of weeks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Not to mention the piracy and *****ing stretching Oleg's patience enough to cancel BOB and all other flight sims for more profitable business.

Chivas
11-29-2004, 07:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
Yes - I hope they take their time with the BoB...

But for me...the most anticipated thing in that sim will be the look of those stark white cliffs rising out of that beautiful water and topped with those emerald fields....as I dip my Spitfires' wing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes....the first thing I want to do is head for the coast and fly along the White Cliffs of Dover. Thats what I did with CFS3 and was totally shocked to find them missing.....

heywooood
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
..I dont for a second believe that Oleg and co. will let us down....we've already seen the water...and the new clouds are coming.

Athosd
11-29-2004, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chivas:
According to Oleg it won't need a next generation processor to run it. He said if you can run FB in Perfect you will be able to run BOB. But that obviously could change by the time BOB is released.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Granted current mid to high range systems may be able to run BoB - though possibly not at the level intended by the developers.
If BoB is to have the sort of weather/atmospheric/flight/damage modelling, AI and other features hinted at - it will require some serious computing power.

If BoB is 18 months away - that's about three release cycles in the graphics hardware industry; and time enough for the bulk of mid range CPUs to pass the 3GHz level. We might even see 64bit Windows in that time (not holding my breath for that one).

The white cliffs of Dover are in "Rowan's Battle of Britain" - which is being used for a revised/updated release of that sim, scheduled for February 2005 (the one I referred to earlier).
Though Rowan's BoB never worked particularly well for me it had some nice features - and the campaign control was a lot of fun.

Salute

Athos

Chivas
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes , I'm looking forward to the release of the BOB remake. It had some nice features that Oleg should and probably has investigated.

tagTaken2
11-29-2004, 08:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:

The white cliffs of Dover are in "Rowan's Battle of Britain" - which is being used for a revised/updated release of that sim, scheduled for February 2005 (the one I referred to earlier).
Though Rowan's BoB never worked particularly well for me it had some nice features - and the campaign control was a lot of fun.

Salute

Athos <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't played the original... what do you mean by updated? New graphics, AI etc, or just patched?

I'd rather have PF now and wait. May as well get the most out of the Il-2 game engine.

Plus, "The Few" (ie. Tom Cruise, his cocky grin, and his sturdy platform heels) might provide some valuable marketing for BoB.

Personally, the first thing I'm going to do is strafe one of those cute little double-decker buses in an Emil. Would be great if animated passengers leapt from it and ran. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Athosd
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tagTaken2:
Haven't played the original... what do you mean by updated? New graphics, AI etc, or just patched?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like a new simulation based on Rowan's original code.

Here's a press release about it that appeared on gamespot:

GMX Announces Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory

PRESS RELEASE -- This text is not created or endorsed by GameSpot.

LONDON, UK (November 5, 2004) - GMX Media and Shockwave Productions have announced they have decided to produce a new WWII air combat game entitled, "Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory!" Earlier this year, GMX Media acquired rights to the former and critically acclaimed "Rowan's Battle of Britain." Shockwave Productions is developing the new title, which is scheduled for release in early 2005.

MiamiEagle
11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Relax guys,it will come in due time. At first I was not to very happy that they were going to develope another Battle of Britain since their are many Sims and addon devoted to the subject already. I rather they would developed one on the MAW istead. I have to admit that the Idea has grown to me . Now I am very intersted in its development. For the time being lets enjoy what we already have. lets remember there have been only one Simulator dedicated to the Pacific air war and on the other hand there have many devoted to the Battle of Britain. Besides it sounds like it will a next generation simulator with many new impovements to it. I just hope Oleg finishes what he promise us and put all his energy to this installment before he desides to moves to the next project. Here we are getting a whole new war Theater and not just one famous Battle.

Chivas
11-30-2004, 12:11 AM
BOB was to be just the start with the new engine. Followed by most of the other Theaters. I don't think Oleg uses that Promise word. They read enough into his statements as it is.

triggerhappyfin
11-30-2004, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiamiEagle:
Relax guys,it will come in due time. At first I was not to very happy that they were going to develope another Battle of Britain since their are many Sims and addon devoted to the subject already. I rather they would developed one on the MAW istead. I have to admit that the Idea has grown to me . Now I am very intersted in its development. For the time being lets enjoy what we already have. lets remember there have been only one Simulator dedicated to the Pacific air war and on the other hand there have many devoted to the Battle of Britain. Besides it sounds like it will a next generation simulator with many new impovements to it. I just hope Oleg finishes what he promise us and put all his energy to this installment before he desides to moves to the next project. <span class="ev_code_RED">Here we are getting a whole new war Theater and not just one famous Battle.[/</span>QUOTE]

Spot on, Eagle!!

Something to add is the fact that many of us are not able to enjoy all the goodies in the PF yet due to performance of our computers.

There is lot more to be added to this sim and the fact remains: There is no competition!!

Cryin out loud - even when flyin the AI planes w outside view only gives you more feeling of RL flight than any other sim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

And those FM´s are simplified a lot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I hope Oleg stick to IL-2 series for a while yet and keep some addons comin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Brock.Landers
11-30-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure you could call it "one famous battle" MiamiEagle. It was a series of skirmishes, over a decent amount of time and much of the south and west of the UK. But I'm being picky and I can see your point.

I look at PF as a tasty morsal to chew on while waiting for the big one. Great as it was, I'm not sure enough people would have kept interest with FB whilst BoB is being developed without a 'new toy'.

Probably purely because I'm British, I can't help but get ridiculously excited at the prospect of a BoB simulation done (the right way) by Oleg. The sight and sound of a Spit tearing over the English countryside always gets me right in the chest.

I hope they include the Lancaster bomber though. Imagine 7 of us, all on voice comms, packed into a Lancaster and fending off attacks. Awesome.

Is anyone in the UK watching the programme "Bomber Crew" on Channel 4? I must admit I welled up a bit when they climbed aboard for the first time and sat in the seats of their grandfathers and got a sense of what they went through. Looks like it's going to be a great series.

MiamiEagle
11-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Brock.Lander its refreshing and nice that you appreciate what your Grandfathers generation did to safeguard the freedom you enjoy today.I feel your excitement as I read your post. I think thats great.
I too appreciate what they did back then. I think BOB is one of the most exciting moments and interesting period of the war.
Imagine trying to defending the free world with just your small squadron of Hurrricaines against the Hordes of enemy bombers and fighters and you know you cannot fail because the balance of History is on you shoulder. Thats gentlemen is extremely exciting.
Lets not forget that Britain was the only Nation in the world at this time holding out against the Powerful Nazis.
Had they failed the World today would have been much different place that we know now.
So my hat goes down for the RAF pilots of that era.
But I also get excited about Pearl Harbor, Guadacanal,the Solomon chain, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
They too are important Battles that have been poorly represented in the Sim world and they need to bee represented to the fullest as well.
Be patient BOB fans maybe this will be a blessing in disguess.
BOB probably will made with a improve engine and will even be better than Pacific Fighters while not in scope but in quality.
Miamieagle

Doctor_Feelgood
11-30-2004, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock.Landers:
The sight and sound of a Spit tearing over the English countryside always gets me right in the chest.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as it does me. and i'm american!!!

Brock.Landers
11-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Yes that's a fair point MiamiEagle. I guess commercial considerations may have come into the decision to create a game based on the (already visited) theatre of the BoB i.e. it is more instantly marketable.

Your comment about scope is interesting though and is something that concerns me. A BoB game could end up a pretty limited range of planes to pick from. I hope they create that new engine with future-proofing enough to serve as the basis for games in other theatres of war that can offer us the enormous range we've got with IL-2+FB+PF today.

SusyCreamcheese
11-30-2004, 11:35 AM
At the end of the day, Oleg and crew have to earn income to survive, and BOB may well be a long way off hitting the shelves, so I think its likely they will have to release some additional add-on to pay their way whilst perhaps exercising the opportunity to develop the basis for enhancements that will see the light of day as core BOB engine.

WOLFMondo
11-30-2004, 11:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock.Landers:
Your comment about scope is interesting though and is something that concerns me. A BoB game could end up a pretty limited range of planes to pick from. I hope they create that new engine with future-proofing enough to serve as the basis for games in other theatres of war that can offer us the enormous range we've got with IL-2+FB+PF today. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Oleg continues his trend then BoB will be the basis for a whole new world wide encompassing WW2 sim..I hope so anyway.

Im just looking forward to flying over where I live.

Tdavart
11-30-2004, 11:53 AM
For those of us who are facinated by the Pacific war, PF IS the big one, and if an add-on for Korea comes along, I'll take it. But whatever Oleg comes up with for BoB, I'll buy.

WIFC_Phantom
11-30-2004, 11:56 AM
uhuh...BoB should be cool...hell, i loved being able to fly over where my house should have been (were it not built in the 1970's) on cfs1!!

Also would be cool is fb+PF+BoB were intergrateable into some kind of world conflict...because the maps on cfs2 were awesomly large and you could really get some stuff together on that!...but no doubt people will forget all about PF when a new toy comes out!

Chivas
11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I'll say it again another way.

Oleg is developing a completely new Engine for Flight Sims. The first offering will be the Batttle Of Britian and then the other theaters of the war with the new engine.

FB/AEP/PF will not be compatible.

Once you see BOB on the new engine you will want a new PF designed on that engine along with the MED, and all other theaters that Oleg deamed profitable enough to spend all that time and effort too produce.

Hans_Philipp
11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
And isn't it a shame Chivas if they don't utilize the "model a generic globe and focus on sectors/areas for each individual release" model?

Besides linking the various theaters at some point, and providing endless mission/campaign options it would function as a great incentive for third parties to produce high quality sectors for the "undermodeled areas"!

Chivas
11-30-2004, 05:40 PM
I would love to see the whole globe modeled Hans and like you say much more detailed in major theaters.
Although it would probably be a Major FPS killer making it necessary to dumb down other areas such as FM's etc. But I have no idea.

Fennec_P
11-30-2004, 08:02 PM
I look forward to disposing of the bloated FB/AEP/PF combo when BoB comes out. In the fireplace they will go.

Scream for me, little planes! Muhuhahahaa!

Then say hello to nice cockpits (now with 35% more working gauges!) and editable weather conditions.

NTESLA
11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
In the meantime you can enjoy this download while I finish it :

"The Few" - THX1138/NTESLA Trailer (http://www.sunstarentertainmentinc.com/videos/thx1138BOB.wmv)

Enjoy!

Hans_Philipp
11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
It most probably wouldn't Chivas, since it would require a code rewrite. (You wouldn't be loading everything priot to entering the game).