PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot has SH4 page up

Bob_Gilroy
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silenthunter4/index.html

Very little content, lists release as Q4 2006.
If this is WW2 centric, i'm betting it will be the pacific fleet Japanese + American Campaigns.

Bob_Gilroy
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silenthunter4/index.html

Very little content, lists release as Q4 2006.
If this is WW2 centric, i'm betting it will be the pacific fleet Japanese + American Campaigns.

con20or
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Wow, there is absolutely no information on that page. They might have thrown in an advert for SH5 as well!!It is well out of order though, them advertising SH4 already. Looks really bad.

BaneSixEcho
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I wish it were going to be a modern-day sub sim. They've made three WWII-era sub sims already.

Give me nuclear power!

Capt._Tenneal
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Anyone know if SH4 will be done by UBIsoft-Romania too ?

Monkeywho
03-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Modern Subs = Sonanalysts

Check out Dangerous Waters at Battlefront.com.

I prefer the Silent Hunter series being WWII myself.

I enjoyed Jane's oldie, but goodie 688(i) for Modern Sub warfare

hundurinn
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Since the WW2 ended only 2 torpedos have been fired in war. One in the Falkland Island war but I'm not sure of the other.

That game could never be "historical"

HeibgesU999
03-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Modern Subs

Janes 688i
SubCommand
Dangerous Waters

Lots of great modern subsims out there.

gherring1
03-31-2005, 06:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeywho:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Personally, I'm disappointed that SH3 is another U-boat sim and not the first Windows version of the Pacific theater. Then again, I think I prefer U-boats anyway as they're more challenging. But that may be why I have this yen to take an S-boat on patrol around the Philippines.

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I think a WW1 subsim would be cool.

Or Japanese subs. Minis he heh.

But only modern if its that new non-nuclear German Sub.

U 31 Klasse 212A (this would be coool)

With some- Fregatte Klasse 124 SACHSEN

Yeah baby!

LtBen
03-31-2005, 06:37 PM
imo I'm absolutely fine with SH3 just being a U-Boat sim. The U-Boat War is the only part of naval warfare history I've ever been interested in, it has it's own uniqueness and nothing like was seen before it and nothing like it will ever be seen again.

govnar
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Aye, Ubisoft Bulgaria, Croatia or whatever should start making a DC sequel. Iowa, Bismarck, ... mmmmmmmmmhmmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by govnar:
Aye, Ubisoft Bulgaria, Croatia or whatever should start making a DC sequel. Iowa, Bismarck, ... mmmmmmmmmhmmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A straight out Bismarck Sim WOULD BE AWESOME! Can you imagine how well that would sell. OMG.

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by con20or:
Wow, there is absolutely no information on that page. They might have thrown in an advert for SH5 as well!!It is well out of order though, them advertising SH4 already. Looks really bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No actually it looks good because it shows a commitment to this genre. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Charos
03-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Hold your Horses - lets fix SH3 first, Im shore there is enough to keep the WHOLE SH team busy fixing bugs with SH3 that spliting half of them off onto SH4 .

On the other hand this could be a round about way of saying well SH3 is beyond help better to just make SH4 and fix everything in a new Game.

Fix the Crew, fix the compressed air, fix the Scopes, fix the dive depth, fix the dynamic campaign anomolies, fix the grapics glitches, fix the sonar Fix stationary constant depth etc etc etc just fix whats broken THEN SH4 to your hearts content.

Poacher886a
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
I do so hope that SH4 is not the pacific,only two nations,and a boring duck shoot in calm sunny waters!!
Sh3 is where the real action was!! I would like to see for SH4 all the thing's they missed like wolf packs, BDU contact,more ships better graphics,milk cows etc etc,
Lets finish off the Atlantic war first!

WW1 would be good,subvsub and all that!

Hoatee
04-02-2005, 05:17 AM
All this talk about American and/or German subs. How about some French, Italian, British, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, etc., subs in a SHIV?

And then the destroyers in DCn (where n = any number equal to or greater than 3).

Hertston
04-02-2005, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeywho:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Likewise. Going modern wouldn't be good news IMHO.

Firstly, U-Boats have a huge marketing pull modern subs don't. Sub Command was/is excellent, but sold poorly which was why Sonalysts went to Battlefront, who are much better at less mainstream stuff. Dangerous Waters is another superb product, but it would never have made money as a mainstream store release.

Secondly, a significant part of that pull gamewise is eye candy. A U-Boat sim really benefits from good graphics, and we see great screenies posted everyday. A modern sub would never even surface, and like DW virtually all the gameplay would be looking at virtual plotting tables and sonar screens. Its not "hardcore" as such, but it would be a huge turn-off for many introduced to subsims by SH3.

Thirdly, I'd rather have one company developing modern sims and another WW2 rather than competing. That way, we get both sorts of games, and they both stay in business.

RocketDog
04-02-2005, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gherring1:
Agreed. Personally, I'm disappointed that SH3 is another U-boat sim and not the first Windows version of the Pacific theater. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The killer problem with a Pacific theatre sub sim is that the Japanese ASW capabilites were so poor that the game would have little challenge.

We already have something of the same problem in flight sims. Look at how Pacific Fighters suffers compared to IL-2/FB because the Japanese aircraft simply can't compete with their Allied opponents.

Of course, we'll probably get a Pacific theatre sim anyway because it's such an obvious step to use the SH3 game engine. And I'm sure I'd buy it as well.

Regards,

RocketDog.