PDA

View Full Version : NYGM 2.2 Compartment Efficiency question...

Moog42
10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Could't find any info after trawling this and other forums and a few readmes so I'm posting here. I just performed a full reinstall of SHIII, SH3 Commander, and NYGM 2.2, by the book, and when I set out on my first patrol last night in a VIIB (Sep 1939) everything appeared to be working perfectly...

...except for compartment efficiency. For instance, I have a fully-manned, fully-rested bridge at patrol's start (default crew, no additions), with the relavently-trained officer, petty officer, and 3 watch crew, but the efficiency is down at around 25%. Similarly I have default crew in the Command Room (CE + NO + 3 Matrosengefreiteren) but the efficiency appears to be less than 20%. I understand that the effect of the Helmsman qualification has been removed but this shouldn't have an effect anyway as only the CE is qualified, and that is in Repair. The engine room and radio room are running with even lower efficiency. The last time I played, running NYGM 2.1, I can remember these compartments operating near or at full effiency, and being satisfied with having to rotate the crew in order to maintain a decent level of efficiency.

The 'Use Crew Fatigue Model' in SH3Commander is unchecked and I'm using the default SHIII crew. I thought that the crew model hadn't been tweaked since 2.1 so I'm beginning to worry that I did something stupid during the reinstallation which may have caused this! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Any help or similar stories/resolutions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and major kudos to the NYGM team for what is surely one of the best 3rd party mods available for any game.

-Moog

PS: Bit of a no-brainer this one, but seeing as my brain has been a bit soft of late: in the NYGM PDF it says to set the SH3Commander Max. Deck Gun Reload Time to 15secs, but the option in SH3Commander is for Min. Reload Time, so I just left it unchecked, is this correct?

EDIT: PPS: Just noticed that clicking on the WO while on the bridge still gets his attention but the commands menu no longer appears in the bottom-left corner, unless you click on his icon from the officers' icons. Not a big deal, I know, but still http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bweiss
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I expect Teddy will be by shortly to give you a proper answer, but it the meantime if I read what your saying correctly I don't think you did anything wrong. 2.2 is tweaked again on the efficiency issue, and yes I also have much lower efficiency levels in all compartments. In addition, it seems (perhaps my imagination), that it takes longer for higher grades to recover efficiency than lower grades. Anyway, I think what your seeing is the normal 2.2 adjustments. But I'll let Teddy explain in his own words.

Moog42
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, bweiss, that sets my mind at ease - I didn't think that the crew model had been tweaked. Cool, this should add another layer of strategy in looking out for the crew over the long term. I got newbies on the bridge at the moment who couldn't spot a snot hanging from the WO's nose but maybe after a few patrols they'll keen-up on their long-range vision (and spot snots from 20km http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

PS: On a slightly weird note, a friend of mine is a student of diplomacy... I noticed earlier today that he had changed his internet message board signature, not weird in itself, but his signature is the exact same quote as yours. Cue Twilight Zone music...

Teddy Bar
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Moog42
bweiss is right (thanks for jumping mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif) in that there is no issue and that we have tweaked the efficiency.

The reason that the efficiency bar is the way it is, is because of the NYGM TW 2.2 Extended Repair Mod which is based upon the excellent discovery of nvdrifter's regarding the effects of putting the maximum efficiency up to such a level as to make the compartment efficiency so low that it effects the repair times.

As you now will ask, what is the NYGM Extended Repair Mod...

The NYGM repair times are not as long the configurations by nvdrifter as we have based out Extended Repair Mod on a realistic approach to flooding & flooding recovery times.

To clarify, repair times, stopping flooding and pumping out flooding are all effected by the same values. Extend one you extend them all.

Do not confuse the time it takes to flood a compartment, as that value is specified by the flood rate which is adjusted to suit the Flooding repair time.

In this example your u-boat was damage and you have a damaged engine and flooding.

Standard SHIII configuration...
Engine repair time is 5 minutes
Flooding repair time 10 minutes
Flooding recovery time 15 minutes

10x longer repair time configuration...
Engine repair time is 50 minutes
Flooding repair time 100 minutes
Flooding recovery time 150 minutes

So far not too bad... The issues start when you want to make the engine repair times more realistic.

100x longer repair time configuration...
Engine repair time is 500 minutes or 8hrs +
Flooding repair time 1000 minutes or 16hrs +
Flooding recovery time 1500 minutes or 25 hrs

So you can see that even with every slot filled in the engine room compartment you can end up with 16+ hours to repair a slow leak.

Now that you have reduced the crews effectiveness to repair damaged items and to stop leaks you need to compensate the flood times and you will need to make the flood time longer than the repair times. So now you end up with say 27 hours to completely flood a compartment at 200 metres depth.

We now come back to flooding recover which is always longer than the time it takes to stop the flooding, so lets say it now takes another 32 hours to pump the compartment dry.

As NYGM have made a realistic approach to flooding as our main priority we cannot go as far as nvdrifter has for repair times to damaged equipment.

I hope this helps to explain the differences between our approaches and why the end results are different.