PDA

View Full Version : Nitpicks for UberSHIII

Budokan
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Okay, we know the sonar man will eventually be fixed and milch cows, wolfpacks, etc. But what are some of your nitpick fixes you'd like to see that would add just that much more realism and world detail for you, and probably end up irritating the greater gaming community of SHIII? (These wouldn't necessarily make the game any better...that's why they would be nitpicks, hehe)

Here's mine:

1.) I want to see the fruit and sausage slowly disappear over a long voyage as my crew eats it.
(Hey, it told you they were nitpicks!)

2.) I want to have to do a trim dive every day since I'm burning fuel and consuming provisions. If not, there should be some cumulative effect of something going wrong with the dive at a critical time.

3.) I want the speed of the boat to be effected during a long voyage by the accumulation of biologic material on the hull. (Maybe I can send my mute sonar man out to scrub it!)

4.) Diesel smoke from my boat

5.) Having to take the position of the moon into account when making a night attack, rather than the ambient light/glow the devs have. In another words, it should be easier to see me with the moon behind me, but harder with the moon on the other side of the target.

Hey, I told you they were nitpicks. What are some of yours....?

InfectiousDust
06-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Budokan:
Okay, we know the sonar man will eventually be fixed and milch cows, wolfpacks, etc.

Well, we know about the sonar, but I doubt the other two things will be added in any patch. I don't have that much faith.

I like the idea of the hanging fruit and meat disappearing over time. I was thinking about that the other day as well. It would be a nice touch. Only problem is, some patrols are a lot longer than others. I don't know how that would be factored in.

KillerBotter
06-03-2005, 03:15 PM

All are cool except this one. Real U-boats never released Diesel smoke into the air unless damaged. They released it underwater and it was trapped there. What little did escape was minimal and very hard to detect unless you could see the U-Boat anyway. So it doesn't really matter.

Zauker
06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
i would like to see every significant harbor on the map and nearby traffic in example Naples, Taranto, Casablanca, Dakar, Dieppe, Antwerp, Copenhagen,Rotterdam...

Budokan
06-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Okay, I believe you when you say the diesel smoke was lessened underwater, but I can't see how it would be trapped. It's an exhaust gas and as such it would have to bubble to the surface because of its lesser density and give away some remant of itself. And I'm confused about thinking I've seen pics and movies of subs moving across the surface and belching diesel smoke...other than the obvious smoke rendition in "Operation Petticoat", haha.

But it makes sense it wouldn't be as noticeable....

Charlie901
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by KillerBotter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

All are cool except this one. Real U-boats never released Diesel smoke into the air unless damaged. They released it underwater and it was trapped there. What little did escape was minimal and very hard to detect unless you could see the U-Boat anyway. So it doesn't really matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

W.Irving Posted Thu June 02 2005 04:04
I must concur with Kapitan LoneRanger.
I read at uboat.net about a U-boat that was depth-charged for some time and then tried to sneak away on the surface. The exhaust plume was spotted by a destroyer, and the boat was sunk.

Hmmmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Maj_Solo
06-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Zauker:
i would like to see every significant harbor on the map and nearby traffic in example Naples, Taranto, Casablanca, Dakar, Dieppe, Antwerp, Copenhagen,Rotterdam...

Especially if you could perhaps sneak into a neutral harbor and get some fuel when you are on the south side of the globe. In the world there are always "pirates", and Germany could maybe get their spies to negotiate with those "Han Solo" types and see if they don't have any diesel for sale ... "at the right price" ofcourse.

fizilbert
06-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Since we're talking about a dream list here, this one goes kinda with the disappearing food supplies. I'd like to see the beards grow over time. Start the crew out with shaved faces and over time the bears would grow.

S VIIC_41
06-04-2005, 06:44 AM
The BEARS?!?!? O_O

OH MY GOD! THERE ARE BEARS ABOARD?!?! *abandons ship*

jcurrens
06-04-2005, 05:51 PM
that would be really cool to see the beards! if one of your crew members disobey an order from you, haul down on their beards!

urlybird0
06-05-2005, 05:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

All are cool except this one. Real U-boats never released Diesel smoke into the air unless damaged. They released it underwater and it was trapped there. What little did escape was minimal and very hard to detect unless you could see the U-Boat anyway. So it doesn't really matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid you're wrong on this point , U-boats , and in fact all vessels which discharge there exhaust gasse's below the surface will produce a visible cloud of steam and exhaust vapours

KillerBotter
06-05-2005, 05:58 AM
While they may produce something that is visible it isn't as highly visible along the horizon as a plume from a merchant ship. Otherwise how on earth did U-boats stalk on the surface during the day? I mean seriously think about it. There is no smoke stack for the U-boat which means obviously the exhaust is released underwater. So there may be some escape from the water it's going to be comparable to a diesel truck not a diesel ship. Once again a lot more U-boats wouldn't have been on the surface if it had been.

jcurrens
06-05-2005, 09:48 AM
here's one that i'd love to see in game, a better scene when something happens to the u-boat (crew died, pressure breaking hull, or scuttling the boat to surrender) rather then "Abandon misson"

Budokan
06-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see battle pennants for the ships I sunk when returning to base....

InfectiousDust
06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Budokan:
I'd like to see battle pennants for the ships I sunk when returning to base....
There could be quite a few of those by the time your career ends!

CRSutton
06-06-2005, 03:32 PM
While they may produce something that is visible it isn't as highly visible along the horizon as a plume from a merchant ship. Otherwise how on earth did U-boats stalk on the surface during the day? I mean seriously think about it. There is no smoke stack for the U-boat which means obviously the exhaust is released underwater. So there may be some escape from the water it's going to be comparable to a diesel truck not a diesel ship. Once again a lot more U-boats wouldn't have been on the surface if it had been.

Ah but most surface ships of that era burned oil. Much more smoke. Apples to oranges here. Really the disel engines in a sub, whether released underwater or above, would not create much of a smoke plume. Most ocean breezes would disperse it before it was spotted. Only, an injured or out of tune disel would emit that much smoke.

A very calm day might prove to be a problem as well.

W.Irving
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
The C2's and C3's had diesel engines. Doubt they were super/turbocharged like our diesels, so smoke they should emit. Allow me to quote Charlie..

Originally posted by Charlie901:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> W.Irving Posted Thu June 02 2005 04:04
I must concur with Kapitan LoneRanger.
I read at uboat.net about a U-boat that was depth-charged for some time and then tried to sneak away on the surface. The exhaust plume was spotted by a destroyer, and the boat was sunk.

Hmmmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

U-boats should occasionally emit smoke.

I want supplies. As the qualit¤t of the food and water deteriorates, so should the morale. As the morale suffers, the crew should start making mistakes. Incorporate regular trim dives, and let a green and weary crew bugger up the balance of the boat. Boost morale by resupplying at an island in the pacific (bananas for a week) or taking on fresh water (ice) at the north pole.

infacto
06-07-2005, 03:20 AM
I'm no U-Boat Expert but Nothing ever seems to break or wear out not even in the worst storms I'm sure even famous german engineering somtimes must break.
Rgds
Infacto

W.Irving
06-07-2005, 03:56 AM
From u47.org:

If the mission was not difficult enough, things were not made any easier when the lubricating oil was found to have 7-8% water in it. A leak in the cylinder liner was found to be the culprit. Chief Engineer Johann-Friedrich Wessels was called up on to apply all of his expertise and experience; Prien knew that anything less than a fully-functional engine that could take the necessary punishment would have jeopardised the mission's success.

JU88
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
My nitpicks would be:

lack of radio messages from bdu.

lack of port activity

lack of ports

lack of graphics/textures/models for costal areas in genral(eg where are the famouse block ships in scappa flow- this would be so easy to do.)

lousy aircraft models and textures

lack of emotion expressed by crew such as fear and celebration. could be expressed by them verbaly and by body language/facial expressions.

Popey109
06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I€m starting to think we€ve been short changed here! Has anyone had torpedoes launched at them from Elko€s or aircraft? Shore line render is very poor; harbors are sterol and lack damage model smoke fires buildings destroyed. No AI subs for wolf packs, weather makes no since at all with days in north Atlantic in late Jan. with com seas. Fog is unrecognizable unless you check weather report, should be like driving threw low clouds. Many other games do these things on existing systems very well€¦having second thoughts about just how good SH III is! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

InfectiousDust
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Popey109:
I€m starting to think we€ve been short changed here! Has anyone had torpedoes launched at them from Elko€s or aircraft?
This has not been modeled in SH3, so no, it hasn't happened to anyone.

Popey109
06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I was afraid of that. Several times I€ve encountered Elko€s charging in guns blazing but I€ve never had to take evasive action for €œtorpedo in the water Sir!€ I quickly dispatch them with AA and dive to safety€¦well, till the VW€s show up. It has it€s moments, but so much is missing€¦

W.Irving
06-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Question is.. if a PT would launch a torpedo at a U-boat, why wouldn't a destroyer?

S VIIC_41
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm no U-Boat Expert but Nothing ever seems to break or wear out not even in the worst storms I'm sure even famous german engineering somtimes must break.

Nein! Es ist der Masterengineering! O_O