PDA

View Full Version : Padlock vs Track IR??

Muddy17
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Alot of severs have P-lock disabled {dont mater to me} but was thinking that if Im flying with T-IR and you have no P-lock then you using thumb switch to scan the skies is a little bit of a bummer.
How many of you are using T-IR??

BillSwagger
06-13-2009, 05:19 PM
im not, but i use a mouse to pan with smoothing as an alternative. The hat switch would be better suited as a trim control IMO, because the mouse allows for faster and more accurate scans as long as your using a mouse smoother or gaming mouse with smoothing options.

I then have my mouse wheel for rudder, and when comboed it can be throttle or trim. Its very efficient this way, and is probably the next best configuration to having T-IR.

I've learned to make it work although pad-lock is still something i prefer even with its potential blind spots. Maybe 'no-pad lock' is something i can practice in a duel.

Logitech Attack 3 = $15.00
Five button Mouse = $20.00
Il2 1946 = $10.00

Hours of online gaming addiction = priceless

Muddy17
06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I would tend to leave it on for a duel does not bother me if others are useing it,,and in all fareness[THERE'S THAT WORD AGAIN} if one guy has T-IR and the other does not..I see T-IR as a padlock in itself ya know.

BillSwagger
06-13-2009, 05:35 PM
For me, its less of a tracking issue and more of a graphics issue. Its easy to lose site of a plane when my frame rate gets so choppy (full switch) that tracking with anything would be futile.

The SOV closed pit server, doesn't effect my frame rate to the same degree. It has a lot to do with the map, clouds, etc and perhaps its more noticeable when i don't have pad lock to rely on.

Trefle
06-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Got the track IR only very recently , and it takes time to get used to it , at least for me , cause you need to keep your head centered before shooting , even with deadzones and 100% smoothing , the trick for me is to bind a key on the stick to pause/deactivate the Trackir before aiming/making a pass

Before that i was using the hat switch , after some time you get quite skilled with the thumb , but that's until my hat experienced problem , so i had to use a combo hat switch + mouse with the right hand which was uncomfortable .

If you can get a track IR , don't hesitate , it's expensive but if you fly a lot , it's worth it , it changes the experience of the game , more immersion IMHO , i never used padlock so i can't say

Scolar
06-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I have problems looking around properly in game. I find Hat switches to be useless in looking around as they snap from angle to angle and strains my hand when using it. I have to swap hands and use the joy with my left and look around with my right on the mouse, then I switch back to right handed joystick when I finish.
The padlocks work okay for me, I only use F3 to see the cool fly by aspect and sometimes to view a chasing enemy. F6 is used quite a lot by me on openpit servers.

Ordered myself TrackIR the other day so when it arrives I can tell you how I feel with the new gear!

BillSwagger
06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I would sooner invest in a better system, but if i was already running IL2 in perfect mode at optimum frame rates then T-IR would be on my wish list.

Mouse pan /throttle/ rudder = left hand

Joystick = right hand.

most comfortable for me.

x6BL_Brando
06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure that you can compare padlock to trackIR. I agree that it's easier to scan the sky using a head-tracker than a hat switch - but the presence of an enemy aircraft is not detected by by sight in the way it is by the padlock. Sure it's maybe easier to follow your enemy's line of flight with TIR but it doesn't drag your eyes to him. And it's less easy once you have made your turn to re-engage, having lost sight of your man, being disoriented by the change of direction and all. At this point having a padlock to pick him out again is way more advantageous than TrackIR. I don't mean to brag, but I've done without assigning a key to either Padlock Enemy or Padlock Friendly all the way through FB. I used it as a newbie in IL-2 Sturmovik for a while, but it never seemed quite right.

B

BillSwagger
06-13-2009, 05:56 PM
To be padlocked on an enemy is to commit your view to that angle for a longer period of time, which can be dangerous.
I'm always swiveling around checking angles for other potential threats. Once i've closed in to shooting range then i lock because they tend to whirl around and do things that would otherwise be a challenge to track. Perhaps having T-IR would be advantageous, in this regard, if pad lock was not an option.

Pad lock can also cause target fixation.
I've been shot down countless times because my FOV was locked in on target, in which i'm blindsided by his wing. I think you eventually learn to use it for brief moments of action, then unlock so you can scan around again.

Tully__
06-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Muddy17:
I would tend to leave it on for a duel does not bother me if others are useing it,,and in all fareness[THERE'S THAT WORD AGAIN} if one guy has T-IR and the other does not..I see T-IR as a padlock in itself ya know.
TrackIR is the same as using the mouse for view control except you use your head instead of your hand. The input device is different but the level of control is not. It certainly is not the same as padlock as it will not find and follow a contact for you, you have to use the mark I eyeball for that.

That being said, I have mouse emulation assigned to a joystick hat for view control.

Bearcat99
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
IMO that is apples & ornages.. no comparison.. padlock has it's place even with TIR.. I like external padlock.. especially for ground targets.. which I have a hard time seeing at times... TIR IMO is an essential piec of flight sim kit.. from my experience it's biggest detractors are either those who have never used it.. or those who used earlier versions.. like TIR1 or TIR2. Anyone save a few who tried TIR3 or later and stuck with it for 2 weeks is not looking back.

The thing that makes TIR so much better than padlock.. and at the same time so different.. is that it is totally natural... even before the 6DoF mod came out.. I had zoom set on a button on my X-45 throttle.. I had the repeat set so that even though it still incremented it was pretty smooth.. so I look around.. zoom in.. zoom out.. I still use that....

IMO ther next best thing to TIR is the mouse pan o a throttle... but again... totally different from padlock.. with padlock you can find the target without seeing it.. without even looking for it.... that is the biggest differenct between TIR & padlock.

squareusr
06-13-2009, 07:07 PM
om angle to angle and strains my hand when using it. I have to swap hands and use the joy with my left and look around with my right on the mouse, then I switch back to right handed joystick when I finish.
Padlock removes the tactical option of trying to hide by positioning yourself in front of a dark and noisy background. This unnaturally exaggerates height advantage and eventually leads to an incrase in the typical fighting height. This may not bother people who enjoy that style, but it can make the virtual lives of people who are interested in ground based objectives even shorter than they are even without padlock.

The second-best input device for view control after a head tracker is a touchpad integrated in your throttle controller or positioned close to it, but unfortunately the market for external touchpad devices is so small that they are nearly as expensive as a Track-IR. If you have a little talent and a broken laptop to scavenge (and a free PS/2 mouse port, touchpads integrated in laptops often still use an internal PS/2 port), ripping out the touchpad from there and glueing it into some comfortable position might be a very interesting option.