PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Deflection Angle

fluup
10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi all.

I'm a newbie in dogfights. Today I've read a story of a Dutch pilot in WWII. I quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just in front of me I saw his propeller-nose, antenna-rod and rudder in one line, so his bullets couldn’t hit me: every fighter-pilot knows that a
deflection angle is needed to hit a moving target. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anybody tell me what this "deflection angle" is??

fluup
10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi all.

I'm a newbie in dogfights. Today I've read a story of a Dutch pilot in WWII. I quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just in front of me I saw his propeller-nose, antenna-rod and rudder in one line, so his bullets couldn’t hit me: every fighter-pilot knows that a
deflection angle is needed to hit a moving target. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anybody tell me what this "deflection angle" is??

weasel75
10-26-2004, 11:25 AM
He means, that he saw the enemy directly poiting at him, not there were he would be the next second. So when the enemy would pull the trigger, the bullets would land were he (the author) was seconds ago.

The enemy did not lead the authors flight-path.

EDIT-ADDON: For Head-Ons its still dangerous, cause you fly directly towards the bullets - therefor no angle needed, same for shots from 6 o clock when flying straight line.

F16_Fatboy
10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Halfway down this page (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-th.html) there is an explanation.

FLSTF

BM357_Raven
10-26-2004, 02:46 PM
right... lining up a deflection shot is an anticipation game. Instead of lining your crosshairs over a plane that is moving from left to right, you must line your site up so that they are leading (ahead of) the enemy.

The deflection angle is the angle between where the enemy is and where you should be aiming to ensure that your bullets and his plane will arrive at the same point in time and WHAMMO!