PDA

View Full Version : Veterans day! Oh Boy!

josephs1959
11-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Great War movies on all day!

M_Gunz
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
On this day in 1918 Gen. Pershing and a French counterpart conspired to murder men who had
survived the earlier war for no good reason whatsoever --- and got away with it as heroes.
So the veterans (hello) get a day and some parades and not supposed to remember the lies.
I'd be happier if the top brass learned they can't get away with BS but their lesson was the
opposite, green light with extra pay and medals for wasting more lives.

stugumby
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
M_Gunz can you please enlighten??

I_JG78_Max
11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.historynet.com/world-war-i-wasted-lives-on-armistice-day.htm

Those who died at the last moments of a war, always seem to be the most senseless dead at the first moment.

Choctaw111
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
On this day in 1918 Gen. Pershing and a French counterpart conspired to murder men who had
survived the earlier war for no good reason whatsoever --- and got away with it as heroes.
So the veterans (hello) get a day and some parades and not supposed to remember the lies.
I'd be happier if the top brass learned they can't get away with BS but their lesson was the
opposite, green light with extra pay and medals for wasting more lives.

This day is for veterans, not a day to debate what this day is about, or which veterans we are honoring and which should not.
Many people and soldiers were murdered. It is a sad part of war. Soldiers of all armies are guilty of killing when unnecessary.

M_Gunz
11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I won't even answer that.

Enforcer572005
11-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Huh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I won't ask how you murder people by signing an armistice that ended an absolute slaughter but that's for another time. No commander is perfect.

Pershing did manage to keep an independent US Army on the line. Anyone who serves in any of our conflicts deserves to be remembered.

I just wish the history itself was remembered a bit better, since it seems to repeat itself.

WTE_Ibis
11-12-2008, 01:06 AM
It repeats itself because each generation knows better than the last.
You can see it every day in the disrespect for those that have kept the current generation safe.

The.Tyke
11-12-2008, 02:15 AM
We've just seen a documentary here in the UK about the last soldiers to die in WW1.

Apparently some US commanders were against the Armistice, instead wanting to fight the Germans all the way back to Berlin.
This resulted in some attacks being ordered only hours before the 11.00 am truce, causing 100's of doughboys to die unnecessarily.

Had they left it a bit later, they could have walked across German lines without a shot being fired. What a disgrace !! Everybody knew the guns were to fall silent at 11.00am and apparently some of the Germans were waving at them to stop attacking.

M_Gunz
11-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
Huh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I won't ask how you murder people by signing an armistice that ended an absolute slaughter but that's for another time. No commander is perfect.

Pershing did manage to keep an independent US Army on the line. Anyone who serves in any of our conflicts deserves to be remembered.

I just wish the history itself was remembered a bit better, since it seems to repeat itself.

You don't look up the history that you don't know yet wish that it was remembered better?

M_Gunz
11-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by The.Tyke:
Apparently some US commanders were against the Armistice, instead wanting to fight the Germans all the way back to Berlin.
This resulted in some attacks being ordered only hours before the 11.00 am truce, causing 100's of doughboys to die unnecessarily.

The head US shot-caller and the head FRENCH shot-caller, not US-only by any means.
More than just doughboys died in those hours.
It was a total abuse of power and the lives of others by "great men".
Pershing and his buddy should have made the attack themselves if they felt so strongly.

"Forward" he cried, from the rear, and the front rank died.

Jex_TE
11-12-2008, 07:34 AM
I fail to see why a topic cannot be debated because it's rememberance day. Should we only remember the heroes and forget the villains? It was an attrocious war on all sides and a disgusting waste of life. If anything it is the worst parts that should be remembered lest they be forgot.